Pizza Ovens

Friends have the Ooni with pellets. We’ve had a few great evenings having freshly made pizza. I think they do the making in advance and proving in the fridge.

You can also use it for other stuff. Wood-fired vegetables add some variety to the pizza, And they cook in a few minutes.

Garlic Naan works a treat, too

1 Like

Just bought a Koda(?) 16” in the recent 20% off promotion. A friend got one a year ago and is going to give me lessons :blush: It’s still in the box in the garage as we are away on hols at the moment…

1 Like

Dave, interesting, thanks for posting. I haven’t tried coldvproving the dough yet, but will give it a try. What benefits does it bring ?

Cheers, Paul

1 Like

It improves flavour and texture and makes it look like you’ve put in more effort :smile:

If I have done it right, here is a link to an earlier thread Unni Pizza Oven

It is worth a look at the old Ouni thread:

Ours has done us well since we got it (mentioned in that thread). We also bought the gas heating option, and have used that several times indoors in the winter.

It makes for a fantastic social event, with DIY pizzas: We premake the dough and tomato base, supply a range of topping options (e.g. buffalo mozzarella, ‘plastic’ mozzarella, home-made ricotta, haloumi, other cheeses, fresh basil, spinnach, tomatoes, chicken tikka fragments, chorizo, ham etc., and people take a dough ball and do the rest themselves - and people share the product.

2 Likes

Grrrr, U know how just occasionally we buy things HiFi and just smuggle it in the house ( well I do still) So when the Ooni sale came up I made the mistake of mentioning before ordering it to SWMBO thinking it would be welcomed, hah got that wrong. Then it haunts me on the forum as well unseasonal but Bah Humbug comes to mind. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Ferrari G3 Delizia Pizza Oven.

Burn the witch! … … … I hear the unanimous cry.

Yes, … … … it’s electric … … … no, … … … it’s not wood fired … … … and yet … … … … … for years, I’ve been turning out the nearest thing to authentic Neapolitan pizzas (non wood fired).

Does exactly wot it sez on the tin, and after a bit of finessing of my technique, makes great pizza.

Perfect for those cold, wet, winter days, when standing in the garden making pizza is just the last thing I want to be doing, and if I want to be thoroughly OCD about things, well, I can always pop the pizza stone into my Kamado.

I know … … … shoot me now. :pray:

4 Likes

One you made earlier obviously………interesting, not heard of this machine.

1 Like

Seriously, Gazza, it’s a great piece of kit, though you need to be tweaking the cooking technique a wee bit over the first few attempts, to end up with consistent results in doing Neapolitan style pizza.

You know all those electric kitchen gadgets which end up permanently living in a bottom kitchen cupboard, never again seeing the light of day?

Well, this ain’t one o’ them. :+1:

1 Like

Yes, cupboard space is getting tight, but good to know it works well.

Looks cool but I like the ceremony of the wood fired ones

1 Like

I’ve recently acquired a dual fuel Gozney Dome, after having it on pre-order since April 2021.

Only tried it with gas so far.

Delighted with the results.

If you’re looking for great, frozen dough balls, try the ones from Warehouse Pizza (they’re made to a recipe from Adam Aktins who runs Peddling Pizza in St Albans and they’re absolutely delicious).

The owner of my local, The Woolpack, invented a pizza oven. Not tried it myself, but I’ve had good reports even at that price. I hanker after a clay pizza oven … dream on.

To test whether my desire is long term or just a fad my lady friend bought me one of these, which I eventually got around to assembling last week. The charcoal I ordered a month ago arrived this morning after I had chased the supplier, who was very apologetic and gave me a refund saying it should arrive last Thursday. I imagine this delivery was scuppered by the long bank holiday.

My brother-in-law has a Komado, and did a pizza party - it isn’t a patch on the Uuni (wood pellet or gas) for that purpose as after every so often it was necessary to stop to refuel and wait to reach temperature. Uoni can just keep on going (I made a pellet hopper so refills with wood pellets are less frequent).

Interesting. I’ve been thinking about a Kamado and the fact it seemed to do pizzas was a useful bonus.

Proper barbecue obsessives seem to have a Kamado, Ooni and a conventional one.

1 Like

BTW, one advantage of using the gas attachment with a Uuni in place of wood pellets is the controllability, and possibility of cooking at a lower temperature and thus cope with thicker base and topping, when wanted (though personally I prefer Napoli style with thin base and topping, cooked in just a couple of minutes with wood).

Pacman has been painted red and just wolfed a pizza surely ? :wink:

1 Like

Bargain I thought for £70-£85 and might well work a treat. Then realised the prices had an extra zero.

Even if it works well, certain items are just too expensive for casual use.

2 Likes