Pink Floyd "Animals" 2018 Remix - out September & October

Very impressive and yes, it does dig out a lot more detail from the murk. I still prefer the original for its lovely dark and slightly muffled charm.

3 Likes

I do the same Pete. The crazy copyright prohibitions give me the sh… you know the Australian vernacular. I am a fan of home town hero John Butler. Can get a 16-44 download of Flesh & Blood here via normal channels. Or a 24-96 version either via VPN and Paypal or by using the dark arts.
This is also true for so many local releases. I am a fan of ABC Jazz and ABC Classics releases. Have to go offshore to get the higher resolution files. I spend $2-3k a year on music, most of it off shore. Using VPN and Paypal. It gets hard to justify sometimes when it is easier to just do the wrong thing. Local music distributors are so lazy here in Aus.

I once got caught by HD Tracks only cause there was a problem with the download, when I complained they gave me a refund and a slap on the wrist and warned me not to do it again. I simply waited 10 minutes paid by card and got the album successfully. I don’t why people overseas can legally purchase hi res files but we can’t, I have noticed that maybe changing as a lot of stuff in HD Tracks doesn’t have the annoying “not available in your region” tag anymore.

I’m not really sure where my version was pressed (I am in Canada) but its very very good, flat, clean and quiet. My old 1977 copy was pretty much worn out so its nice to have a new copy and while the mix is definitely different, I like it.

At least I had a spare vinyl styl inners to put it into

1 Like

This is a bit of a downer, reading of all these LPs being faulty, and I haven’t even been home to open my copy yet.

I have given up with the vinyl for this.

First copy was full of clicks and pops and the replacement didn’t even get played.
It had a nasty looking scuff mark on side B track 1 and didn’t want it anywhere near my Kandid! :grimacing: :frowning_face:

1 Like

Having read about a seeming preponderance of pops and clicks here and in another forum, I do wonder whether these are in the main down to what my pressing had - tiny little bits of stuck-on dirt (feelable so easy to locate) that came off pretty easily…apart from these (irritating though they were) my pressing, once they were dealt with, is really good. Obviously, I’m not referring to scuffs, scratches, non-fill etc. which I absolutely agree need replacing.

Makes me think a minor dust storm blew through at the plant.

My first copy had light coloured bits actually pressed into it, these wouldn’t clean off completely. Whatever happened, it’s sounding like it affected quite a few pressings.

‘troll

Just got my copy, a nasty short (1/4" long) gouge on side 1, track 1, looks like a machine handling/packaging issue. The vinyl itself is nice and flat. Return started, ordered another one. Made in Netherlands printed on back cover.
Update:
I dropped the needle onto track 2, Dogs, and then played side 2 all the way through without issue. The sound mix is really good, I like it much more than my 1977 Canadian pressing.

I gave my copy a big clean earlier - really went for it. All the scratches, pops and ticks sound even clearer now than they did before…

7 Likes

Cleaned my copy twice did not make the slightest difference to the pops and clicks. Still not decided if I can live with this pressing.

CD version sounds good here. Definitely more transparent and dynamic :grinning:

Happy with the CD version…although I haven’t yet got it to play on the Sondek - bloody needle keeps skating off the shiny surface.

3 Likes

Guess it’s a bit disappointing that so many vinyl copies seem to be less than perfect. Maybe some should consider buying the digital version as it has no issues and sounds fantastic. If you keep both least you’ll have the liner notes and the full size album to keep. :grin:

1 Like

I could nearly make out the words to the “lord’s prayer”, nearly but not quite!

1 Like

I’ve tried the same with mine with the same result - so disappointing. Amazon are not now offering a replacement which suggests they’ve had a lot of returns.

3 Likes

I have a dilemma with my vinyl copy, it looks okay but my LP12 & naim audio is currently packed away while the music room is getting a make over. I won’t be able to play and hear it until after the Amazon 30 day return deadline.
Thinking about returning it now without playing, i don’t feel lucky :confused:

You must have known that the TT and the rest were going to be out of action for a time when you ordered the LP. What did you expect to happen?

Sending the package back to Amazon seems irresponsible in the circ’s. What reason would you give for sending it back? I don’t ever remember seeing an ‘I-forgot-that-my-room-was-going-to-be-redecorated’ reason on the pro forma.

1 Like

Do you have a friend anywhere nearby who you could visit to check it out? Or maybe a friendly Linn or Naim retailer nearby? I think I’m too far away for me realistically to be able to help.

2 Likes

It’s a parody of Psalm 23, not the Lord’s Prayer. Here’s the original for comparison:

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

1 Like