Prestige Records

As a sibling to the Blue Note Records thread please post your favorite Prestige Recordings.

Bob
Did you see my post at the end of your BN thread?

Perhaps Number 1 Headman could move it over as a good start.
Much prefer this label because I get Moodsville and Swingsville and all my old timers.

1 Like

Listening to Prestige

1 Like

Here’s one for starters. The über-talented Eric Dolphy live at the Five Spot.

3 Likes

Yes I did it was your post that gave me the idea for a separate thread.

Prestige is as important as Blue Note and in my opinion for a time was producing the better music especially whilst Miles and John Coltrane where there.

1 Like

Prestige started out as New Jazz and the first release I could find on the 100 series

was a 10" NJLP 101
Lee Konitz Quintet & Lennie Tristano Quintet 1(950)

Lee Konitz, alto sax; Lennie Tristano, piano; Billy Bauer, guitar; Arnold Fishkin, bass; Shelly Manne, drums

Recorder NYC, January 11, 1949

RIP Lee who died last year I believe.

Please post any tracks I’d love to hear them and especially the many 1,000’s I’ve never heard.

I remember having this as a 10 incher.
Apparently MD wouldn’t allow Thelonious to play behind him.As though Monk would care.
Nice cast of musicians.

3 Likes

Nick you’ve gone straight in with the big guns what an exceptional record!

And what an opening tune.

1 Like

Is this Miles Davis and John Coltrane’s first recording date together?

Miles - The New Miles Davis Quintet - PRLP 7014, (1956)

Number 14 in the 7000 series it features

Paul Chambers on Bass, Philly Jo Jones on Drums, Red Garland on Piano, John Coltrane on Tenor and of course Miles on Trumpet.

Recorded on Nov 16th 1955.

Miles_Davis_New_Miles_Davis_Quintet

Couple of rare Coltrane’s for you.
Paul Quinichette,Little Pres, is a great favourite of mine.
Tad Dameron an early bopper who wrote some very fine tunes.

1 Like

Thanks Nick for the excellent contributions I’ve one or two of those tracks on different records and have these two on my to get list so have not heard most of what is on them.

1 Like

Two compilations:

417T0yIrxjL.AC

1 Like

Sonny Rollins- Saxophone Colossus. A monster 1956/57 Prestige release currently in stock again on 180gm QRP vinyl at acousticsounds.
Get one if you spin vinyl and do not have it.

4 Likes

Sonny Rollin’s - Tenor Madness (with the then Miles Davis band) also seems to be in stock at AS in that same Prestige Mono series.

1 Like

No…no more st thomas! :joy:

hehe- mmh, better than ‘There is no Bus like Show Bus’ on his great ‘Worktime’ perhaps?

Love it! I have been hearing St Thomas references for over a week now, don’t know what’s going on with that :sunglasses:

1 Like

This is an example of why the Prestige label is so important to me.
They were everywhere touching parts BluNote didn’t want to be involved in.
This one is in clear but ping pong stereo. You could drive a bus up the middle of the speakers.
Paul’s clicky saxophone pads.
Fiery Buck. Warmer Shad.
They made Jack,Basie’s old anchor baritone saxophone play his original part.He had moved on to alto. Hence the squeaks.
And the rhythm team. You can keep your Philly Joe I will stay with Papa Joe.

2 Likes

I know what @RexManning means about St Thomas it’s one of those records that really does get around I do though really enjoy Blue 7.

1 Like