Planning Permission Objection

There is some really sound advice here. Galvanizing a forum of legitimate objections from residents can be a very powerful weapon. Just ensure that all the separate letters are wording slightly differently (rather than obvious plagiarism).

On CBR600’s point above, I assume this was the first you had heard of this proposal (ie. No prior informal discussion from the neighbour)? If so, this could be mentioned, Councils do not like poor neighbourly relations and it may even appear in the LA’s guidance to those intending to make an application ( I have certainly seen it).

Finally, good luck !

1 Like

I don’t have any direct experience but have watched the stream from Birmingham City Council’s Planning Committee for some years.

My impression is that objections from neighbours count for very little. The Committee will, in almost every case, follow officer advice.

Hopefully this shows the development ( red rectangle) my garden is at the top and shadows from trees show it will cast a giant shadow over my garden.

Relations not great in fact all neighbours who received a letter from the council today hadn’t been spoken to and were spitting bullets.

This is a full application, with a decision due between 18 May and 19 June. There are no objections from the highways authority.

I think the success may hinge on how the council view infilling in back gardens, and their view as to whether this represents overdevelopment.

Any objections must be on planning criteria so it’s worth reading the local plan. The drawings indicate that due to the orientation there is little shading in your garden, which is good. You need to see where the windows are that would overlook you and raise objections if necessary. That usually means obscure glass or fixed windows would be specified.

It’s hard to object to infill. A friend of mine lives in the house where PG Wodehouse once lived, and the next door neighbour applied to build a house in the garden. Despite loads of objections and the PGW connection it was approved.

We had an application for 36 houses in the field opposite, to be accessed though our little close and I was one of those leading the objection, which was a massive effort and took ages. What I learned was that if you are not careful you can become obsessed and it can ruin your life. I’d suggest that as well as objecting you prepare yourself mentally for it to be approved. If that happens you can then see how you feel about it once it’s built, and if you don’t like it be prepared to move. That’s a bit crap, as moving is expensive, but it’s what we told ourselves and it’s really the only way to handle things.

Good luck!

1 Like

Similarly, when a company operating sheltered housing developments applied to construct a two and a half storey building which would both overlook, and dwarf, not only adjacent dwellings, but additionally, a children’s nursery and outdoor play area, and would be closer than the minimum “line of sight” regulations, the locals formed a group to oppose the application.

Objections were based on the obvious, given the above, but additionally I was able to prove that the local authority would be in breach of both their own planning recommendations, under PPG, but also the Local Plan.

Didn’t make the slightest difference, as the Chair of the planning committee decided that “the need for such accommodation overrules the regulations”. (And yes, that’s a direct quote, picked up on a “live” mike, which, it was assumed, had been turned off.)

As has been mentioned, whilst the developer may appeal a refusal, objectors only have the option of taking matters to the High Court, at huge expense, and with little likelihood of a favourable result.

Sorry to be such a pessimist, but democracy seems to take second place to the opinion of a forceful planning committee Chair.

Nevertheless, I do wish you a successful outcome.

Andy, the thought on the relations was that if you were good friends they might be amiable to change.
If not good then that option is out. If the scheme goes ahead I suspect relations might be even worse and upsetting for all parties (possibly even wanting toove house, etc) so a fall back position would be to try and gest best solution with changes that you could live with, (if it gets approved). Often such matters can impact ones health and better to minimise this risk and stress to you and family.
On the technical side, could ask an architect about plot density and size of property in relation to plot size.

1 Like

Thanks and well detected. I guess some would say I have a long garden so it’s not that much of a problem.

I am prepared to put in a spirited opposition but I learned long ago that life is not fair.

Just when you’ve lived in a house for 30 years and kids have grown up and left home - sadly my wife did the same thing - it’s difficult to cut loose but as a single person living in a 4 bedroom house it’s a bit extravagant. 60 next year so maybe this is the kick up the backside I need.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal with the developers.

2 Likes

FYI, in my area, the stated guidance is for in-fills to be single storey unless there is overriding rationale for this to be varied.

This doesn’t apply to site accumulations though, where plots are consolidated and densities increased (another target which LA’s have).

