Preamp balance control

Is that some clever witticism that has passed me by? Surely the logo will light up whether or not the control amp has a balance control?

The logo is volume and balance knobs!

Or perhaps volume and source selection knobsā€¦

Now Iā€™m completely lost. That doesnā€™t make any sense at all.

By ā€œworkā€ I mean that the logo refers to all the proper amps with two round control devices on the front which are usually volume and balance

A preamp without volume control works just fine if you collect performances of John Cageā€™s piano work 4ā€™33" .

This could be problematicā€¦ā€¦

If you need louder sit nearer. To reduce the volume sit further away.

This allows you to set the pot position (9:27) for the best SQ.
:+1:

1 Like

The other rarely used function is the mono button imo. I have used it to set up speakers to get a strong central image but thatā€™s about it. Does anyone find them useful in other ways?

1 Like

Playing old mono records with a stereo cartridge. You get much reduced surface noise.

1 Like

A very useful button indeed for vinyl replay. Itā€™s also useful for setting up recorders.

1 Like

The S1 Statement pre-amp does have balance control.

Yes, after that post of mine someone clarified that it is controlled by the remote, just not having a physical actuator operated by hand.

Yes, I also use the mono switch for playing mono records to reduce noise.

Sometimes I also use it for early stereo recordings that have very strange mixes, like sound staging everything far left and far right, with nothing in the middle.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.