Power conditioning

I’ve got nothing against DC blockers. I have the Ifi one on standby in case (literally unused). But, I’d not prescribe one for transformer hum without verification of cause.

Audiophiles bang on about DC offset as if it was lurking everywhere. But [significant] over voltage is a more common cause of the hum. And would require a different solution.

That may be true, I am not an electronics expert. The ATL works for me. I didn’t try any other solution.

I have no doubt that’s true. I was just cautioning against prescribing one for someone else’s hum. They aren’t that cheap and some people rush out, plug them in… and the hum is still there.

For your guidance - I’m not experiencing any transformer hum.

I’m pretty positive that it is a noisy transformer in the 300PS, I have two Supercap DRs and an XPS DR in the same stack and they are pretty much silent. I also have a dedicated fuse in the consumer box just for the Naim which goes to a double socket.

The 300 and PS was serviced last October and I made mention of the noisy transformer but was told it was within spec. I understand pads can be applied to the transformer, which I thought would have been done automatically during a service especially as noisy transformer was mentioned. I wonder how easy it is to try and tighten it uo, are there bolts on the underside which attach it to the case?

Tim

Hi Timbo, variations of noise levels in transformers is normal, that applies between transformer brands also.
It’s internal to the transformer windings & core, nothing to do with mounting or tightness of. Also it’s not that much related to transformer size, the noisiest I’ve ever had was my old CDX2, a small 200VA unit, compared to the much larger 400VA Supernait.
It sent me into DC blocker design & construction, which I still have, but the final fix was taking the CDX2 traffo out of the system with an XPS.

1 Like

Not to mention the big elephant in the room: if you put in a built-in filter, what problem do you go after? DC, over voltage, RFI, etc?

Boxes that do full AC regen to deal with everything cost a lot and are huge. Does it really make sense to double or tripple the size of a component and massively increase the price to fix problems the customer might not have?

I think the idea of a third party device to correct mains issues is perfectly fine. As long as the user has accurately identified a problem and selected a targetted solution. Naim’s stance isn’t a absolute no. It’s more like, “Keep an open mind. Be honest with youself about the results. And don’t fix what isn’t broken.” It’s more the forum that has misinterpreted it as “Thou shalt not use a conditioner even if it means gritty pops through the loudspeakers.

3 Likes

The GTX-D NCF Rhodium is reported to sound more open and alive. Gold was said to sound warmer which is a better fit for brighter sounding systems.

Have you tried turning off all other circuits in the box to see if it reduces hum? No guarantee that it will help, but it’s possible that there’s a noisy device somewhere in your house that is contributing to the problem so it would be useful to identify any culprit.

Hi ryder - One power cable in my system has the Furutech FI-50 Rhodium plugs and has great resolution.

1 Like

Jeez Richard thanks to this post I found I had an old Russ Andrews silencer plugged into an extension block used to power my TV I removed this and can’t believe the difference.

This wasn’t even in the same plug points as my main system and the difference is a revelation.

For years I have listened with this in place I completely forgot it was there.

Music is alive again thanks Richard never even though it could affect it being in a completely different power strip.

1 Like

Hi Chris:

Yes have been around that route, have also tried it in my sons house. It just seems like a noisy transformer and the volume does vary with the mains quality, although the other power supplies do not.

Probably why I’m looking towards active ATC SCM 40 as a good solution.

Tim

If it hums at your dealers, I’d be asking for a replacement transformer. If out of warranty, at least a good deal on one.

Faulty windings are probably the third most likely cause of hum after over voltage and DC offset. And I do wonder at times whether this is really noticeable at the factory. I very much doubt it is a church quiet environment whereby hum is really that easy to notice.

1 Like

I have always found that different Naim boxes produce different levels of hum when plugged into the same socket. If your 300 is a persistent offender I think it’s something you should take up with your dealer.

Personally I preferred passive SCM40s driven by a 300DR to active 40s.

Transformer hum seems totally random to me like tolerance issues. My 300PS is totally silent but my 555PSDR hum. Both in the same socket. I’ve had SN1-2-3 all with different amount of humming. With the same socket all my Naim boxes have behaved different in terms of transformer hum.

High end audio gear costing in excess of £10k should not hum, totally unexcusable, unacceptable in my view.

2 Likes

For your guidance, I’m not experiencing any transformer noise/hum or either my Supernait 3 or nDAC.

It’s a difficult one and the proof of that is probably 200 threads on hum since the start of the forum.

Although all transformers hum a bit, it’s true that it is generally not audible at all with the case on. Toroid designs are far more prone to it than EI form factor. That said, everyone with the problem seems to post on the forum so it looks like an epidemic. But when I worked in hifi retail in the 90s, I never once came across a humming Naim box in the dem room or shop floor. Never once heard a complaint from a customer. And my 7 boxes of Naim gear are silent. But people aren’t going to start threads with “Hey, my transformers don’t hum!

I was unaware there that users perceived a serious problem until I joined the forum.

I’m actually quite fond of the EI core design for linear PSU. They do emit more EMI and need some shielding and distance, but they are not prone to all sorts of issue that toroidal cores are. Under adverse conditions, EI core are very consistent. Toroidal performs great in good conditions and terribly in bad conditions. Plenty of high end manufacturers have bucked the audiophile love of toroidal trend and gone for EI. Naim even started with EI cores in the early days IIRC.

2 Likes

Hi I bought a Niagara 3000 and never looked back. It calms down the sound with no loss of dynamics.

4 Likes

I was reading this post and decided to try plugging the SN3 directly to the wall, as it had never been plugged directly to the wall. Sounded good. I plugged it back into the Niagara 1200 and the dynamics, soundstage and holographic nature came back. So I’m probably not doing that again :rofl:

3 Likes