Pink Floyd "Animals" 2018 Remix - out September & October

Just listened to it on Qobuz. I didn’t expect too much difference from the version I have known for 30+ years but I am surprised and impressed to say that it is a lot different and very good indeed. Super clear and (just like the TV Times) I never knew there was so much in it. Blu ray audio ordered. Now do it for Atom Heart Mother!

1 Like

I’ll be buying the SACD, and I don’t even like PF that much!

But do like Animals LP the most. And hearing a 5.1 mix is quite exciting.

1 Like

Unless I’m looking at the wrong websites, it seems that the standalone Blu-ray is going for about £20 whereas the standalone SACD is going for more like £50. Any thoughts on this rather striking disparity?

I would have preferred the SACD to the Blu-ray, but not at that price difference.

Mark

I assumed the Blu Ray was only available as part of the box set. The price of which seems to be not much more than the actual SACD.

I agree that it’s over priced.

I bought my Manticore and Linn from Tonbridge HiFi Consultants.

1 Like

As far are as I know the sacd is only available in the U.S. and is produced by Analogue Productions. The disc costs USD35 and by the time you add on vat and very high shipping costs together with a poor exchange rate it makes it expensive. Obviously this disc will be imported but the price will reflect all of these costs. Anyone with the blu-ray option will find this far cheaper.

That’s a shame. Another undeserved nail in the (already rather well-secured) coffin lid of SACD.

Mark

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up and now ordered.

1 Like

My copy of the £20 blu ray audio turned up today (one day before its release!) and I have been playing it. It does indeed sound a lot better than the original I reckon – I am guessing it has been completely taken apart and put back together differently and you can hear all sorts of things not in the original mix. I have played the 5.1 surround mix squashed to stereo and this is the clearest of the bunch. I think the prayer on sheep had some vocal processing on it, and it has much less on this version. I think they have also taken a lot of reverb off the vocals because they sound clearer and flatter. There is some bass on sheep that is below what my speakers (Dynaudio special 40s) can do but you can sort of feel it. Overall I like it a lot and I hope this boy does other PF records.

3 Likes

Guthrie is the only guy they let near their multitracks…

2 Likes

I hope they tell him to get his finger out on AHM. Then it can be delayed for 4 years while Dave & Rog squabble over who thought of putting a cow on the front cover!

6 Likes
3 Likes

I’ve just downloaded it from HD Tracks as a WAV 196/24. Great job, loving it.

2 Likes

Just listening to it now (albeit on headphones - I’m travelling with work at the mo). Right from the off it has a different feel. The lyrics on pigs on the wing pt 1 have been brought forward and the reverb dialled back giving it a much more present and intimate (engaging?) feel.

Incidentally, Pigs (three different ones) is one of my go-to stereo auditioning tracks.

3 Likes

Can anyone explain how an LP, CD or whatever form of music carrier which is released in September or October of 2022 is called ‘the 2018 release’?

The master tapes have surely not been sitting in Mr Guthrie’s studio, unused and unreleased, for the best part of four years. Or am I missing something very obvious indeed?

I shan’t be rushing out to buy that particular LP in any event. A not-very-good and uncharacteristic release by the mighty Floyd

@graham55

See @TheKevster’s post a couple above yours…note “a four year delay”…

As to whether you should hear it or not, your choice - I would and have.
It certainly brought the album to life for me.

3 Likes

A bun fight over the liner notes I think.

I’ve had this on rotation for the last couple of hours. My first listen this morning threw me somewhat - sounded great but the difference from what I was used to was slightly unsettling.

I think it sounds glorious.

8 Likes

The wonderf…

Bugger. Wrong thread.

Ahem…it’ll vanish shortly.

1 Like

Thank you, gentlemen, I hadn’t seen the post above.

I wonder if Mr Gilmour and Mr Waters send each other Xmas cards?

3 Likes