Pre-Owned or Demo Naim Gear

A good reliable dealer is extremely helpful and it sounds like not everyone’s lucky enough.

Re your place, we walked for hours that day I’m sure I probably went past your place.

2 Likes

Yes. Hawthorne is great but they suck you in with that 80% trade in if you upgrade within a year! Went from RP6 to Xerxes to LP12… they expect my yearly visits now

1 Like

Yes, but it is a nice option when you have the upgrade itch!

1 Like

Hi @Bbm7 – it sounds like you’re in the US. If so, a good move is to buy secondhand kit from the UK (check Pink Fish Media and/or Hifi Shark), have it serviced and get the voltage changed at Class A (a Naim-authorized service center), then have the gear sent to you in the US.

What are you looking for, and what’s your budget?

All best,
Joe

1 Like

Thanks to all for the good info. I am really happy I posed this question. I don’t think I’ll be moving on anything soon…being armed with this info will allow me to expand my options.

Great advice from sweet.bippy above. I have bought most of my Naim gear from pinkfishmedia (cheaper than dealers/eBay) and Darran@ClassA in Sheffield will do not excellent job. Highly recommended.

Between London and Luton, St Albans in fact. My outlet of choice.

I’ve bought and sold a lot of Naim gear over the years through Canuck Audio Mart and Audiogon without issue. I travel for work a lot so also keep in touch with several Naim dealers who will send me an email if they have some new kit they want to move or a nice item they have taken in on trade at a good price and in good condition. There is usually a lot more available than listed on the sites. If your looking for a specific piece, often by placing a “Wanted” listing on Canuck you will get an email or two.

If you buy used, just be prepared to very possibly have the unit serviced by Focal-Naim or AVOptions depending on which side of the border you are on and factor that cost into your purchase decision.

2 Likes

Agreed, I’ve bought/sold Olive kit from CAM users with never an issue, always a pleasure to deal with. I find there’s more Naim users north of the border, hence a better selection of s/h kit than here in the States.

1 Like

I buy used almost exclusively… it’s the only way I could have worked up to a 552. And if you ever need to sell you’ll recover likely 80% of your purchase price. A little less for items with a short shelf life (DAC’s, streamers etc).

Yes, I almost only buy used gear as well. I’ve never been ripped off, and if it happens, I’ll have it fixed and then either keep it or sell it on. Sometimes what I pay for stuff would barely cover the taxes on new gear, so who cares if the odd deal isn’t perfect.
Cheers.

1 Like

Moorgate Audio are advertising these

Naim Amplifier Special Offers We have a few special offers from Naim Audio Naim Nait XS2 brand new stock £1299 Naim Nait 5si slight cosmetic seconds £899 Contact us for more details!

1 Like

Suspect you’re about to get the big red line struck through your last message.

Forum Rules - No For Sale or Wanted ads! (includes free gifts and loans of equipment) - this includes transparent or oblique references to equipment for sale or equipment being sought - sometimes this will be a judgement call. ALL links to, or mentions of, equipment For Sale will be moderated.

• Hifi shark for general listings, but due diligence required
  • Pink Fish Media for sale items from members -likely to be more reliable
  • eBay, obviously
  • Nintronics often have a lot of stuff, as do Tom Tom Audio, both fine to deal with (Tom Tom better, IMHO)

Easy enough to get UK kit converted and shipped, though as it’s often heavy costs may not be cheap, unless it’s by sea.

But probably the best bet would be to contact Naim dealers in the US and let them know what you’re after, as they will have a gentle stream of ex-demo or preowned kit coming in as people trade up, and can keep a look out for you even if they have nothing current…

1 Like

Thanks for the additional replies. Purchasing from the UK might be cost prohibitive - between the shipping charges and voltage conversion. Might actually end up paying more, but the inventory is higher. The Canadian suggestion is interesting because the shipping would be less (I think?) and there is no need for voltage conversion.

+1 for TomTom audio.

Most of my purchases in past 10 years have been main dealer ex demo items including

Naim UnitiQute2, NAP100 & UnitiServe

And following still in main system

Naim UnitiStar
Neat Iota Xplorers
Rega P8

After circa 5 years ownership I made a profit selling both the NAP100 and UnitiServe on eBay.

Same here all ex dem would love to buy new but cannot afford apart from XPS2 brand new It’s taken me 15 years to achieve CDS3 NAP250dr NAC 252 supercap dr 2 fraims 3 powerlines. Witch hat cable proac response d2r :grin::grin: I know 300dr would better perhaps later :thinking::grin:

1 Like

Nice system. And the move to a 300 isn’t always required from what I’ve read. Check out @NigelB 's setup. He has a great sounding system with a 250dr driving it. That’s the route I’ll take while maxing out the source etc.

1 Like

haha! My yearly renewal is coming up from them. Where’s the new 272?