Pre-amp for NDX

Quite, and it does seem unusual to keep the 272 with all that redundancy when trading the 272 for a separate analogue preamp might be cost neutral. That’s a decision you would want to make before choosing a PSU, as you might want a Hicap, not an XPS.

Would like to consider trading the 272 for a Supernait2. But I would like to retain my valve power amp. This only has rca inputs. Is it possible to connect the Supernait to my power amp? Thanks for any help.

Why a SuperNait 2? You would be buying a power amplifier that you then didn’t use.

I think you could feed your valve power amp from the sub out of the SuperNait 2, but a far better bet would be to forget the SN2 and go for a 282 preamp. You could feed your valve power amp from that and it would all likely sound better…

Best

David

Yes, I’m struggling to understand why you would want to get a Supernait to use as a preamp. Of course, a Naim preamp would require a separate power supply, so perhaps you are trying to avoid adding more boxes?

I have considered a SN2 as a pre myself, my dealer didn’t say don’t. I have yet to demo any pres though

Thanks for useful comments. I really think I need a lot of help here. Present equipment is:
NDX + XP5/XS
NAC 272
Bel Canto C7R integrated
David Berning ZH230 valve power amp
Focal Diablo Speakers

At present using: NDX analogue into C7R then into David Berning.
Sounds good but I think could be better.
Money is tight so would need to part/ex something to make changes.
Would have liked to keep the valve power but would be willing to see this go if necessary.
What are my options to get the best sound that I can and keep the box count say below 4?
i.e. 1. Part ex NDX and 272 for a NDX2. Could use the C7R until funds permit a change
2. Keep NDX and part ex 272 and c7r for supernait2
3. Keep 272. Part ex everything for 250 DR
4. Don’t think I could afford the 282 - what about the 202?
5. Any other suggestions!!?
Really appreciate the help I get from this forum.

Apart from speakers, you have two complete systems there, so you are certainly right to consider downsizing. One option would be to keep the 272 and XP5, and sell everything else to fund a 250, or whatever other power amp you might choose if the ZH230 isn’t what you want.
Personally, I prefer the separate systems based on NDX to the 272, and would consider NDX/202/200 or, if funds permit, NDX/282/200 or 250. Just remember that most people find 202/250 to be a poor match.

You were given various suggestions at the start of the thread, chose to ignore them, and still end up in a muddle. Just decide - do you want a Naim system (selling the Bel Canto and the valve amp) or do you want to build a system around the BC and valve amp. Unless you decide this you are stuck with almost infinite possibilities.

1 Like

Whoops! Sorry, Dad!!

2 Likes

Option 2 will outperform the 272, sound great and vastly simplify things.

I think you need to decide what sound you are chasing. If you like what naim sources and amps can do I would simplify by running

NDX
NAC282/202
NAP250

Personally I think that would be less of a hotch potch of design approaches and you would get more synergy and better sound that way.

Jonathan

This would also need a Hicap for the 282 - too many boxes. A 282/200 would keep the box count down (if the NAPSC is considered small enough not to count as an extra box).

272/555DR/250DR three box system, job done.

If you are in East Yorkshire you are welcome to come and have listen.

Also if Naim ever bring out the 272 replacement with the latest streaming platform you still have three boxes.

1 Like

Thank you so much. What a lovely message. I’m in Essex so a bit far but still appreciate the offer.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.