Phono amp

I’ve got my project phono amp plugged into the av input and it doesn’t work but when I flick through the buttons on the front it works on all the different channels I put it on like cd tuner tape but when I put it on av it doesn’t,why is this

It sounds like you have a cable wired as an output cable (at the DIN5 end) rather than an input cable. I suspect you’ll get this working through the other inputs too if you connect it to the the Aux 1 and Tape inputs, but nothing if you connect it to the Tuner or CD inputs.

1 Like

I’m new to naim so would a 4 pin cure it or does it matter the way it is at the moment

Which amp are you using?

1 Like

You need a 180 degree 5 Pin DIN plug. This is how it should be connected from the solder side of the plug to work as an input cable.

From your description and profile with the NAC112, it sounds like you are feeding the phono stage output into the outputs on those sockets, hence why you can hear it across multiple inputs. I’d get th right cable.

1 Like

Just to check you mean Phono amp not Headphone amp ?

1 Like

The AV input is wired the same as all the other inputs for Ch1 and Ch2. If your DIN cable is working for the others there must be something wrong with the AV input.

1 Like

It is, but the OP mentioned he could hear the sound through all the other inputs when cycling through the input buttons. Perhaps the OP will clarify…

1 Like

I am unsure if the OP understanding the questions… :expressionless:

1 Like

I wonder if the input is in AV bypass mode by accident and an overload relay is kicking in when it gets full line level input.

Does another souce like a DAC or CD player work on AV?

1 Like

Yes phono amp

And yes I can flick across the buttons on the front and still here my vinyl playing

If you plug the phono amp into the CD input, do you get the same behaviour when you cycle through the input buttons or any sound at all when you just select the CD input ?

1 Like

Might be useful if the OP could post an image of the pre to power amp connections just to discount anything obvious.

1 Like

I will check that tomorrow coz I’m at work for a few more hours

1 Like

AV and Tape allow the volume to be controlled by the input device to save fiddling with several remotes, as I recall. Yes, I have had some loud awakenings, but not with a phono. The recommendation is to use Aux 2 which can support power to a Naim phono stage.

Phil

1 Like

Yes, give it a go. That should at least tell you if you’ve got a correctly wired cable. The output pins which appear on the Aux1, AV and Tape sockets are post input switching but pre volume and balance hence why it’s possible that feeding the output of the phono stage into these pins with an incorrect cable may be allowing the phono stage signals to come through on the other inputs.

1 Like

Sounds like the cable is wired at the DIN end for REC (out) pins rather than PLAY (in). This kind of cable is ideal for connecting a headphone amp to a Naim preamp, but no good for connecting a source to a preamp. You just need a standard 2 x RCA phono - DIN5 interconnect.

1 Like

Correction the pic below is the one

And this is connected up to the phono amp