Peter Gabriel new album and tour

I was there at 6 of the best too - still drying out…John Martyn and Blues Band were on the bill too…

1 Like

Yes, it was a very wet, grey day.

I certainly remember the Blues Band, but not John Martyn, which is a shame as i am now a great fn of his and have seen him a few time, including a few months before he sadly died. Perhaps it was this concert which put me on to him.

2 Likes

Perhaps we should start a thread for ‘concerts I’ve been to where I wish I’d paid more attention at the time’.

For me, it would be Billy Bragg.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea.

I wonder how far people will go back - school bands that made it or university hall concerts?

Yes, saw the ‘Back to Front’ in 2014, in the 3Arena, Dublin.
However the set design and stage position was better than for other gigs and presented itself as a smaller concert. Very enjoyable back then.

Plus Blood Life from this year’s RDS is a great recording.

Previously it was an outdoor concert in Marley Park, many years before, so 3Arena was/is better than standing in a field.

Bought for this tour, but not the most expensive tickets, but as Presale the best of Tier 3 pricing.

Yes, I remember it well. Still have the Programme and T-Shirt…

Steve Hackett joined them on stage just for the encores, so the ‘original’ and the ‘new’ Genesis line-ups were all on stage at the same time. Fan club members appeared to be in a continuous orgasmic state I recall!

2 Likes

You have a far better memory and memorabilia than I have, I just have half of my ticket and the wellington boots I bought for the day.

I’d forgotten about the ticket, so just checked that I still have it. I only have a sliver and I now remember that this was about the only gig I’ve ever attended where the bar-stewards on the gate tore the tickets in half! I was not amused, :rage: I always keep the tickets.

I think it would take someone with actual skills to set that thread up. Subject could be from any time including the local pub, but I remember the TV lounge at university when Tears for Fears were on TOTP for the first time ever and some braying hooray Henry insisted on telling people he’d been to school with them.

1 Like

Same. At the time, I was living in an unmodernised flat on a charming garden square two blocks from the Exhibition Centre (which I just found out was demolished in 2015 :astonished:). I remember it being a good concert, not especially memorable aside from PG doing the crowd-surfing thing, which I doubt he’d be up for any more :sweat_smile:

Only one concert for me, 20th June 2007 at the Eden project in Cornwall.
Followed quickly by seeing Genesis on 8th July at Twickenham.

There is a feature on the six of the best tour in the latest “Prog” magazine.

2 Likes

I’ve watched The Damned more than any other band, lost count of the number of gigs I’ve attended over the years. The last time I saw them pre lockdown the ticket price was £27. Then the announcement that the original line up is to tour with a ticket price over £80.
Are ticket prices so high because they get less income from music sales since streaming? Tom Findlay and Andy Cato of Groove Armada said as much on BBC Breakfast yesterday (Nov 9th).

Something has changed.

When I look at my Bruce Springsteen, Wembley Arena concert ticket at £5 in 1981, adjusting for inflation, that would be £17.27 today!

Which would be nice.

1 Like

I read somewhere, that its all the Rolling Stones fault. They - or their management discovered they could charge almost what they liked for concerts - and would still sell out. So they did - and sold out. And make money. Rinse - repeat. Others similarly big acts followed.

But not everyone can do this. I have seen Steve Hackett - and am going to see Suzanne Vega. Both were under £50.

Thanks, I feel guilty now having seen the Stones a few times and therefore bought into their inflationary scheme!

Yes, good bands and people can still be seen locally for a reasonable price. We have the Cambridge Corn Exchange where we have seen SH a few time and 10cc recently, John Martyn, plus many others, though I missed out on Suzanne Veg.

1 Like

Yeah, we have been frequent patrons of the Corn Exchange, but way more before Lock Down than since.
Bands are taking their time to get back to full regional tour schedules it would seem.
Most gigs since Lock Down for us, have been at Arenas and Large Theatre venues.
Seeing Joanne Shaw Taylor at The Apex Bury St Edmunds at the end of the month. Really looking forward to that🙂

1 Like

There was an article somewhere recently that said Ticketmaster increased the price of tickets according to demand. It’s known as Dynamic Pricing, a tactic also employed by airlines and hotels. It is supposed to prevent ticket touts, but it’s just monopolising their position as the only ticket seller for some artists. There are some horror stories of ticket costs multiplying before you can get through the checkout and people not realising.

1 Like

SV is in Feb’23… :astonished:

Well I’ve booked my tickets for PG in Manchester all the way up in the gods, for £65 each (pre sale).
It will be just over 20years since I saw him in the same arena on the Growing Up tour. Tickets were £35 back then for a little closer to the stage, which was in the round (centre) of the hall.
Fabulous show, which I sure this new tour will be too.

1 Like

Goodness me! how very dare they? :slight_smile: