Presto Hi Res streamer

I think the guaranteed performance of toslink is limited to 96/24 but with a short optical feed, 192/24 works fine. Evidence of that is in Presto’s recent update email that I quoted a few posts back. There they explain that people with DACs that won’t work with 192/24 should use the analogue output as the Presto streamer always outputs the highest resolution available to it. Obviously that wouldn’t be a problem if the toslink was limited to 96/24! And I can confirm that I have seen 192/24 on the now playing screen in my Nova when it’s playing a Presto feed.

1 Like

Has anybody compared it to Presto on Bluos ?

I would love for it to be a success and be offered by Naim

David, I also use Presto Music streaming app only for Classical and listen to it on my Naim via Chromecast without issues.
Regards
AN

Hi! Yes you can do that of course, but the Presto streamer can give you a proper high res 192/24 feed, but you have to solve the problem of the Presto streamer being sufficiently well connected to the internet and unfortunately they use a very low quality and unreliable WiFi technology.

Currently I have had success with taking the WiFi from my router which is the other side of the house. This seems to work far better currently than a dedicated WiFi access point close to the streamer, not sure why!

When it’s working the Presto Streamer is excellent, but I’m still getting occasional dropouts and buffering. Mostly on 192kHz but occasionally 96kHz. Things improved significantly when I physically raised the streamer by about a metre so that it’s directly in line with the BT WiFi disc. Like David, I’ve found responses from Presto a bit patchy. I’ll stick with it for the moment but keep thinking of how fully featured the Qobuz app is.