Post dedicated cicuit sound problems

This is best - learn what works and does not and what you prefer.

Generally you want the Noisy class AB Power Amp in the wall socket as it draws most dynamic current and produces most noise - then the other supplies are class A, meaning almost ‘constant’ current and group those farther away as they are more sensitive to inductance (which you get with longer mains cable) than resistance. Inductance stands-off HF noise spikes so I find it actually in my system sounds a lot better having my Pre and source on their own little island stood-off by the dis-board lead from the three NAP500 Amps - then try to group close analog-connecting components and put a bit further away at the end of the board any final purely ‘digital’ supplies.
But chief is to experiment as what you prefer will be …what you prefer. :slightly_smiling_face:

Years ago when I discovered it made a difference at all I had to do that for myself - with an Active system there are more boxes and permutations of ‘wrong’ so easier with fewer boxes.

DB.

Yeti that’s a good one, hadn’t thought of that.

ps one thing that has stopped me experimenting in the past is all the switching on and off that is entailed. Is this a problem?

Rather like a bane of my life that is power cuts - where I live these come quite frequently, short cuts of only a second or two.

Things do sound different after being off for tens of minutes but if you get it all planned ahead in your hear what is going where and laid-out ready it generally means being off for a few mins only.

But if comparing just compare powered off for a minute or two in each between demos and you will get a feel what is better.

Generally easy detail, full but not over-blown bass and non-harsh HF will mean you are going in the right direction.

DB.

I meant is is a problem for the equipment - I don’t like switching anything on or off at the best of times as it seems as if this is where things go bang if they are going to.

Don’t switch back on immediately after switch off, that leads to blown fuses but a minute should be plenty.

Hi all I am in the throws of planning to put in a new 10mm radial … in my listed building (this is real tricky but possible)… now reading this I am confused - currently my system sounds very good … on the existing upstairs ‘ring’ connected to switched MK sockets. I thought reducing the impedance, having a dedicated consumer unit, a new 32a MCB and a low impedance earth…would give my equipment a better chance of performing even better. I am now somewhat nervous - should I allow for a std ring circuit to be installed - maybe along side the radial?

I would be very surprised if it sounded worse.

On the other hand if your system sounds very good then leave it alone…

1 Like

Why worry about the findings of one person? Nearly all reports on dedicated mains are positive. Mine has a 50 amp breaker. Make sure you don’t piggy back the earth of the existing CU, but take it back to the meter.

1 Like

Hi HH - yeah well I agree and that was my thought… to me it simple logic - of trying to reduce hash and providing a good low impedance supply - making audio psu’s ‘happy’. I will go ahead - I will report back when eventually done. I am currently working on all sorts of cunning fishing arrangements - to drag cables through - an air duct. This is an art form involving metal tapes dangly plug chains and neodymium magnets…I could do with tying some cotton to a mouses tail (or even a snake)- but I am afraid of the possible consequences!!!

Crumbs, that sounds complicated! My mains runs round the outside of the house under the flowerbed, which was easier than lifting floorboards and channelling walls.

1 Like

You are lucky … at least I have an air duct to work with - although is has a couple of very tricky changes of direction … I will be ok once I get my draw line in… I estimate my radial will be around 16m long… from consumer unit to socket.

Sounds like you have a fun route - at least with the current regs you can’t have a non RCD protected radial and so have a bit more flexibility on cable routing.

Any news on your radial project?
Did you find a willing and able electrician?

You just beat me to asking that!
As a newcomer to the forum, I have just arrived at this thread when I am also hoping to install a dedicated mains.
As I am in a second floor flat there is no possibility of running a separate earth back to the meter, as everyone recommends. So my first query is: is it still worthwhile going ahead with the radius?

Like Richieroo I have a tortuous cable path to negotiate, so will probably only manage a single run of 10mm, my first thought had been to have this feeding enough sockets for each Naim box. However, after reading some inputs on this thread and the ‘Wall sockets or power surge protector’ thread it seems that many forum members are using mains blocks into their dedicated power supplies. Therefore, should I simply put one double socket on the end and buy a mains block? I had always thought that exotically priced mains blocks were ‘snake oil’ but, If they sound better…etc
I would really appreciate guidance.

I have at least found an electrician, who is also a Naim owner and understands what I am trying to achieve. But unfortunately unlike buying a new Naim box you cannot have an AB demo before deciding to go ahead.

Are you sure about this? The earth cable just needs to go from the separate consumer unit back to the earth terminal near the meter. It’s just a thin cable over quite a short distance in most installations. Maybe your electrician will have some suggestions.

It is - put in the best you can.
Just having a mains circuit that is free of anything non-HiFi really helps remove noise - once you hear it you will have wanted to have done it a lot earlier.

I just use a dedicated standard Mains Ring - it worked really well. Cleaner fresher sound with less grain and mush.

DB.

Just watch the sparky like a hawk. I had a dedicated circuit installed for the hi fi when doing the fittings for a new flat.

They made the wrong one! The sockets that were supposed to be dedicated were shared with the lighting circuit and the dedicated circuit went to a useless non earthed (normal here) socked 2m away with the thinnest awg cable possible.

Cost of fixing it: $50k due to the need to tear up grain matched marble all the way to the breaker and the heated floor in the living room.

Contract was airtight too so I had no recourse.

Bloody tradies. The same the world over.

What a stupid, superior comment.

HH you spend the most time from all on the forum calling out people as stupid for various things and viture signalling. Give it a rest.

2 Likes