Pre and Power Amp Interconnects

Hello all,

I run a system composing of 282/SuperCapDr/250Dr/NDX-2/XPSDr with Focal Kanta 2 speakers. Very soon I will replace the 250Dr with a 300Dr. The latter comes with two Din-XLR cables to connect the 300dr to the SuperCapDr.

How good are the above mentioned standard cables when compared to their SuperLumina equivalents. I see many people here using SuperLumina to connect Pre through PSU to Power. The SuperLumina interconnects are expensive so I wonder if they really make the difference in my set, or do they only pay-off in sets higher up the ladder?

Iver

Higher quality interconnects will bring with them an improvement in sound quality to your system. However, the pair of DIN-XLR cables to which you refer do not come cheaply and you may well find greater benefit to use the same budget to finance via trade in, an upgrade of your pre-amp, (perhaps pre-owned), the component which many believe to be the single most important contributor to a naim system. Certainly worth having a chat with your dealer and seeing what they can offer in terms of loan or demonstration to help inform your decision making.

Peter

1 Like

I think many SL users indicate going “full loom” is where SL really comes into it’s own.

We have similar systems up to a point. I’d be inclined to spend a modest GBP150 on a Witchhat Hatpin cable for the SCdr-250dr link and either save the rest for that future box or spent it on music.

The DIN to XLR mono leads certainly brought an improvement over the Witch hat equivalents which were, in turn, an improvement over the stock cables (though not by as much as the SL). If you can be patient and source a decent pre-loved pair then it’s worth doing particularly as part of a full loom.
If you upgrade the 282 instead you’ll probably find yourself asking the same question with a 252 or 552 in place so biting the bullet before you do that may make sense. Plus you then also have what you need if you ever want to look at a 500 in place of the 300.

I did not get on with SL interconnects, sounded closed in and compressed by comparison to True signal audio cables. The SL din to xlr i preferred over the din to din SL between streamer and preamp, but not worth the money imo. I would not assume that you will like SL , i am certainly glad i did not take a punt on buying online ex demo or second hand. To date i am biding my time before changing from std cables.

I notice witch hat cables have a new range of interconnects in the £450 to £650 price range, called Morgana. They can be ordered but will not ship until August, so nobody really knows how good they will be. I am going to wait and try, they have a money back guarantee.

Hi all, thank you so much for your advice. It really helps understanding. For the moment I just try whether a dealer allows me to try them. Current plan is indeed look for a 252 (new or not too old 2nd hand one).

I already maxed out most of my set with a rack, high quality Ethernet cables, a good router, a PSU on the NUC and a HighLine interconnect, so wondered whether the last step (loudspeakercables and the connectors between pre/power) would make sense.

Iver

I use SL din to XLR interconnects and speaker cable and am very pleased with them on my 272 and 300. They seem to have an additive effect so in your case I’d consider the source to pre interconnect as well. They work beautifully with the DR power supplies, giving a lovely natural sound with silent backgrounds, which I find rather beguiling.

Hi All,

I bought a 300Dr today from another Naim-fan to replace my NAP250Dr. First impression is very positive: I will send some experiences here on the forum once I have listened to it a bit more.

The 300Dr came with the standard xlr-din interlinks (to connect the poweramp to my SuperCapdr), but the seller provided &lso & set of With Hat xls-din interconnects. Does somebody have experience with these Witch Hat interconnects? Are they good? I haven’t tested them yet. I have never heart of Witch Hat so wonder if anybody ueses them.

Iver

1 Like

I tried one when I had a 250 and found it a little bit better than the standard wire. As you may expect the SL is much better than the Witch Hat. Give them a go and see what you think. Witch Hat have a website where you can find out more. The 300DR is a wonderful amplifier and I’m sure you’ll love using it.

1 Like

Hi @hungryhalibut: thanks for your response. I found their website. Will try the Witch Hats and let you all know my findings.

In the meantime searching for a 252 (my final, and last step) but they are very difficult to find so will probaby go with a new one.

Iver

Try and get an ex demo deal from the dealer

I’d second HH. They are better than the stock Naim lead. They are by no means expensive fancy leads but they gave a decent improvement in transparency in the top half the spectrum for very little money.

1 Like

I have a couple of WH DIN-XLRs running from SNAXO to 250s (all “olive”). They are a huge improvement over the stock cables.

1 Like

Hi All,

I did call to Naim Support (very pleasant & knowledgable people by the way) and also touched the above discussion. My question was specifically where I should start if I’d consider SuperLumina: with the loudspeaker-cables or the interconnects? The advice was crystal clear: start with the source of the signal, so first improve the interconnects than the loudspeaker-cables.

The ideal situation is of course that a dealer can let me the cables try, but I doubt if there are many shops here that have SL Interconnects at stock. I will give it a try. If not possible, I probably purchase a pair of WH Interconnects. They seem to be fairly priced: I still feel that SL cables are very, very expensive.

Iver

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.