Polarbear back in the News (again)

Once you have the library membership and the App for whatever service they use you can read behind closed doors at home on an iPad …maybe even a plain brown wrapper…

1 Like

I’ve had the mag delivered having had a trial subscription, 3 issues for £5. Mags ok, was good to see Nigal in this latest issue.

Well done sir, and lovely system :+1:t2:

Good, i regulary read HI Fi News, Unfortunately i missed the May 2020 issue of Hi FI Choice, since distribution in Italy of this and other mags missed for at least 3 months probably for the C19.
Regards
Roberto

Mine arrived today - I’ll have a good read later.

I haven’t seen it yet. I hope it’s a good read? :blush:

1 Like

Hifi news can be read online, via google, for some reviews and also description of the magazine staff system.

John Bamford, Hifi News journalist system. These Townsend speakers are impressive.

You might call them that, @frenchrooster, but several different adjectives spring to my mind.

Mrs Ebor would almost certainly say ‘I bet he’s not married’.

8 Likes

I think he was married - the listening room was (IIRC) from the article in a soundproofed basement. Quite a system.

With a padlock on the outside?

G

2 Likes

All the details here

https://www.hifinews.com/content/john-bamford

We can forgive him, he uses a Townsend Rock turntable. :smile:

1 Like

…look hideous…not for the trypophobics… :thinking:

4 Likes

Personally I prefer their look to Quad 63 …each one his tastes.
Stephen Harris Hifinews journalist system:

PS: nice CD player on the back. And SME turntable, same brand as Ken Kessler from same magazine.

@Polarbear, forgive me for out topic posts. I was buying the paper magazine for 15 years. Perhaps I have the number with your ex system…

1 Like

Possibly the best and most realistic sound I’ve ever heard from a turntable was when Max Townshend demonstrated it in the early ‘80s at Cranfield. Well, at least that’s how I remember it!

Bit bewildered by the references to Readly and RBDigital. Both have iOS apps and both have logins which can be shared about which they make little fuss in the same way Netflix understands.

My sister has a Readly sub which she shares amongst 5 of us. For £2 per month I get to read these.

Future Music
The Big Issue
The Non-League Paper
What Hi-Fi
Electronic Musician
Mojo
Electronic Sound
Record Collector
Uncut
Computer Music
Stereophile
Rolling Stone
Total Guitar
Q
Under The Radar
Acoustic
The Independent

Under 10p per magazine by my reckoning.

Similar with RBD and some of the other mags.

The RBdigital App linked from my local library website (once you have applied for a " library ticket") has no subscription fee and has the magazines that you list, it also has audio books. Apparently most libraries offer a digital download of magazines FOC in this way for IOS and other devices.

I’ve been paying Readly £7.99 a month for over 3 years. It’s now cancelled in favour of the free access from Southampton library which I never realised I had!

It’s curious that Townsend do not make anymore the Townsend Reference. Only Rock 7, if I remember well.

Well done Nigel! Blimey, now you’re famous can I still, like, hang out with you?

7 Likes

Snigger :joy:

1 Like