Powerline & Phoenixnet

Hello everyone,
I have finally welcomed a phoenixnet into my system (replacing etherregen + masterclock + lps 1.2 + lps mcru). The result was satisfying (somewhat better, enough to be worth it).
Anyway the point of the post is that since I had an idle powerline, I naturally used it upfront with the phoenixnet. For the next few weeks although rejoicing at the greater soundstage and clarity brought by the phoenixnet, I couldn’t help but feeling that the sound was a little lacking « edge ».
So I reached out to the innuos stock powercable that came with the phoenixnet, and … it wasn’t much different, certainly not worse. Finally I tried the mcru orange 75 cable from the mcru lps that was powering the etherregen)… and it was much much better, the sound feeling more « natural ».
So this leads me to wonder…is this just a question of « fit » with the phoenixnet, or… is there a problem with the powerlines sonic signature in general?
Any thoughts welcome!

Interesting, when I tried the PN I used a PL as well. It was already there so easier that way. Good to know the difference was minimal at best. I did not get on with the PN over my setup and always wondered it the PL was not a good fit. I have a PL on my Melco and on my Rega Aura as well. I use a Sean Jacobs black cable on my SJ P/S and have been told they work well with Naim boxes but have yet to try. I believe @Michaelb was the advocate.

1 Like

I have never tried the PL on a Phoenixnet but can conclude it doesn’t always work better than other power cables. I found the PL to be a bit smoother but less resolving on my RIAA than the cable I compared with at the time. I preferred the other cable. However comparing the same cables on a Hicap the PL was more to my liking (at least at that instance).

2 Likes

Not directly related but tried a Powerline on my Rega Aria and didn’t like it. Went back to the Rega stock cable. Love them on my modest Naim kit though.

1 Like

Some reported a noticeable improvement going from powerline to Chord signature mains X on the PhoenixNet.
I use personally an Entreq entry level power cord. ( however already 1k euros).

2 Likes

Have you come to a conclusion on “Flow” power cables? I use Powerline on my Farad Super 3 but haven’t compared it with other power cables. I guess synergy as always is the leading star :star:

1 Like

Not a conclusion as such but I found the cable vary interesting. It’s much clearer sounding than the PL and makes the presentation “lighter”. It worked well on the GoldNote PH10. It was clearly better than the supplied cable but I didn’t miss it when I took it out so I didn’t buy it. I might get it later though. It really made a difference.

2 Likes

Hi, yes for now I am using a wireworld which I didn’t like before and now seems to be doing the best job with the Phoenixnet. As you point out, fit is the key.

So update: the wireworld stratus 7 power cord is to me the perfect fit for the phoenixnet. It brings absolute transparency and gets everything back in balance.
Rather incredible in fact. To the point I wonder if when changing cables in the back I didn’t displace or move anything inadvertently that would explain the change!
Also I have to add that for all other uses the wireworld cable was inferior to naim powerlines so this synergy with the phoenixnet was really surprising to me.
Anyway, back to happiness now. Before I do start cd ripping.

4 Likes

Full circle for me now with the powerline back on the phoenixnet. Reading through some posts I was made aware that the powerline also requires “burn in” (one week!) so I gave it a last chance…and to my surprise things fell into place so now it is staying…who would have thought that also the power cable require “burn in” …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.