Phonostage

Worth looking into i have 252 already so would i need another supercap for superline or do i put the burndy i currently have into the superline not the 252.?

You can power it via the 252 as @NickofWimbledon mentions above. Just use a SNAIC5 from the Superline to the Aux2 in & pwr socket on the 252.

Now i understand cheers

1 Like

Get yourself a second hand RP10 with Apheta 2 , second hand , and a Superline. You will probably listen much less often through your Ndx2. :wink:

1 Like

Having had a rega p10 with apheta3 and then the aphelion2, plus i also had the rega aura phono stage, and naim superline running off a 552dr and then supercap dr, i can say this.

Best valve versus sound is a secondhand superline running off the power supply from your 252. After that i would go for the rega aura phono stage if you keeping with rega cartridgeā€™s, as itā€™s all designed to work fantastically with each other.
Plus its much cheaper than the superline/supercap combo.
But secondhand auraā€™s do come up secondhand now and again for about Ā£2k and this would be the way to go if you can find one.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve become too lazy with age so no going back to hardcore vinyl guy for me :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for info i will see what the secondhand market has and take if from theirā€¦

Sadly, @dunc is right on cost.

Almost all of us (note that it is not 100%) rate the Superline powered by a Supercap as better than the same SL powered from 52 or 252. I think that a smaller majority prefer Supeap power to power from a 552.

A larger majority also rate SL power from preamp as better than Superline powered by a Hicap.

Mind you, that is less obvious imho if you have a Superline but have not spent a few pounds extra to get the right Z-plug for loading the Superline.

The big issue here is value for money.

eBay suggests a Superline can be found for Ā£2200, versus almost Ā£3K new. A Supercap PS is over Ā£5K new, and very roughly half that second-hand. A Rega Aura is ā€˜onlyā€™ Ā£4K-ish new or Ā£3K-ish secondhand.

A Rega Aria is Ā£1100 new but hard to find secondhand. The Dynavector is Ā£800 new or half that secondhand. I am not the only one that rats it above the Aria, though not of course quite as good as Aura or SL.

In other words, even secondhand, both Superline and Supercap are expensive. Together they cost a packet, making an Aura look a bargain. The Dynavector appears astonishing value - even if neither Rega nor the DV is quite as good to most ears as a correctly-powered Superline.

A bit of patience may be rewarded if looking for a used Superline .

3 Likes

The apheta3 is a great cartridge, and it was my personal favourite rega cartridge, i also preferred it with the rega aura phono stage just slightly more than the superline/supercap combo.
But really it depends on if you are going to stay with rega cartridgeā€™s or not, as if you think you might try other makes in the future, then you might be better with the superline as you have more options on loading going forward, as you can get different ones made up to suit.
You canā€™t do this with the rega phono stages.

Also this could also be a benefit or not, but you donā€™t need to keep the aura powered up 24/7 unlike the superline to get the best from it, also its completely silent unlike a naim power supply if you ever add one to it.

Or for a curveball you could go try some valve phono amps, this is an even better way to go in my experience. Valves and vinyl are just the perfect match.

I am no linguist, but ideally we would use a subjunctive verb construction here, as it acknowledges that the notion expressed is contrary to fact.

The most famous example of a subjunctive in English is probably from a song - "If I were a rich manā€™ - ā€˜wereā€™ here is not a past tense. In the same way, I could have written: ā€œWere you not already the owner of a 252ā€¦ā€

English grammar is a mess, and anyone who gets it all correct will probably be thought a bit strange. Fortunately, most people here (like the language itself) are pretty forgiving, as long as what we write is comprehensible.

4 Likes

By the way there are a few secondhand superlineā€™s for sale right now, not hard to find if you do a search or like fishing.

2 Likes

Superline seems to have more options and thatā€™s a good thing knowing one could change cartridge if want a changeā€¦

Graham Slee make wonderful phono stages , good thing is that they do not offer a split MM/MC stage, you are paying for a quality bit of kit that is dedicated to your cartridge , you arenā€™t paying for superfluous electronics

1 Like

The DV is ultra-adaptable - you just lift the lid.

The SL is very adaptable - youā€™ll get a bag of loading plugs and one or two of these will suit most cartridges. If you really need something different for loading, you can probably get it made for you at comparatively modest cost.

The Regas and many lower cost phono stages (and a few that are far from low-cost) are as I understand it rather less adaptable.

1 Like

Thatā€™s one big advantage the superline has, plus its the reason i went back to using one for a while till i found valves.
But the aura also has loading, plus itā€™s easy to adjust as itā€™s on the front panel

@Dunc highlights a great point.

Input from Rega Aria users please!

Are there any real-world cartridge choices that are not easy to accommodate with an Aria?

Same question for Aura users.

1 Like

I have an Aura on my RP10/Apheta 2 with a 250/282/Supercap combo. I upgraded from an Aria which itself was excellent. I got the Aura as an ex demo and it is absolutely superb. It copes with my prefominantly rock and metal oriented collection admirably providing loads of detail, power and bass. Iā€™m very happy with it.

3 Likes

My vote:

Go Superline, and power it from the 252. The Superline alone is a very highly regarded phono stage.

Sure, a Superline with a dedicated Supercap will no doubt be better. A Rega Aura will no doubt be better than an Aria. You pay, you get, but at least with the Superline you will have that upgrade path if ever you choose to pursue it.

Ian

4 Likes

Another option would be the Cyrus Phono Signature with PSX R2 power supply. Super adjustable and very highly rated. Iā€™ve never been happier with my vinyl playback since I purchased mine. I have to say I have a P8 and Hana ML cartridge so not the Rega synergy mentioned about with Rega phono stages.

4 Likes

You beat me to it. The Cyrus is very flexible and easy to tweak. Although saying that Iā€™d have liked a 55dB and 65dB gain settings.

1 Like