Phone Stage Upgrades

How does the Whest Two.2 compare with the Vertere Phono 1? I have the later on demo at the moment and it’s very good, but perhaps a touch too analytical for my tastes.

Although I have a SN3 at present my goal is 252/SCDR so the Superline is an option but a significant jump in cost from the aforementioned.

Yes, I acquired a Superline last spring, and using it on the AUX2 of my 252. It works brilliantly with my Dynavector XV-1s and I have no desire to go anywhere else with it.

I am tempted by Whest as I saw interviews on Youtube with the owner/designer and he seems really knowedgable and interesting. A former musician and jazz buff who uses ATCSCM speakers - a plus in my books. Part of me is interested in a designer who only does one thing rather than many different things if you know what I mean

The thing is though… Would the options above Whest / Ear /SuperLine provide a significant increase in sound quality over a StageLine N into Hi-Cap?

Superline easily knocks the Stageline (even with Hicap) into a cocked hat.

2 Likes

My first separate phono preamp was a Rega Fono into a NAC 112. I compared to the Stageline at the time, but bought the Fono instead.

Fast-forward 10 years: I now have a SuperLine SuperCap into NAC 552 DR.

TT progressed from Planar3 Exact to RP10 Aphelion.

The improvements are obvious to me, but my wife and daughter do not notice/care, which simply illustrates we all have different sensitivities and interests. :grin:

1 Like

By all means try a WhestThree with your DV cartridge. I did.

The humble DV P75 in Dr T mode looks too small to be any good but appearances are very misleading. It sets a properly high bar.

We tried lots of award winning phono stages to displace ours and it proved to be much tougher than we expected.

Trilogy, Vida, Whest and others did certain hifi things better but just didn’t sound as naturally musical as our P75.

The Naim Superline was a bit better when powered off our NAC52/olive supercap using the standard 500R loading resistor, but only a bit. Pairing your DV cartridge with a special order 453R air plug z foil resistor really moves the game on. Yes, the Superline really is that sensitive to the optimum loading plug. Adding a dedicated Supercap DR with Burndy cable costs a lot but makes all the difference in the world to the Superline’s performance, at least to these cloth ears.

Finally, the Moon 310LP just works wonderfully well with our DV XX-2 and is another bargain.

I would like to hear a Tron Convergence one day though!

Hope this helps, BF

2 Likes

I have a RP10 / Superline powered with a Supercap. I spend zero time ever pondering how to upgrade my vinyl playback. That should tell you something.

I also have an NDX2 powered by an XPS DR. As good as that combo is, I often think about how to make it better (running it as a transport into another DAC… etc.).

Can’t recommennd the Superline / Supercap highly enough.

3 Likes

A friend has reviewed the PS Audio Stellar Phono Stage and he considers it an absolute giant killer. He sold his MUCH more expensive phono stage and bought this one.

It’s logical MrU, because it’s stellar! :grin:

1 Like

Well, I pulled the trigger and I now have a WhestTWO.2 dual mono phono stage. After a number of conversations with James at Whest Audio I felt that this would be the right Phono stage for me. Particulary as he uses ATC speakers and listens to lots of jazz for the design stage. Impulsive I know to buy without trying first. I will leave it to run in and have a good listen at the weekend. People do seem to love it once they buy it.

1 Like

Bit of a black hole for your money though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.