Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of The Moon, 50th Anniversary Box Set

I’d rather Chad’s mob did it than MOFI, but I know what you mean…

1 Like

It appears seriously overpriced for something which brings little new to the table & is already well known to half the planet.

Serious collectors will surely already own most of the package contents & I find it hard to see a rush to purchase at the initial price, no matter how attractive the edition may be.

Like you, I certainly won’t be splashing out.

If the new 5.1/Atmos version gets a standalone release, I could be tempted for the right price. Otherwise, I’ll remain very happy with my 2003 SACD and leave it to others to go through the modern hell of (possibly) poor vinyl pressings.

Mark

1 Like

I think the price for the regular “Live” vinyl is cheap compared to the price of most albums around these days.

A very popular website has it on pre-order for £19 with “free” delivery.

1 Like

I count only 7 :wink: normal early german, white german, 30th, EMI 100, CD from shine on box, EMI promo from the eighteenth and the MFSL UHQR.

1 Like

Looks to be a lovely box, but not worth £250.

3 Likes

I love the album, a classic and all time favourite, but I have no interest in having multiple copies - I bought the LP when first released, bought the CD when the wear on the LP was getting a bit much, ripped that when I changed to streaming, and also have a hi res version, so with actually different if someone is a collector, as opposed to purely having music for playing.

2 Likes

It would appear that is what a lot of prople ae doing.£251 for the box set appears to be too rich for a lot of palates. The live album has tempted me and is relatively inexpensive.

3 Likes

You can now pre-order the live album for £19.

I would be interested to hear it remastered. I do like Pink Floyd quite a lot but I have yet to hear a very good quality mix of Dark Side of the Moon.

2 Likes

Yes, a remix would be interesting, and in an ideal world only undertaken by the laughing boys themselves, but I don’t think that’s very likely somehow.

1 Like

Another album I have always said is crying out for a decent remaster including a remix of the applied frequency spectrum is Bat Out of Hell. It’s a very good album marred by it’s total lack of weight with the sound mix. Well written and well performed yet let down by poor production. I’ve been waiting (im)patiently for years for a decent remaster. Something like that of the more recently remastered Brothers in Arms which has brought a warmth and richness to the sound that was somewhat lacking before.

Yeah, I saw that and will buy it.
However, the remixed studio album is what I really want and I am simply not paying £250 for a box full of stuff I don’t want, to get it🤷🏻‍♂️

3 Likes

Disc 6 on the immersion set is fabulous and that may be worth getting if still available, but as others have said the product v price doesn’t work for me either!

Gary

1 Like

Is it the mix you don’t think is very good, or the sound quality?
Personally if I really like an album as released, as I did (and do) DSOTM, changes in the mix are not always for the better.

3 Likes

Point taken. The recent remaster of Brothers in Arms shows how the sound can change quite a bit from the clinically clean original to the warm rich remaster. Maybe this isn’t what is required for DSOTM though because it already sounds rich enough but I do think the quality could be better. I have heard several versions from the original vinyl album to the latest remastered CD and in all I can hear how the original recording should have been better. And yet I have read somewhere that great effort was put into it back in the day. Don’t get me wrong, I love it and it’s great. I just think the quality could be better.

1 Like

I think there are extremely good pressings out there. I don’t know the first press with the solid blue triangle, which should be the best, but the ones I have sound really good. I don’t see a reason for a remaster or remix.

2 Likes

Happy with my Japanese first press - good enough for me, don’t need a box set.

But I find I’ve also got the 30th anniversary pressing. Should do a shootout at some point.

5 Likes

I’m curious as to why it could be better, and how it could be made so. It is, by universal consent, one of the best-recorded and best-produced albums of the 1970s, if not of all time…

3 Likes

More cowbell :cow2:

Oh no, sorry…Atom Heart Mother

3 Likes