PMC Fenestria

they are front ported? don’t know if it’s the correct term. But they seem not to be rear ported, so perhaps it’s less problematic with the wall just behind ?

Yes but with a side wall, about 30% of the energy is going to be directly reflected (and arrive out of phase). While reflected sound is normal, getting so much hitting you out of phase at nearly the same time as the direct sound is less than ideal.

Now, not everyone has the luxury of where they plonk their speakers due to domestic constraints. But, unless I was a Japanese hifi enthusiast, I would not bother with speakers of that calibre in a room like that and if I was a dealer, I’d not bother demonstrating them in those conditions either.

1 Like

Another set up of the Fenestria. At Hifi Lounge. Seems to be in a better environment here.

these PMC look like a bit like the Dynaudio.

It looks like Mr PMC is setting up the Fenestria himself… Or am I mistaken? Also, here, the 500 is a much better choice than the 300 in the earlier setting. I am no expert but the Fenestria look rather “big” for a 300…

i can’t say they are nice personally. Monstrous. Too tall, like the Dynaudio above.

It’s the picture that makes them so tall. Here it’s better.

Hmmm – similar hair do… But I think I was mistaken…

Or you could say He’s a midget. Look! He’s not even as tall as a speaker!

2 Likes

The crossover was passed around at Signals Fenestria demo, its huge, weighty with large componentry. I commented it must need a lot of power, PMC said not. Though my suspicion is its much better with a lot of current.

Transmission line, the ports at the front. But the problem is nothing whatsoever to do with that.

The lower the frequency the less directional it is from the source, so whereas the high frequencies radiate mainly forwards, bass radiates in all directions. This means that the closer to the rear wall the more the energy going backwards is reflected towards the listener, so placing a speaker close to the rear wall augments the bass. Fine if the response is tailored for that position - in fact if designed to be against the wall then moving them away is a bad thing, cutting the bass - but if not then the effect is to over-enhance the bass.

Stick it in a corner, and one side radiation is also reflected straight back, doubling the effect, so further boosting the bass (but minimally affecting the directional high frequencies). Essential for a corner horn design where the box is designed with a smaller bass horn than necessary, relying on the corner as an extension to the horn, but with a speaker not designed for that position the bass is doubly boosted compared to away from wall and corner.

Peter Thomas uses Fact 12,s…though he has a pair of Fenestria,s on order once the backlog of orders has been cleared.

This is the Malaysian dealer, AV Design. I will drop by tomorrow to have a listen.

1 Like

Hi FR,
The layout and positioning of the system was the owner’s decision. It was a constraint placed on the dealer. In the end, they had to insert a DSP unit to correct for some room modes. Fortunately, I understand that it worked.

1 Like

Did you get to hear them?

I recommend you also try Harbeth speakers, most realistic vocals I’ve ever listened to, surpassing even the mighty ATC SCM40. I own 30.1 and have a modestly sized UK listening room.

2 Likes

Yes, I had a listen. Very hard to make a judgement with different ancillary equipment. For now, the hunt continues.

Here is my current setup

Ironically, I had Harbeth M30.1 in my bedroom. They have since been replaced by ATC SCM19 passives driven by 552/300

2 Likes

That is one of the better dem rooms I’ve seen in the far east. i.e. only quite terrible as opposed to god awful atrocious.

1 Like

A pair of Fenestrias in Signals’ excellent main demo space -

3 Likes

Hi Joeling,
Given the rest of your system, you may find Magico speakers very hard to beat.

Best regards, BF