Phono noise

BNCs won’t solve your problem. They are crummy. To note, they are avoided in professional applications. They are not your issue here.

1. The plugs on the Superline are not Shorting Plugs they are Loading Plugs.

2. The purpose of the Resistive Plug is damp the electrical resonance that is an inherent part of cartridges characteristics.

3. The purpose of the Capacitance Plug is to reduce the amplifiers bandwidth a little and so remove any lingering radio breakthrough that may occur.

4. IMO Powerline is vile aberration and should be avoided at all costs. You’ve converted your power cables into an (pretty poor thankfully) RF transmitter. Hence if the noise is a ‘pulse’ kind of noise, then that’s where it is likely to be coming from. Use wi-fi instead, if you must.

5. If you don’t know what the internal resistance of your cartridge is just try ‘S’ loadings. That is 470 ohms R, 6.8 nF C. You may like this, you may not. I’m willing to bet you find it a little dead sounding at first, but you are currently listening to undamped cartridge.

6. If you do know the internal resistance of your cartridge, multiply that by 10. Regarding that as your lower bound and S loading as the higher bound.

For the record, the vast majority of cartridges have in-band frequency response dip, then electromechanical peak and precipitous drop in frequency response. You are trying to control that peak a bit.

You have not damaged the Superline by not using the Loading Plugs.

Turn the volume right down when you do anything with the Superline.

Enjoy!

Thankyou Martin. Trying to absorb all you have said.

I am told if I short out the two phono plugs instead of the TT being connected this will eliminate the TT if the noise goes. If that makes sense.

What does the noise sound like? A hum? A radio station? Or a Kraftwerk rhythm section? Personally, I would not short out a phono stage…especially with a new record player just about to show up. If you hear a rhythmic pulsing noise, switch off the powerline system. If its a hum, make sure any transformers are located a little away from the phono stage. If you picking up a radio station, try the loading plugs I suggested (or the capacitive one at least). Try in that order.

1 Like

Martin Thankyou.

It’s so hard to describe. It’s like trying to explain to a blind person what a colour looks like.
My wife describes it as a fire. For me it’s an intense interference with the volume on a cycle. Not sure that helps.

I will as suggested leave the phono short out and any serious changes until after Sat when P10 arrives.

Got a couple of power lines left to unplug but have been in use today. Will report back tomorrow. It all makes sense about added noise to the mains. They will all be replaced with hard wiring soon anyway.

Just managed to get the last two power lines unplugged.
OMG to my surprise the noise has gone. At half volume there is a hiss. Half volume with the Superline is very loud at 12o clock.

Thankyou All.

Soooo… what was it…???

Sorry - I get it now. It was Ethernet Over Mains adaptors.

A ‘Powerline’ is something else, in NaimLore ®…

s-l500

No problem. Glad you got it sorted. Told you they were the devil’s work!

When the RP10 arrives I suggest you try the loading plugs. 100 ohms is the lowest Id recommend, but you may find the S loading (470 ohm) with or without the capacitor I suggested earlier, a nice alternative.

You’ll find them in Superline’s packaging box somewhere.

Well done. Ethernet over mains devices are horrible and create so many issues.

2 Likes

I see the logic now. They were only a temp solution 1year to no cat 5e or better wiring. They are now destine for that popular auction site.

I have the load plugs. When the new deck arrives Saturday will give it a go. In the meantime sounds great with clear audio.

Yes not a good mix for audio.

Thanks All

1 Like

Ian the TP link product data over mains is unfortunately also called powerline.

Mike - Maybe but this is the Naim Forum… :smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.