Pink Floyd "Animals" 2018 Remix - out September & October

Does anyone else have a problem with noise / crackle on the 1st track on both side trying to decide if it’s bad enough to return it to Amazon.

ATB Graham

1 Like

My copy had several tiny spots of stuck on dirt (that came off easily enough, after a careful clean) but apart from that, thankful for a good pressing.

1 Like

A friend who has both has told me that the Blu-ray sounds better than the 24/192 download. Has anyone else found this to be the case and if so, why should it happen.

Just had my replacement vinyl arrive having sent my first one back to Amazon - giving it a spin now and more bloody crackles and pops.

I have a RCM on order so a shame I don’t have that with me now as I hope I could clear this up.

Had a listen all the way through to the 24/96 LPCM 5.1 mix. I’m not super-familiar with previous mixes, but this sounds very good indeed. Roger still sounds like he’s got a cold in both halves of Pifs on the Wing. Some moments:

• Enormous room-filling bass at 25:00 (Pigs, just before the Whitehouse verse)
  • Electric piano at 30:00 (beginning of Sheep) in the surround channels.
  • The das boot trailer at the end terrified me - I wasn’t expecting it at all!

The 5.1 mix is perhaps a bit more tasteful than I might have liked, but it will probably suit the majority of listeners better this way.

The title cards at the start of each track and the subtle changes in the colour wash of the photograph on the screen as the tracks transition from one section to another are a nice touch too.

Now, when’s Guthrie going to have a go at Meddle?

Mark

4 Likes

I would very much like to hear a modern vinyl copy of ‘Meddle’, which I think is one of the best of their earlier albums. I want to hear the Kop in full voice (and I’m not even a Liverpool FC supporter).

6 Likes

What gets me about these super dooper vinyl remasters is why they go to all the trouble of doing such a nice presentation, and then slip the record into a ha ha charade you are cheap and nasty inner-sleeve.

Anyway, my vinyl cleaned up okay and it checks out perfectly flat,
and placed into a new poly-paper inner-sleeve :pig: :+1:

6 Likes

That annoys me too. I have yet to open my album, which arrived on Friday. Maybe I should get up early to clean it and check it out before switching on the TV.

1 Like

I think I’ll order a replacement and keep the best of the two. There are a handful of clicks and pops on Dogs, particularly noticeable in the quieter passages. There are a few loud pops just before the prayer on Sheep too. I have always loved the bass at the end of Pigs (Three Different Ones), which really rocks, especially in its cleaned up form.

I don’t wish to sound like I’m capitalising on anyone’s misfortune, but all these vinyl pressing issues are in no way helping to persuade me that there is unalloyed joy in wait for me if I were to join the ranks of vinyl converts.

I remain a silver disc boy.

Mark

6 Likes

@lsca-Dumnoniorun - That was my concern that if I return my copy I will get a worse replacement as I suspect Amazon my have a faulty batch but as usual it’s just the look of the draw with new vinyl.

ATB Graham

1 Like

After listening to this reissue on and off all weekend and comparing with my original first press copy. I think my original will be my go to choose. I much prefer the muddy low fi “angry” feel of the original to the audio file production of this release.

This is just my opinion.

ATB Graham.

6 Likes

I’m going to wait a week or so before ordering a replacement, hopeful that I’ll get one from a different batch. I won’t return the first one until I’ve checked the second. If they’re both bad I’ll return them both and order the CD.

Clive a quick question did you order your copy of Animal’s from Amazon if so how is it possible to keep your original copy and receive a replacement.

I have asked amazon for a replacement but can only find a refund option after I have returned my defective copy.

Thanks in advance Graham.

I think you buy a second copy…….and send one or both back.

3 Likes

Just got around to hearing the mix on Qobuz (wanted to hear mix first to decide if physical version would be worth it). I was really amazed - some new mixes feel like a half hearted twiddling of a couple of knobs however, this one has clearly had a lot of thought and care put into it to produce a better product by changing different things in different songs. It seemed to me that anything that is great is turned up and anything that is not perfect is further back in the mix plus every reverb setting on the vocals has been carefully considered and additional effects added (or brought back). The David Gilmour bass in 3 Pigs is rightly turned up. The reverb on Rog is dialled back. There are several new or more prominent keyboard parts. The drums in Dogs were really well played and recorded and now sound amazing. The “Psalm” section of Sheep is also amazing and much clearer. Loads of other changes. I can hardly believe that the 4 Floyds/families could actually agree on such a large number of changes.

4 Likes

Several reviews on Amazon are pointing out the pops and crackles on the vinyl.

I’ve just tried sending my second copy back for another replacement but it is not allowing me to do so at present - only offering a refund.

Hi Graham,

Previously when I have done this I reported a defective item and was offered either a replacement or my money back. I then selected replacement, which was delivered the next day. I then had about month to return the defective disc. This way it’s possible to choose the best disc and best sleeve etc.

If that has changed since the last time I did it, I guess @Gazza’s approach should work.

Given what @Isca_Dumnoniorum says, it’s definitely worth waiting a bit before ordering a replacement. I may just go straight to CD - the ND555 isn’t too shabby.

ATB, Clive

3 Likes

When Amazon receives a large number of return requests due to quality they stop offering replacement options. If returns continue to be exorbitant they ultimately remove the record from sale.

2 Likes

I’m in the process of sending my second copy back for a refund. I was offered a further replacement, but expect it to be just the same. The clicks I heard were in the same place on both copies.

‘troll

1 Like