Phono stage advice

BWAHAHAHA brilliantly put, Sir!

1 Like

Could say he’s been to the Moon and back?

3 Likes

Yeah, one night I listened to my SQ and went “Houston, we have a problem!”.

Great to read you’re keeping the Aria.
Enjoy…

1 Like

Hey thanks! Enjoyment will be an effortless side effect hehe.

2 Likes

So the “keeper” Aria arrived yesterday and noise floor is equal over the channels.

Suffice it to say the cash has departed the bank account and I have a large smile on my face.

Now to run this puppy in.

P.S. there were a number of very good alternative suggestions on this thread and thanks to everyone who suggested things. But the Rega for Rega balance as well as getting something my dealer could supply and support was also important to me. No doubts amongst these were very very good suggestions and perhaps even something better but I’m very happy with the upgrade and will have first class support for it.

4 Likes

So after a weekend of listening unfettered by a critical buyers comparison ear I can without any reserve say that I am in love with this phono stage.

Going back through my vinyl and rediscovering them is my current adventure.

What a good idea it was to do this.

7 Likes

Just played my first Iron Maiden album since getting the Aria and I am blown away. Everything so far has been far superior to the previous phono stage but I am literally blown away. With the Moon my Maiden collection always sounded a bit flat (and that went for a lot of metal).

The difference is chalk and cheese. So much more life and range to the sound.

7 Likes

It’s brill when that happens isn’t it, it’s such a surprise when you hear something for the first time and it’s been there all the time but the old equipment held it back

1 Like

Yes! This was like an upgrade of the turntable and the cart in terms of result. Only the poor things were doing their best for months now and I was not hearing it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My dealer dropped in an Aria and Vertere Phono 1 MkII this evening…

So far the Aria has moved me for a couple of hours! wow, what a surprising and magnificient change from the Fono MC :grin:
Now onto the Vertere…

2 Likes

The Aria is a very competent performer and the switch between MC and MM is nifty too. I have it paired with a pretty high-spec LP12 and I think it’s great, handles all sorts of material and serves it up with transparency, neutrality and a touch of sparkle my pervious Stageline lacked, though that was pretty good too! Be interesting to hear how you get on with the Vertere!

1 Like

Ah nice!

Curious to here what your findings are. This phono stage was not on my radar.

I’d appreciate some HELP! with the settings on the Vertere, I feel a bit out of my depth. I understand the Vertere Gain settings, however the Rega Ania MC cartridge says
Impedance 100 Ω
Capacitance 1000 pF (google tells me this is 0.001 uF)

I’m unsure of the correct impedence settings - 430pf seems closest.
What figure of resistance is closest to 100Ω? 1.45K?

Hmm this is difficult. I don’t quite know but it seems that the Vertere cartridges takes some loading.

In the bottom left box it says what the load is for their MC element. On the page of that element it appears that that the 1.45K translates to 1450 Ohm. From googling it appears that the 100R = 100 Ohm.

So it looks like 1, 2, 4 and 8 should be ON

The other capacitance settings also seem way way way over.

But that is my guess from this side.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s opened the sound stage to the same ball park as the Aria, but the back ground isn’t as clean and the Supernait volume is around 1’o’clock.
It’s going to be an interesting weekend…

1 Like

Yeah that is exactly what I had with my Moon and I was also loading around 450 pF.

I had to set my Star’s volume consistently about at least 10 ticks higher than the related digital stream. And had more background noise (I think this is partially due to needing so much amplification).

The Aria solved that instantly.

Can you set Gain on the Vertere? I don’t see that anywhere?

BUT that said, perhaps there is another magic combination of settings that will make it better but this is where my knowledge about these matters stops, sadly.

Thinking the same as Kryptos, i.e. you need to increase the gain (should be possible I’d suspect). You may also want to call your dealer or Vertere, if they have a technical customer service.

1 Like

Yep I’ve increased the gain, (it’s on the next page of the manual and I get that) and the SN2 volume knob is in familiar territory… Hmmm that evens things up more

1 Like

Vertere technical service = talking to Touraj.

How cool is that.