Poor CD sound using 32/5 Hi-Cap 250

I think it’s rather unfair to try to make a direct comparison between an “upgraded LP12/Ittok/Karma” to a CD player that’s effectively in the budget+ category, particularly when played beck through a fairly revealing amp and speakers that are a combination very much balanced toward vinyl reproduction.

Also since after the service, vinyl replay also had some similar issues:
“kind of hard on the ear, especially when turned up”
“SQ appears to be brighter/sharper and more “in your face””
Vinyl replay appears to have lost that sweetness it had especially with good female vocalists."

This suggests that the acoustics of the listening room itself may be playing a part in the CD sound issues.

1 Like

@opus
Re the CDP - On the new CD6006UK the output is fixed, the remote control supplied does have +/- vol output control BUT I can’t get it to work…I assume it only works when used with matching Marantz Amp ? so in essence the amp is adjusting the vol output, not the CDP output. I wanted to reduce the output from the new CD player, as was possible with the older Marantz CD67.
I originally used the old CD67 via the BNC inputs/328 boards in the 32/5 - result was hard and aggressive SQ not listenable - it improved slightly using the Tuner input instead.
The new CD6006UK player when again used through the Tuner input is definitely an improvement over the CD67 provided you keep the volume down.

V_R

@Xanthe
Yes I’d agree with that up to a point. I’m not expecting the SQ from as you commented a budget+ CDP to be as good as the LP12 etc especially in a system that is balanced towards vinyl replay. I do however think it’s not unreasonable to expect the SQ from the CDP to be at least pleasurable to listen to, it is if used in the same system substituting the Naim Amps with a Cambridge A5 Integrated amp.
Although the CB Naim Amps were designed and built in the vinyl era, they also had line inputs to work with other input sources.
My main issue is that I’ve used this system for a number of years, including the older CD67 CDP and prior to getting the Naim Amps serviced all worked well including the SQ from the older CDP. The system is presently used in the same room but it’s more soft furnished now than previously, so that’s not the issue, if it were why then would it affect only the CD SQ and not vinyl.
I appreciate that the Naim Amps will burn in/get better the more they are used after servicing I’m already hearing that after playing loads of viny! recently.
Plan B is to use the Naim Amps for vinyl only and the Cambridge A5 for CD - sound wise I know it works and works very well especially with CD.
Yes a Naim or similar CDP would probably work better, but that"s not an option at present, I just have to make the most of what I already have.

V_R

1 Like

@vinyl_rules Has this got any easier?

@Christopher_M
Hi appreciate your asking.
After extended listening to a shed load of vinyl, I would say the SQ has improved from when first used after servicing, BUT it’s still not as easy to listen to as I remember. It’s got wonderful detail drive and pace but it’s still on the overall bright side especially with vocals, the bass although tight and very tuneful appears to be lacking a bit in weight.
The LP12 is in bits at present to get a Karma fitted, now that I have the proper K boards to suit. It will prove interesting to see what difference it makes.
As for CD SQ it’s also has a hardness/brightness to the sound, but it’s definitely worse than vinyl and only listenable at low volume using the Naim.
The CD player is presently used through my spare Cambridge A5 amp, with the same speakers and this is far easier to listen to, in fact it’s actually very good and musical being less shrill and fuller/warmer in SQ it just appears to boogie more- can’t dispute what one 's ears are actually hearing…

V_R

2 Likes

A quick update. Karma now in use with K type boards…a big improvement to the SQ in fact the best overall vinyl SQ that’s ever been in the house !
Wang Chung/John Hiatt/Robert Cray/Dire Straits/Chris Rea etc have never sounded better…just loving it …and plenty time to listen with this current lockdown.
CD SQ not in the same league…but I mainly use vinyl ! got 1K+ of those to choose from…

V_R

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your ongoing difficulties with CD replay. Have you considered spending $50-100 on a different set of line level boards?

The rest of the source chain is Rega Apollo via Chord Shawline RCA to BNC cable into a Chord Qutest, and a True Signals RCA to RCA interconnect into one of the phono inputs on the 32.5. I had the BNC sockets on the 32.5 phono inputs replaced with RCAs.

Also, are you using BNC/RCA adaptors to connect your CD player?

@snarfy

Yep - have being considering some replacement boards from the US.  I did try to source some Naim 729 boards, but no luck so far. 

The turntable is connected via BNC’s, I originally used BNC/RCA adaptors for the CDP via NA328/2 variable gain boards - but the SQ was hard and harsh “with vocals shouting right in your face”
I’m presently using the 32/5 Tuner input with Gotham Cat-1 RCA to 5 pin din cables, it’s a definite improvement, and with some CD’s it’s quite listenable, J Browne’s The Naked Ride Home/Looking East are some of the better examples.
On the the other hand play Foreigner 4 (The remastered CD version which may have a 5.1 audio mix ?) and it’s simply one of the worst CD’s I’ve ever heard, absolutely terribly hard and harsh it simply rips your ears off ! Even when played on my Panasonic XR1000 5.1 surround sound system via Panasonic UB900 4K BRP the SQ is far too harsh and bright, the vocals especially, totally different to the original album played on the LP12.

V_R

My first Naim system was a 32.5/HiCap/160. At the time I fed it with my Kyocera 301 cd player. The sound you are describing is what I heard. Most CDs were unlistenable, shrill and fatiguing. That system did not last long and I traded it in for a 72/HiCap/180. I also moved to the CD3 which made a big difference. Hope you can solve your issue.

1 Like

@ChrisBell
Interesting comments. I had a 32/Snaps/160 many years ago before CD was even born ! That 160 was a very musical amp, really struggled to part with it !
My present system of 32.5/Hi-Cap/250 with Linn Mk1 Kans (later type) using well recorded albums can be very impressive, but will also show up poor recordings for what they are. That’s the downside of a very revealing system, and most CD’s are just not that enjoyable to listen too, there are a few exceptions, all the remastered Dire Straits CD’s for example are excellent, just a shame more artists can’t seem to get the same quality of sound onto CD.
I’m a big fan of Paul Brady, but his CD of Trick or Treat is also just unlistenable, the vocals rip your ears, sadly missed out getting a vinyl copy.
Once this lockdown is over I’m going ask dealer for a loan of Naim CD player to see what that will sound like. Can’t borrow one as none of my friends that are into music have one at present.

V_R

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.