Power Strip

I liked the Venom distributor enough to purchase it. I am not going to claim any revelations, but I have a dead silent noise floor at least.
I returned all the power cords for now because I needed the money to buy my new streamer.
I plan to try a few of their power cords again once the streamer is fully broken in.
I bought some new speaker cables at the same time, so hard to pinpoint which is doing what, but I am happy with the sound I now hear…toe tapping! :wink:

1 Like

An unfused plug on any such cable is illegal under UK electrical regs.
It’s theoretically possible to get around this by ensuring that the breaker in the consumer unit is of a low enough spec to give the required protection, but typically they are not.

1 Like

Whats the point of having a Fuse in a power cord? The circuit is on a Breaker, the item is typically fused internally. I think the UK might be the only country in the world to do this. Seems like a hold over from old days. Maybe before Circuit Breakers??

2 Likes

A separate 16 amp breaker I believe - that’s what my sparky told me when I looked into round pin plugs. In the end I decided it was a ‘red herring’ and went with standard 13 amp plugs & sockets from a 40 amp breaker.

1 Like

I believe it’s to protect the item’s mains cable, which under certain fault conditions can very much potentially cause a house fire.

The internal fuse is to protect the equipment itself.

1 Like

Domestic wiring in the UK tends to put more sockets on each circuit than other countries, so the cable will be thicker and the breaker needs a relatively high rating, often 32 or 50 Amps, which would be too high to protect an individual power chord. The fuse in the plug therefore provides the protection required for the lead to which it is attached, normally at 3, 5 or 13 Amps.

The fuse in the unit will protect it. However the mains cable would still be live without a fuse in the plug. Also the unit may go case live, most likely in those with no earth wire. If it has an earth wire on the case, that will obviously blow the fuse in the consumer unit! But lots of modern electronics only has the 2 wires, i.e no earth. In this case it the case goes live, when you touch the case you finish the circuit!

Even with the earth fitted I’ve been blown across the kitchen by a fridge that went case live, the earth wire wasn’t connected in the plug!

And don’t eve get me started on people who cut the lawn in the rain with an electric mower🤨

I think of it like this safety requirements are written to protect people, despite people being a bit dumb sometimes!

Sent you an email Jim.

1 Like

Chord PowerHaus
I only approached those who have a Chord PowerHaus M6-S6
What is the impression of the result you received…and is it worth the purchase?

I ended up returning both the S6 and the M6 after an extended audition as I preferred my current SOtM but they are both very good and worth considering a try in my view. After some more time with them I would personally say that depending on your preference, if you like a slight conditioning effect but not as pronounced as e.g. with the AQ Niagara 1200, the M6 could be a very good option and it allows more flexibility with sources and more power hungry components to be plugged in at the same time? I thought the S6 is excellent but in a direct comparison with the M6, not as “refined”.

1 Like

So… this is the only impression here? I thought many here will do some audition or even purchase one of chord strip …poor Chord I’m disappointed

I had the M6 for trial for two weeks. I ended up keeping a second handed Entreq Powerus which I evaluated at the same time which in my system performed better. Much better actually.

1 Like

I own an M6 block with Chord Sigx cables. It’s definitely a very good block. The mains cables also very good.

I have 9 power cables to accommodate with four dedicated supplies into single sockets then the block has six sockets.

After some trial and error I found that my S1/500 sound slightly better with their own dedicated supplies. Maybe slightly more “raw” sounding ( compared to one or both into the block) but more expressive shall we say. EE8 switch goes into another wall socket and then everything else into the block. Sounds great so I’ve stopped switching and swapping!

2 Likes

I’m also using an M6 and am delighted with it, particularly since I added a Sarum T. I’d previously been using separate spurs and only succumbed to trying the M6 on the recommendation of someone I trust. I really didn’t expect to prefer it but it is simply better.

I should add that, while I haven’t had the opportunity (or inclination) to compare them side by side, I had tried a couple of “other” mains blocks against my separate spurs and much preferred the spurs at the time.

1 Like

Hi Meni, I write earlier my experience with S6 - much better than Wirewold Matrix 2, but I’ve not heard any other comparisons. As ever here, the responses are try to hear it for yourself, what is written is all relative and a lot of opinions!

Thats the problem..with the cost of Wireworld Matrix 2 must be better..but comparing others with S6 price thats a missing point for me

Sabo Audio - Isotek Corvus: not expensive ,reliable, good result.

1 Like

Good result is not enough for me…i need excellent result… :grinning: :grinning: mine Wireworld Matrix 2 is also good

In my case, the M6 didn’t better my Musicworks Reflex Ultra G3 w/ sparkly base… so it went back

1 Like

Hi Meni, have you tried other power strips? When I tried the wireworld Matrix 2 I found the Netzleiste from Music line better and my Fezz power strip is a lot better than the Music line. So if you haven’t tried anything better than the Matrix 2, you really should. It was of course in my system these differences appeared so it might not be the same for you.

2 Likes