Possibly silly questions- one box vs seperates

As an Atom owner that moved up to the Nova I’ll chime in. I also really loved my Atom. The screen however had problems and it was going back. As such, I decided to step up to the Nova. As I waited for the Nova to arrive the Atom made me wonder if the Nova was over-kill or frivolous. No it wasn’t. The difference between them was astounding. Like a hammer to the chest difference. And again, the Atom was impressive. So I’d say listen to a Nova.

With the Nova I’ve also wondered how future-proof it would be. After being in the Naim ecosystem for a couple years now I’ve developed confidence in their dedication to just that; keeping owners serviced and happy. Therefore I’m pretty confident the Nova will be relevant for a good time.

With the Nova you also have upgrade options (that aren’t as dramatic with the Atom) that won’t kill your accounts but do provide serious improvement and satisfaction. I started with the Nova and AQ cables (which caused problems) and switched to NAC A5s which improved the sound. Then I added a Powerline which was worth every penny. Then I added Isoacoustic feet under the Nova first (improvement) and then under my speakers (a huge improvement.)

Now I’m pretty darn happy. I’m running the starter Focal Chora 816 floorstanders. My next big upgrade would be speakers. Kantas maybe. But my room is small and the Choras sound marvelous, especially for the price.

I’ve heard six figure systems. One thing I say is a drum (or whatever) can only sound like a drum. The Atom does a great job of sound reproduction. As far as upgrades from the Atom my guess would be (and first step is from experience) the Nova gives obvious and dramatic punch, bass, presence to the presentation. The % improvement between the two in my opinion was dramatic. 50% better? But from the Nova to the SN3 and NDX2 wouldn’t be that dramatic. What is the saying? With audiophile equipment double your money for a 10% improvement in sound? And that is subjective. As a lifelong guitarist and music lover, the Nova really satiates me. I don’t think I’ll start adding boxes. I do think about it but, and this would be a factor for yourself I’m guessing as you mentioned you are in a wheelchair: the hassle of connections, cleaning, routing wires…I read about these hassles and…no thank you. I play something on Qobuz and smile.

4 Likes

I really do appreciate all the different view points I’ve heard so far its why I posted in the first place to get a chance to fully appreciate everything. I think I’d like to hear the differences between all these suggestions in the future. I will definitely consider the cost vs level of improvement both one box and not.

One thing I will most likely do in the future if I plan to stick with naim long term is switch my speaker cables I went to a general hifi chain and they recommended some qed cables I don’t think they knew about how naim handles cables. My atom seems to be working fine but if it overheats even once I’m going to swap immediately.

I will need to look further into what maintenance separates require as that could cause me difficulties. I have no idea what naim and other manufacturers will have round the corner I could end up changing my mind completely also glad i’m not the only one box owner that has thoughts about longevity. These responses have given me lots of potential thoughts for the future.

1 Like

Once installed, a separates setup needs no more maintenance than an all in one. The Supernait is a heavy thing, which may or may not be an issue but once installed it will just work. It’s a matter of plugging the boxes in to the mains, connecting a signal cable between them, and a system automation lead. Then you connect the speakers to the amplifier, plug in the ethernet cable, switch on and you are away.

I posted a thread a while ago comparing the Nova and NDX2/SN3. They are to me quite different in presentation and it’s really useful to try them both. I couldn’t live with the Nova with my speakers, while others love it with theirs.

1 Like

Excellent post, I strongly agree with your points.

To the OP, I’ve not heard a ND5XS2/Nait XS3 combo, but I did own a CD5XS/Nait XS system for several years and, to me it was a real sweet spot in the Naim range. What’s more, you could even add a nDAC to push SQ yet higher (and in a matching case) so the XS series is well worth considering as an upgrade route. But, whether the extra cost over your Atom would be justified depends on how much the jump in SQ is worth, to you. I’d stick with the Atom for a while and if at some future time, the itch is still there, go and audition. But best to have the funds available first!

Roger

1 Like

I have a Nova (with Shahinians) in my bedroom. My girlfriend has a Nova, which is clearly better and more able to drive better speakers and larger rooms. Neither compares well to my proper system (e.g. NDX2, 52, 250, all relevant power supplies) if I concentrate - but what you are playing matters much more than what you are playing it on, and the Atom makes great music.

Only you can decide if the extra sound quality that you notice from a particular upgrade is worth the outlay. One way to check might be to ask a dealer to let you hear a couple of possible upgrades, making clear that you have not decided definitely to change anything. If nothing really floats your boat, why change from the Atom at all?

Finally, I’d encourage you to consider older kit if you decide that more spending is justified - Naim is very robust and amplifiers like 62/140 combinations and old Supernaits are great value. However, the current range of streamers (including your Atom) are a whole generation ahead of the previous versions.

3 Likes

Does she know her serial number?

Sorry, why?

2 Likes

I definitely won’t consider actually buying something till I have the money I will definitely consider older second hand kit and the current stuff. Can’t demo at the moment but definitely will see what is available to try. I’d also want to home demo what I could once I had the money. Hearing everyone’s opinions is definitely giving me a lot to consider.

Don’t discount an SN2/NDX I recently saw a Naim serviced NDX with new screen for £1100 add a late SN2 and for under £3,000 you could have a cracking entry level (price wise) that would get a lot more out of those Focal speakers.

1 Like

If buying new then I’d try to home dem the final solution to better gauge whether its money well spent.

Obtaining a balanced system is important if you’re gonna be happy long-term. Its easy to forget that when you have a one-box solution that takes care of it for you. In other words, please take note of what members say about any products having been designed/voiced for one another.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.