Power Cable Gauge(s)

This is more for my own curiosity, but are there any thoughts as to what gauge power cable should go on Naim power supplies vs amplifiers vs preamps? Has anyone tried 10ga vs 12ga on one, some or all of these, and does it matter? If one has, say, 10ga, should it go on the source PSU; the amp PSU (if these apply); the amp, itself? This is assuming all PCs are the same brand/model but have the two different gauges on offer. Non-Naim I’d typically place the higher gauge on amps and preamps and the lower on sources, but with Naim I’m simply not so sure.

Naim’s own Power-Line is 4 mm2 or 12 AWG so I guess that’s a good indication.

2 Likes

In the past, this is almost exclusively all I’ve ever used as well, regardless of the application, whether it has been PowerLines, AVOptions Tibia+12 or whatever. I suppose my inquiry is purely hypothetical. If someone has a 10ga PC or two, where would be the most effective place to connect them?

Unless the cable starts getting hot, the gauge is fine. I suspect anything 0.75mm2 and up will do, but only use 1.5mm2 and up myself to be on the safe side.

1 Like

I believe Naim’s recommendation for thicker awg and 10mm2 mains for wall sockets is mainly due to lower resistance.

Which can apparently benefit power amp recovery on transient loads.

1 Like

I’m not sure where OP @jsawyer09 is from, he uses AWG which is not a European standard, AWG is used in USA & Canada, added to that his profile picture looks like Amsterdam.

Whatever, confusion aside.
0.75mm/2 3-core flex is rated at 6 amps. Its the size used with UK 13A PowerLine Lite cables & EU Schuko plug cables.
However this amp rating only applies to 230v; … USA & Canada are 120v & to match the 230v wattage rating will require double the cable size, I believe the Naim standard power cord for USA is eq to 1.5mm/2

1 Like

Naim EU schuko is 1mm2.

1 Like

Amsterdam? Ha! Far from it. Jason is from Hastings, Minnesota, in the US Midwest. I pondered deeply about offering a real price for Jason’s SN2 that he listed, but a las, it wasn’t meant to be. @jsawyer09 now that the SN2 has sold, you can put the orders in for the 282/250 to beat the price rise

1 Like

Ohh !! I am surprised, more so as I used to go into Hastings on odd occasions when I was working in Bloomington, Minneapolis.
But that picture sure looks like one of the many canals in Amsterdam

1 Like

True. Amsterdam is my happy place. I used to go there for work and now fun, around 4 times per year. My wife works with a global team and their area is based out of Amsterdam, so we get there quite often.
@Aren, you should’ve offered a price. Would sell to any member here in a heartbeat. The orders on the 282/250 are done. The 250 is in; just waiting for the 282, which should be here tomorrow or middle of the week.

1 Like

@Mike-B, what a small world. My postal code is Hastings, but I live right by Afton Alps ski resort if you know where that is. I moved to Minneapolis (uptown area after I lived in LA about 25 years ago). The pic is from the Singel, one of my favorites in the city.
I’m a bit off-topic, though.

2 Likes

Congrats Jason, would love to hear your feedback on the new combo.

1 Like

Thank you. Will definitely update my impressions in the 282/250 v SN2 thread I started.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.