Pmc/b&w?

Ooh, lime green, perhaps? Neon pink?

We need pictures, when it happens!

@anon23154165 Hi, there, was wondering if you are happy with your 25.22s. Am considering them as well (new 25.22i series) but need to be somewhat close to wall. Working out well in your room?
Thanks.

Very Much so, they’ve been fantastic. Took a week or so to run in. I have them about 45cm from the back wall (but have been closer) and about 75cm from the side walls. I haven’t experienced any boomy bass problems with them. It certainly helps that they’re front ported.

They seem very forgiving in terms of position. I had emailed PMC support with details of my room size etc and how my system was setup and they also recommended the 22 over the 21. I’d imagine the 22i will sound even better.

Initially, I sort of missed the B&W finish, they make beautiful speakers but in the end, I’ve grown to like the looks of the PMC but the SQ was never in question… they could have been pig ugly to be honest and I’d still have kept them :joy: Certainly don’t envisage replacing them.

That has frequently been said of transmission line speakers. The output from the vent of the transmission line is different from the output of a reflex port, so shouldn’t be thought of in the same way. Some have virtually no port output at all, the line purely serving as loading on the driver.

The only re-positioning I made to the speakers was to maximise soundstage / imaging. The bass always seemed under control. I’ve got mine setup in a 4ft near field listening triangle and they perform excellently in this setup.

Also, All,
I’ve had to call a ‘bust’ on the B&Ws.
I was really set to buy but started getting into the nit and gritty with the prices and it turns out that ‘they’ (the deep state/local distributor) seem to want to bundle some expensive US made speaker cable with a plastic box in the middle :frowning: for $400.

£500 over the price I can see on the UK website.
They won’t take them off or discount so I’ll take my business elsewhere.
I am going to try and get some Spendor D7.2’s imported myself directly maybe from the manufacturer or a shop even.
Thanks so much everyone for your advice and support. I take on board more than I might necessarily act on!

Don’t feel bad. Nearly all hifi sold outside of it’s region is subject to enormous price increases. Not always intentional gouging but customs duty, shipping, overseas distributor markup etc generally push most gear up 100% over the domestic cost. It’s a wonder anyone buys hifi.

Thanks feeling_zen,
I do feel bad in some ways but maybe as a result of their intransigence I found something I’ll prefer… I prefer the fact that it won’t be that dark wood already to be honest.
Who knows, I’ll let you guys know what happens with Spendor…!

I Had BW 803n floor standing speakers until recently and let them go as they were bettered by ATC SCM12 . Room size was the deciding factor’ plus the ATC just have bass I love and cannot really explain. It is just right. I have no experience of PMC speakers but I believe them to be similar in sensitivity to ATC ? ATC maybe a little lower and a little tougher to drive. Your 250 will drive ATC scm with no issues. I can recommend ATC but alas no experience with PMC.

Depending on the model, it’s almost cheaper to fly to the UK, buy a pair of speakers plus two extra seats on the return plane journey to put them on and pay the import duty on arrival.

Very silly, but I suppose that’s what happens when countries want to protect their businesses from overseas.

Mark

That’s not far off what I’m planning except UPS or any other courier other than DHL (so it’ll be DHL) will do the carrying and I’ll pay the import duty when they arrive.

If I did actually ‘hand carry’ them (as the Koreans I work with would say) I would probably get away with not paying duty but jeeze navigating a pair of floorstanders in boxes even to the airport I’ll pass on.

It seems to me that regardless of shipping you really need a trip to somewhere thar you can hear the speakers. PMC and B&W sound different. Now Spendor, different again. You might buy, with cost pf shipping, and find you dislike them.

I once auditioned 13 pairs of speakers, price range equivalent value today ~£2-2500. All had received good magazine reviews, many were the top model of manufacturers’ range. 10 sounded so bad to me there was no way I could live with them, instant rejects - yet at least one is well regarded by some people in this forum. Of those three one lasted just e few tracks longer, so only 2 out of 13 were real contenders, and one of those a clear winner on listening to a range of music.

Please consider auditioning, even if it means waiting until you can travel!

I have the 702’s with a Star. Great combo if you ask me. Much better than anything else I listened to (apart from the Revel which was close). I didn’t audition any PMC, so can’t comment on those.

Normally things like iPhones are 10% cheaper than the UK here through official sources and that’s down to the VAT being 10% not 20%.
I checked the import duty and VAT on loudspeakers and it’s 20% duty & 10% VAT so comparable to the UK pretty much (although not in a good way lol!)…
I take your point though.
I’m mainly annoyed that they want to force cables on me which will inevitably get put in a cupboard and actually cause me distress in some ways as I’ll need to ditch them at some point no doubt later and it’s sad to have to bin $450 cables… And not very environmentally friendly either although I appreciate that may be a small point in relation to the overall picture it makes me feel better to avoid.

Hi Innocent_Bystander
I agree with you and also agree (or would if I had the money) with what ryder said before 6d ago about different speakers and different sound signature.

It’s a bit facetious to say but people will get used to a lot of things, I could lose an arm and still make a cup of tea successfully I think. So the difference in sound in 4-5* speakers should be a lot less traumatic.

I can’t see myself leaving Vietnam any time soon as I would have to do two weeks quarantine when I came back.

I’ve gone off PMC and B&W and moved to trying to get Spendor D7.2
That was because B&Ws local agent put me off by trying to inflict unwanted expensive ‘gifts’ on me as part of the purchase. Also I looked at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/ and they slated PMC.

There was a whole thread last week about that review. Since deleted but fairly uniformly ripped to shreds by both those that like and dislike the PMCs. Best not to say more. Criticism of another forum and reviewer fell foul of Naim forum rules.

Plenty of polarised opinion on the merits of relying on measurements to judge quality. But fairly universal disdain for the artical.

Indeed, lots of folks on this forum, including me, very happy with Naim/PMC combination

2 Likes