Portable hard drive to store WAV files?

Alley,
Sorry, you have answered my question, I can’t see how to delete the above post.
Thanks again
:+1::grinning:

The streamers would need the individual files extracted first. They would just ignore the zip files.

While it would not be impossible for a streamer given suitable firmware/processing power to extract the individual files on the fly, this would almost certainly be something a decent streamer would want to avoid doing for sound quality purposes.

Equally you would more likely than not have to select the zip file manually as any form of cataloguing of zipped files on an attached drive would likely be very fiddly to implement in software as you wouldn’t know the contents without unzipping. Not impossible to do but I don’t think anyone would want to implement this kind of thing.

Any media servers/software would also be unlikely to adopt this kind of approach.

Simple answer no direct play.

1 Like

One thing not to do…if you ever get a NAS with media server functionality unzip locally on the computer/attached external drive, then copy the extracted files to the NAS rather than attempting to extract over the network as that will take much much longer.

1 Like

Oh! One other thing…Sorry
Sometimes I find a file labelled I think MAC_OSX or such like bundled in the zip files. I know it’s something to do with Apple Mac operating systems but my windows computer won’t delete them.
Any ideas?
:grinning:

These will likely be OS X/mac OS resource files which are hidden by default when viewing on a Mac, but are used by the operating system for various functionality.

Personally I’d just ignore them!

This might describe some things you are seeing - I have no experience of the software mentioned. There are also terminal commands you could use to change various things but that can be dangerous if you make a typo, so again I’d probably just ignore them.

http://blog.hostilefork.com/trashes-fseventsd-and-spotlight-v100/

1 Like

If this is a backup folder, I wouldn’t want to have to unzip all those files before I could use it. To my mind, a backup should be an exact copy of the primary music library. Then you don’t even need to restore from it to keep playing music, as you can just point your server at the backup drive, and carry on listening.
Also, any metadata edits you make will only be there if you unzip, edit, and re-zip, which sounds like an almighty faff to me.

1 Like

I had a look at the link but its all Greek to my analogue brain :grin:
I have left them be as I don’t seem able to delete them anyway. Just thinking they may be hogging space on my hard drive.
:grinning:

First I use Maxtor 2Tb conected to Atom and I have few interuption. In begining I think USB on Atom is not sutable for hi-res files transport. After few days, I try Toshiba 500Mb and bingo, super conection, without any interuption. Toshiba is now my medium for USB transport.

Hi again all,
I wonder if any of you computer literates can help me.
My 9 year old Compaq CQ61 laptop has a power issue.
For a long while the battery has been dead but I’ve been continuing to use it ok with the AC power supply.
The laptop had now stopped powering up even when connected to the AC, so I bought a new battery and it now powers up again.
However, when I plug in the AC power to charge the battery, the power light and the LED on the power adaptor port does not light. Ive checked the mains plug fuse. I can hear a slight ticking coming from the square block that the AC cable plugs into, Does this indicate that the AC power supply/adaptor has failed?

Sods law, I just bought a Seagate 2tb drive to store my music files as discussed above.

:thinking:

Did you get an original Compaq replacement battery or a 3rd party one - I guess it’s possible that a 3rd party one might not be identified by the Compaq charging circuitry correctly (akin to camcorders/digital cameras where the batteries are chipped).

If the laptop works I’d probably run with it as unless the battery is getting charged I’d expect it to have stopped working by now.

What happens if you remove the battery and just power via AC adapter (may now/not work)?

Ignoring the power adaper which may just have a faulty LED, what does the laptop power management icon suggest - battery flat/charging/other?

Hi Alley Cat
The replacement battery is a Blesys
I’ve not tried removing the battery.
With the old dead battery the laptop would power up ok with the AC adaptor. The power light on the front of the laptop would illuminate as would the little LED where the adaptor plugs in to the port.
The laptop now powers up with the replacement battery but I only did this briefly.
I am not getting any power/charging light nor the LED from the adaptor port. There is a slight ticking/clicking sound from the adaptor transformer block.

Thanks

Sounds a bit odd, I think it’s hard for anyone to really advise on this, might be worth popping into a local PC repair shop to see if they might be able to check a few things for you electrically - you want to be sure it’s charging properly and not dangerously in my view.

Thanks Alley,
I bought a £15 replacement AC adaptor cable off the River, just plugged it in and seems to be working ok.
As long as it works long enough for me to retrieve the files I’ll be a happy chappy.
:+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.