Powerline Lite Mystery

I recently invested in a Wireworld Matrix 2 to be fed from the wall socket with a Powerline Lite. The Matrix arrived first so I used the kettle lead from my Rega Apollo as a stop gap connection to the wall socket. A substantial sound improvement resulted - better than I expected actually.
However, when the P/line Lite arrived and was connected up, there seemed to be a slight backward step. This doesn’t make sense to me.
My first thought was to disconnected the Apollo from the Matrix and this did at first seem to help, then I wondered if a burn-in is needed for the P/line Lite.
Has anyone else had similar experience?

Have you tried plugging the Powerline Lite directly into the wall, not via the Wireworld? Also, which Naim product are you using?

The Wireworld Matrix 2 is decent but a compromised product. It may sound contradictory but that’s the reality. I would agree with Clare. If possible, try more configurations such as removing the Matrix 2 from the system and connecting the Powerlite directly to the wall socket.

FWIW I used to have the Wireworld Matrix 2 for the hifi but it has been removed from the system since last year. It is now used for the TV, laptop and for charging the phone.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve taken your advice and experimented to find the best arrangement and every thing is now sounding fine. Part of the issue, I believe, is due to the Wireworld not actually being 6 star-wired sockets but instead being 3 pairs. So taking that into account seems to have helped. The arrangement now is P/line Lite from wall socket to Wireworld, then LP12, Apollo and NAP160/NAC42 into sockets 1, 3, 5. This seems logical to me and seems to work.

2 Likes

How do you calculate the number of the socket S?

Did you go back to your original “kettle lead” from wall to WW to see any difference with the new configuration?

I call the first socket from the input end socket 1 and so on. So, according to this forum if you’re aiming for something approaching “star wiring” you would need to use sockets 1, 3 and 5 - which is what seems to work best to my ears.
I know there’s some debate about whether star wiring is applicable to mains cables but l was surprised by the step change improvement.
Yes I have tried the original kettle lead again, but I’m now convinced the P/line lite from wall to Wireworld sounds best.
I should mention that at one point I had serious doubts about the Lite and was going to move it on!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.