Pizza Ovens

Perhaps there’s something up with the gas jets and it’s not burning cleanly, also aren’t there two types/colour of gas cylinders? Is one type more suited to cooking?

We use our Uuni with wood chip in the summer, and gas in the winter - we use it in the kitchen when if weather too bad. In the kitchen we use it under the cooker extractor hood (not a recirculating type), and testing gas connection for leaks before lighting. Also before first doing that we bought a carbon monoxide monitor just in case.

Usage varies - a pizza party and it may be running for 2-3 hours, just family a lot less. I clean it after a few uses or after a party There is some soot build-up, but not enough to drop onto pizzas, just having to be careful not to touch the inside top with the pizza. I clean with a stiff bristle brush over the dustbin: I take the chimney off, doing it separately, take the stone and rear support out tap the roof to dislodge any loose soot then tip any ash & soot out and brush it. Also brush the inside of the door. It takes maybe 5-1minutes or so. Aside from that, I wire brush the ash grate after every use with wood, using an electric drill mounted wire brush, to reduce tendency for ash to stick and clog.

How are you getting on with it. My daughter and her fiancé have the same or similar one - results are good as long as you keep rotating the pizza, unless you want it somewhat burnt on one side. Always a talking point at BBQs where everyone can prepare their pizza from ingredients in the kitchen and then bake their pizza in the oven on the patio - fun. In fact they mount their oven on their heat pump sound damping enclosure - so it is a good height to look into the oven

Yes, rotating frequently is the key if you don’t like burnt edges - I put the pizza in, close door and count to 20, approximately 20 seconds, take out, close door, rotate by a quarter, and repeat, after turning so all sides equally it is usually ready = probably just under 2 minutes including turning time. If not ready then a bit more, focussing on less done sides. I find it a simple and effective approach, family does same and I advise same to all guests if a party. The other key things are not to overload, not too much wet stuff (limit fresh tomatoes), dust peel well with semolina, and don’t ‘flick’ too violently to slide it off the peel, or any excessive topping may be propelled further than the base!

And cut the olives in half - much harder for a semi olive to roll than a full one!

This all applies to using a baking stone in in hot oven.

However unless the hot oven goes up to 400C or more (750F), it won’t be cooking as fast as doing Napoli style pizzas. As a consequence they can have thicker bases and more topping if desired, but won’t taste the same. That’s not saying there’s anything wrong with cooking pizzas at a lower temperature, just that it is a different end product. Few if any general purpose domestic ovens get anywhere near that sort of temperature. I don’t know about lidded barbeques or lidded garden gas oven/grills - they might well be capable of it, but see earlier observation re barbeques.

Looks excellent! I think I’d rather have one of these …

1 Like

Just found this thread, should not be surprised ro find such a large group enjoying Napoli pizza here :smiley:

Started with a steel plate in the oven, it worked really well, I would highly recommend it to anybody using a conventional oven.

Then lockdown came and I got the Ooni, never regretted it. The Ooni is better than the steel plate, but you only notice it when you get it. And on miserable days, I will still revert to the over and plate option.

3 Likes

This salami tastes like Italians finest.

8 Likes

Looks lovely mate, nice job.

1 Like

It was not special pizza oven but I got good results for 11-12 in pies in Breville smart oven last week. Used their tin pizza tray and my stone. Mostly same outcome.

As I am a complete idiot and sucker for upgrades, I acquired a Biscotto stone for my Ooni last week. Not tried yet - supposed to make it much easier to avoid burning bases and to cut down on need to rewarm the stone between pizzas.

Wow, never imagined that pizza ovens have an upgrade path ! Interested to hear how it goes……

Paul

2 Likes

The next step (which I won’t be going for I don’t think - apart from anything else it is probably inconsistent with the biscotto) is to instal a turntable inside the oven to remove the need to rotate every 15-20 seconds or so manually. Apparently it can be fitted without permanently modifying the oven

From what I read, the LP12 seems to be the aficionado’s choice.

1 Like

I don’t think 450 degrees will do an lp12 a lot of good :blush:

Although I don’t suffer from upgrade-itis, it will be interesting to learn what you think once you have it.

I’ve not noticed any re-warming time being necessary in practice, as the rate of cooking exceeds the rate of preparation, meaning inevitable pauses between cooking. Certainly that was the case with just 2 pizza peels, but even now we use 3 (allowing 2 in prep (one rolling base, next doing toppings), with varied people rather than sticking with the fastest doing the prep). However after a while the grate tends to clog and a bit of clearing necessary with a bent wire poked through the rear vent holes, and a few min to get back up to running temperature - the stone of course has no impact on that.

I have to say I think I bought it in a moment of weakness, as I haven’t really found that I have had to wait before sticking the next pizza in to enable it to cook properly / reasonably quickly. But I have seen a lot of people rave about how good it is… I will certainly feed back once I have used it

1 Like

Bought this about 4-5 years ago and it gets used regularly. Secret is to use two bags of instant lighting charcoal and this gets the oven between 350-400C in about 15mins. Pizzas take 60s to cook and retains heat for about 4-5 pizzas before you need to increase the cooking time.

When this one has rotted away completely I’ll probably upgrade it to a gas ooni.

1 Like