Polite Request - please stop hoarding your Naim Gear

I just can’t get the motivation to find the right place to sell my old preamp. The pandemic doesn’t help.

I sell/buy most of my stuff on PFM (pinkfishmedia). Great site. Never had a deal go wrong.

2 Likes

The good question is how many spare items are allowed ? :slight_smile:

Ditto but I used eBay and Facebook market place as well to move some bits on that went towards the last upgrades - Linn Karousel and used Naim Hi-line RCA/DIN & Superlumina XLR/DIN for the 500.

So I agree with @GadgetMan as I wouldn’t have been able to buy the last two bits if the owners had decided to hoard them.

Helped save me a small fortune on new prices too and both were in immaculate condition.

1 Like

I have a Supercap in the loft, I’d all but forgotten about it but now I’m seriously considering going active I’m rather glad I kept it

1 Like

I have some old CB amps and am really glad I didn’t part with them, mainly because occasionally dropping bits into the system is a great way to be reminded why some early JV era kit was so musically right in spite of (and possibly because of) the rawness that’s been progressively erased with newer kit. The fact that they’re also appreciating in value is another reason I’m happy I’ve kept them :blush:

5 Likes

I only started selling on that auction site recently, and found it very easy to do. Naim kit seems to sell quite well, and of course it’s very easy to get people like Hermes to pick up from your house. I think trick is to not be too greedy on your pricing

Probably zero. Add up the second hand value of them, then think of that money sitting in the pocket of some old trousers stuck in the loft - doesn’t really make sense.

1 Like

Now that is a lot of money sitting doing nothing. They sell very well

Isn’t that irrelevant if you never sell them. However if you are actively using them, then that seems good enough justification. Perhaps you need to buy more kit to add to it to build a second system, or even upgrade to higher in the range CB kit

For some reason i read the title of this thread as:

Police Request - please stop hoarding your Naim Gear

2 Likes

If it were MUSIC POLICE, then thankfully I now have a list or hoarders to go and raid - Wu ha hah

1 Like

And they’ve doubled in money since I bought it so I’m quids in :+1:

1 Like

Can you go active with a micro utopia?
The spare supercap would go well on a superline.

No but I’ve just swapped out for SL2s the Utopias will be going very soon I imagine

No more irrelevant than having invested elsewhere (shares, savings, pensions etc), with the possibility that some longer term investments may not need to be cashed in at all in my lifetime.

I could sell them now and pass the cash on to my grandchildren, but I’d rather keep them until they go on to be appreciated as part of music systems they might eventually get as much enjoyment out of as I have.

1 Like

I think my worry there would be that anyone other than me would just see a 20 year old HiFi of old fashion bits and bobs, and just chuck them in the tip :fearful:

Old CB and Olive boxes are not so easy to find. Selling it for money is not really a good reason… especially when there is no plan to buy another boxes or do an upgrade.
On new black product range, yes selling spare stuff is an option, on oldest range i don’t see the point. Of course keeping more than 1 version of a box is not really useful, but being able to do some comparison and test various boxes is part of the pleasure, its not only listenning to music.

I’ve always used a 1-in-1-out approach myself, i have no equipment in my house that is not actively in use. I see no reason to keep old stuff, if i want to rebuy it in 20 years i could always do it then…

1 Like

Kept my NAT03 back, upstairs , unused nearly forgotten. Then my Magnum Dynalab started playing up( needs a service and new tubes)

Now the NAT is back in the rack , sounds very good - very glad I didn’t sell it. Also have my old Olive CD player upstairs , in theory for stand - in duty but my Universal Player pus DAC from UnitiQute will make an acceptable short term solution