Power Amp for NAC-N 272

Hi all, newbie here. I’m going to buy an NAC-N 272 Pre/Streamer soon and need info on a suitable power amp please. The NAP 100/150/155 XS would suffice in my 4m square conservatory but I’m unsure whether they are all compatible. Any help appreciated thanks.

All will work perfectly well with the 272.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

Any Nap is compatible with Nac 272

1 Like

They’re all compatible with your NAC-N272. A NAP150/150X/155XS would be a fine choice, but do ensure that if it’s older than 10-12 years that you either budget for a service or find one that has had this done already.

Also, speaker cable is critical too - at least 3.5m per channel of NACA5 with solder SA8 speaker connectors at the amp end. More info in the forum FAQ…

1 Like

Thanks to all who replied, you were a great help to me.

And don’t ignore a nice example of an older Naim amp if one crops up at a good price. One of my favourite amps is the NAP110, but also look out for the NAP140 and NAP160. Again, ensure serviced within the past 10 years or budget to have it done.

4 Likes

At the very least be sure if buying an older NAP that the seller has photos of the inside. I got a very early bolt down CB NAP 160 this year from my local dealer (via ebay actually) for a bargain price and while there was no service history I could at least tell the main large caps had been replaced at some point and everything else looked clean with no obvious leakers or bulging or fudged DIY. Got very lucky and sounds amazing and won’t need a recap for some time, at least to my ears.

1 Like

There is a serviced one of those for sale now. I’m trying to think of a reason for buying it myself!

2 Likes

That takes me back to my late 1980’s system, Sondek, Ittok, K9, 42/110/SNAPS, Linn Kans. Glad to hear that the 110 is still capable of making great music.

2 Likes

Thats almost identical to what I had then and very good indeed.

1 Like

Almost my old system there - with 10X, instead of K9… :grin:

1 Like

While my NAP250DR was back at Naim, I had one of my NAP110s in its place (with 552 pre) and it was fab - no it didn’t have the scale, space, bandwidth or refinement of the modern amp, but it was very dynamic and made for such compelling listening.

2 Likes

I currently have my 140 running in place of my CB era 250. Plan was to give it a run, before taking it to Class A for a well deserved Re-cap. But thats not possible now… :thinking:

1 Like

If you are going to sell something, surely you would dust it before taking a photo!

2 Likes

Just be sure that any service work has been done either by Naim or by a Naim approved servicer with Naim-supplied parts.

2 Likes

I ran a NAP100 for several months with my 272 cracking little amp with plenty of punch.

If you can find a mint NAP110 I would take the 110 over the 100 but the 100 isn’t that far behind in performance both great power amps.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.