As @dave-marshall points out, there are micro & macro perspectives to such requests. All I would say is object, object, object and badger your local councillor.

I’m aware that some LA’s are very anti such opportunistic developments, probably due to the aspect of precedent. Of course, in London, such events are commonplace but, more often than not, dwellings are replacing former commercial premises.

1 Like

Actually it looks like a nice house and the idea of a recycled rubber roof is rather appealing. While I now know your address rest assured your stereo is in no danger!! Just do your best but don’t let it ruin your life. It’s just not worth it. Are the Chards hoping to move into it and sell the existing house? I’d imagine so.

1 Like

Yes that looks like the plan billed as a retirement home - so I guess they will be selling their house.

Excellent advice above.

The CAD drawings seem to have been made in Revit and the Solar Study is very limited as it does not show the shadow impact on your garden. The studies really should be made in plan view and show set Summer and Winter times. There should be guidelines on this.

But it looks like a classic case of ‘max out’ the plot and allow the planning process to water down the scale, ie, I can’t imagine a three storey house with roof terrace, back garden development would succeed in this form without some reduction in scale.

But one never knows in reality.

1 Like

Thanks good advice on summer/winter.

Yes did cross my mind the old trick of going into a band and ask for a loan of £1,000 when you only want £100.

So, public application or not, nobody wondering at the appropriateness of posting this on here?

Don’t see an issue, the applicant is frankly taking the piss in my view and thinks it’ll get approved, AndyP is entitled to make objections or support the application by saying nothing - he’s simply garnering advice and the benefit of other people’s experience with similar matters.

6 Likes

What’s inappropriate as has been said I’m just seeking advice in an area where I have no experience and I have been encouraged by the helpful comments provided that’s all.

All the information that say @anon4489532 has found and where others have suggested I look is in the public domain. But if you have an issue then contact Richard.

1 Like

Andy - I too have managed to access some of the docs about this scheme (noting the D&A Statements are on numerous PDFs). On the face of things, it looks well-considered in technical terms albeit, and unquestionably, the new building wouldn’t fit in with existing stock - but that’s not a headline factor for many councils nowadays (at least not to us laymen).

My understanding is that one cannot object to the mess & disturbance a development could cause, as there is governance around this, which is set down as a condition within all/most consents.

One thing I could not readily see is who owns & maintains the rear access cul-de-sac (e.g. is the roadway ‘adopted’ by the Council?) , as it appears to be for access only, to the rears of local properties(?). It also looks a single causeway?

2 thoughts spring to mind:

1- how is development traffic and access to be managed - and what can the neighbours seek by way of any conditions. Of course, if it’s private (with only rights of access given to local residents), it could be an altogether different ball game.

2- When others in my area have considered things like this, Fire Regs bit hard e.g. the need for access for tenders (& ladders) along a single width causeway and to mains water.

4 Likes

Yes looking at the application presentation it does make me feel like David against Goliath.

My understanding is that the cul de sac road is owned and maintained by the council but another aspect I need to look into to be certain. Thankfully the residents in the cul de sac have received the notification letter.

Andy, if you contact the district council they will be able to tell you if the cul de sac is ‘adopted highway’. They will have the details on their GIS. It’s worth beating in mind that the highway authority (the County Council) is not raising objections, and that’s what the planning authority (the District Council) will be taking notice of.

1 Like

It was the same in my locality and advice was that it only takes one David (of hopefully many) to aim a shot which could frustrate the application.

With our local case, many of the supporting professional inputs/reports suffered from a case of the Lord Armstrong’s i.e. being very economical with the truth. e.g. Referring to trees as providing an adequate screen when they are deciduous and could be removed at any time by a 3rd-party landowner.

1 Like

Andy, if you make use of the councils on line planning access, you should be able to see all the other planning applications in the area, and by looking at those on line file details, may see other applications that gave been rejected or imposed with specific conditions. This may give you a steer on which lines of action might be mist successful in your objections.

Just as an aside, the images if the building look good, and to my liking (as a stand alone building), but maybe not in the proposed area.

Happy to keep thinking if ideas to assist

Good luck

Paul

1 Like