Planning upgrade

Thanks. My 250dr seems to have no problems driving them even to loud volume.

What about the white finish? I think the black/black grilles finish looks particularly monolithic, more so than the cherry. I actually like the 40’s with their grilles on, but may be in a minority here.

Yes, I feel the NAD has a bit more punch and definately more treble extension but some harshness on vocals. Pretty good amp for the price though. I have to decide whether to cancel my 250 order and go with the SCM40s with the NAD amp or get the 250 now (I use Harbeth M30.1 speakers at the moment) and wait for funds to recover to get the ATCs

So far I haven’t noticed any harshness on anything I have listened to. They seem to me very refined and have a great balanced sound.

Thanks BigAl
TBH I do like the aesthetics but they are quite dominant in the room, although after some time adjusting I’m sure they would feel less obtrusive. The white may be a bit too bright against the dark grey walls, but think I prefer the black.
The cherry doesn’t really blend in.
BTW I am waiting on a new rack to tidy things up.

4 Likes

Nice system, and great choice of speakers too - hope you get to keep them long term. Agree, black ash would probably be better. I also (and I’m probably in the minority), really like the metal grilles too.

I like ATC speakers (and infinite baffle bass). Remember hearing the ATC SCM40 at a Rega event, with a P8 (this was before the P10 launch) and Osiris upstream, and the combination sang. It was a real ear opener as to how good a simple system can sound. Paul Darwin specifically chose ATC for the event and he enthusiastically praised their speakers as being some of the best value for money performing speakers available in the UK.

1 Like

Having seen your room now, I would agree that of the very limited colour options available with the 40’s, black would be the best finish to go for.

Having heard the ATC’s, they are a really good 'speaker.
They are “neutral” in a GIGO sense, without being sterile in any way, and exceptional vfm within the hifi world.

I don’t think they are any more intrusive than a black TV with a reflective screen within the context of your room there.

1 Like

Thanks BigAl
Can I quote you to Mrs StuW? :rofl::rofl:

Sorry, I meant that the NAD amp had some harshness compared to the 250. The 40s are definitely not harsh

1 Like

You certainly can, Stu, and as a bonus my services in this instance are free as well. Win, win!

Seriously, in the hifi market they are a bargain if anything in that market can be called so IMVHO.

Best, Al

1 Like

Interestingly one thing which has always made me reluctant to try ATC speakers is their reputation for highlighting poor recordings. To me a bad recording is a bad recording and so far I have not found that they exacerbate this in any way. I have some albums which have erred on the bright coarse side in the upper frequencies (Powerage by AC/DC) being one. This now sounds smooth and full sounding and strikes me as being a pretty decent recording. I remember on my first system CD5i and nait 5i with original neat motive 2s I simply wouldn’t play it as it sounded thin and brittle. I now can’t wait to get it played (along with everything else) and realise what I’ve been missing out on!!
Can’t get too excited as they may not be keepers :confused:

1 Like

Perhaps I should have said even-handed rather than neutral. Hopefully, some of forum members who have owned these for a while can complement your impressions with their experience. Hopefully, Mrs StuW will come on board with them.

1 Like

Don’t forget the 19’s are in the same size enclosure ( wide x deep). So may as well stick with the 40’s. Also the 40’s are so much better!

1 Like

This is very true and the 40s may be perceived as neater without stands and trailing speaker cables

Or go active and save on rack space as well :wink:

1 Like

Hope the ATC SCM40 will stay. I enjoy mine very much. Got the cherry ones, but black ash is nice as well.

If you get the SCM50 you can choose other finishes as well, and they come on stands, so could be suggested as a small and less dominating alternative… :blush:.

2 Likes

I loved the sound of the SCM19 and 40 when I heard them, but the looks put me off, especially those awful grilles. I ended up with something completely different, but if I wanted to stay with ATCs I would be considering the SCM20 actives. They are more money, but you can offset that by losing your power amp and freeing up a shelf.
They have UK made cabinets in a range of nice veneer finishes which are superior to the imported cabinets on the cheaper SCM19 and 40.

1 Like

Thanks Porphyr
I think the 50s are out of my price range unfortunately. I do prefer the black ash but I can get these 40s for a good used price.

1 Like

I have considered the 20s but haven’t had the chance to hear them. My dealer doesn’t stock the actives. I think now I have experienced the bass and mid range on the 40s it would be a shame to lose some of that. It may be that I have to if Mrs StuW can’t grow to love them :rofl::rofl:

I came to the same conclusion, the cost is more than double buying new. But sometimes I still dream of having the SCM50 one day… maybe active.