Power conditioners

I don’t think “approve” and “condone” are the right words anyway. Users neither need approval nor permission to implement these.

I’ve said before, Naim’s stance is massively misunderstood. Their position is not, “thou shalt not”. Their position is simply, “we haven’t tested one we like, so if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it.” Which is totally different.

If a mains issue has been accurately root caused (and I accept that 99% of the time it probably isn’t - I often wonder if audiophiles just take magic medicine when they feel ill instead of going to the doctor for a diagnosis and prescription) and a conditioner provides a targetted solution to that problem, then for sure, any potential degredation caused by the conditioner is probably less of an issue than the problem it fixes. But some members take on a dogmatic view (that Naim never expressed) that is nearly akin to, “I don’t care if you have clicks and pops! You must not use a conditioner. Thus has it been decreed.

You often see such statements as fact in the threads. “You know you shouldn’t use a conditioner.” Etc. If Naim came out with a conditioner tomorrow, I guarantee those would be the first people in line to get one.

15 Likes

I don’t understand. If you don’t have enough sockets you can just get a power block with 2, 4, 6 or more sockets to connect your extra boxes, or maybe a Hydra (although it may be cheaper to pay an electrician to install an extra socket). Why the need for a mains conditioner as well?

3 Likes

Sorry. Why does not having enough power sockets dictate the use of a power conditioner?

Roger

I think that depends how loud it is. Only one of the several Naim boxes that have resided in the house over the years has hummed enough to be really annoying. That was an XPS which could be heard buzzing away throughout the lounge and was the only piece of hifi that led my very tolerant wife to complain. In the end it was a factor in moving away from Naim for the main system.

I’ll add that the Atom in my office setup is completely silent in spite of being plugged into a multi socket bar along with a number of other devices.

Roger

Sometimes it is not possible to add extra outlets. Our apartment has walls with plaster, concrete and cinder block. This requires the wall to be chiseled out. A huge and messy job to say the least. Many electrical contractors refuse. People who rent rather buy are even more limited regarding options.

1 Like

Sorry, I regard power blocks and power conditioners to be the same in purpose, the latter with improved performance. Yes, one can use a basic power block to connect the additional boxes but the basic cheap ones in my limited experience (such as Wireworld Matrix 2) degrade sound quality. The Puritan PSM156 looks like a power block but is in fact a conditioner.

Installation of additional wall sockets require quite a massive work to me and may not be a feasible option for people living in apartments. I consider a good power conditioner to be preferable to adding additional sockets.

I have clarified in my response to ChrisSU.

As Chris SU has alluded to above, if you need extra mains power sockets, buy a Hydra.

Hydras are made to order by Grahams Hi-Fi in Canonbury Yard, London.

Forum rules don’t allow me to post a link, but a Google search will show up the website easily enough.

1 Like

I bought last year the Av Options SuperWiremold Deep-Cryo 9 Outlet Power Strip.
It is made especially for Naim. No conditioning, lights, switches. Just pure current.
It replaced a double the price Audioquest Niagara 1000. The Av options strip does sound noticeably better.

4 Likes

Option for sure

Good advise I will give the Puritan 156 a go it will sell that with the top of the range power supply no problem on eBay if I don’t like what I’m herring. . There is a bit off a waiting list, I think struggling to keep up with the demand.
Changing the subject slightly has anybody tried or heard the Celestion 700’s with the 252 with Nap 300 seen some that are in really good condition.
And a good price vintage for sure but probably good value for what you could get for something nee at the same kind of money. No idea how much you would have to pay in todays money but they were way out of my budget what was 1989 :thinking:

2 Likes

They might be the “same in purpose”.

However, they are two different beasts.

DG…

:grin: Worked after it had burned in then. worth noting that the test period needs to be given due consideration

1 Like

:joy:Ha

Looks like I’ve got a three week wait for the 156, The web site said available and the delivery stipulated two -three days.
I pulled the retailer up on that and they said if they had them. The bit I was looking at before I hit pay would have said in stock not available. For me available is the same as in stock :joy:
I suggested available to order with the order delivery waiting period clearly specified and not three days would stop people from being mislead :roll_eyes:
156 is £100 cheaper so I can put up with the delay.
I’ll let the thing burned for a while before I give my feedback. I’m thinking that I may well find myself using it on some recordings more than others. The third option potential :thinking:
The hum isn’t too bad and it’s only the hicap’s and they can’t be herd whilst the music is playing. If I turn my headline on I’ve got two hicaps humming but they still can’t be heard when the music is on. But I was intrigued by the idea of no noise and the potential for a significant improvement to what Im already hearing which is pretty dam good, even without a single peace of DR within my system. That might change once I’ve heard the Supercap DR :thinking:

1 Like

No noise in my system. No humming, crackling, spitty noises, dead quiet.

Yes, I’m aware of that. In my limited experience with the very basic cheap power blocks and Wireworld Matrix 2, they are decent but not the best. I do not have experience with Puritan PSM156 but presume they would be much better than these blocks.

1 Like

I have no experience with the Isotek or Puritan conditioners but try connecting just the SN3 into the wall, you may be pleased with what you hear. My previous Nait XS was plugged into a PS Audio power conditioner and it totally sucked the life out of the music.

A regenerater does a better job than conditioners in my 500 dr st up.

1 Like

Regeneration is something I have not explored, not many products in the market I believe and the cost should be high. If done right I suppose the result would be better than connecting equipment directly to wall sockets.