PMC Twenty5 23i with Gaia’s?

The standard threaded spikes have no locking nut either. I don’t see how they would move once set unless you are sliding them about. So not something I’d be concerned about. :+1:t2:

Thanks for all the replies, I’ve heard quite a few favourable reports with the 23s, not the i variant, but if the 23s also have the isolation washer, I’m going to give it a go. Can always return them if they don’t make a positive sonic difference. They are partly an anniversary present, so helps with the cost :grinning:. I’ll report back with my findings. Thanks again all - much appreciated :+1:t3:

How strange, especially for a company like PMC. The designer of my speaker stands told me specifically to do the locknuts up with a spanner. He said that if left finger tight they would come loose. Yet PMC spikes have no locking nuts. It seems an odd decision.

I always thought the spikes seemed slightly ‘loose’ as they are just screwed through with no locking mech…gotta trust these guys know their stuff though :blush:

I’ve had my PMCs for about a year now. 6 months on spikes and 6 months on my lower cost feet. They have never moved in all that time. Sound for me is the same irrespective of spike or feet. That said others may notice a difference and if it is better and affordable then why not. Personally I was very happy with how the cheaper option worked. Accept may not be the case for everyone.

When I used the spikes on my Isobarik stands I would tighten the lock nut with a spanner. Despite this I can guarantee that if I moved them I would find at least one of the nuts would have come loose. Since fitting the Gaia they haven’t been moved so I don’t know if the same thing has happened. This thread made me look at things again and it occurs to me that when I got the Gaia I bought them based on the speaker weight and forgot to factor in the weight of the stands which means they might be overloaded. Will double check.

What sort of floor do you have?

My PMC 25.23 sit on a suspended floor (1930s house), and I have wondering about giving the Gaia III a try too…

Cheers!

Hi, an old Oak suspended floor, (1670’s house). Given the age of the cottage the floors are not exactly level, the Gaia’s do a good job, sound and stability, easier to live with than spikes.

2 Likes

Sounds like it would be worthwhile to try the Gaia III in our house too.

Thanks @glasnaim!

2 Likes

The original spikes on my 20.23s have locking nuts. I can’t imagine PMC doing without the locking nuts on the 25.23s.

None with Twenty5.26’s.

Well, it seems I was wrong…

Perhaps they are different to ‘standard’ spikes, what with the big adjustment knob on top. It still seems odd though. You’d think any source of potential instability would be removed. Anyway, nobody’s complained!

Have had the Gaias installed for a few days now and to my ear it makes quite a significant positive difference :+1:t3: Everything just seems tighter and in its place, especially bass which is beautifully tight and precise. The PMCs are on tiled floor and previously used the factory spikes and shoes. For me this is 100% worth the investment.

1 Like

Nice to hear, I hoped they would work for your set up and ears.
If it wasn’t for these Gaias, I would have probably upgraded my speakers, but these have upped their performance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.