Prince Philip

See F1 qualifying and practice times in Italy have been changed so that qualy doesn’t clash with the funeral. I presume down to the large numbers of Brits among the F1 teams.

Cynically I’d say to keep the viewing audience.

Is the rotw that bothered?

Nah. I was talking to a cross section of European nationals on Sunday and no one thought it news. From Portugal, Spain, France, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Czech, Russian, Ukrainian, Netherlands, Poland plus a few Americans and South Americans. They’d heard the news but none of them are doing anything special about it. Obviously, national leaders will pass on condolences but most ordinary punters don’t care.
That goes for here in Scotland. No one I know was moping around because the guy was 99 which is a great innings in anyone’s book.

I thnk Diana’s death was bigger amongst the general public because she was young and the shock value was enormous. She also connected more with younger generations in a way that would be difficult for the very elderly.

2 Likes

That’s a rather natty tie he’s sporting there. Yin and Yang and the signs of the zodiac (from the look of it).
Who’d a thunk he was an old hippy at heart?
I like him a bit more having seen that!

3 Likes

I never met him or saw him but we have a common bond…we both commanded a ship whilst still in our 20’s.

As careers and lives develop and grow it is often those early years that reign strong as we build skills and attributes for life. For Prince Phillip and I that means a love of the sea that will never leave us.

10 Likes

The cover of the new edition of Private Eye is certainly going to provoke consternation and much correspondence.

You are only a google away from finding what I think would be unpublishable here. It’s certainly well up there with the “Here, have mine, it’s got a photo of the car” Diana issue.

Personally I think it’s funny, and - more to the point - so, I suspect, would Prince Philip have done.

2 Likes

I suspect the other person on that cover might not agree with you!

2 Likes

I ust be seeing an earlier edition.

The only one I can see is HRH and Cameron.

1 Like

Check out The Guardian’s If cartoon for today.

Yeah they must have locked Steve Bell’s pencils in a safe for the last week until the requisite waiting time had passed.

Charles

RIP Prince Philip.

8 Likes

I think we all sense it’s the beginning of the end of an era.

Whatever anyone’s opinion on the monarchy, the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, have been stability at the heart of it since long before I was born.

Many of the anecdotal stories that have come out since his death, I think show his true nature, someone who probably wanted little fuss, but fulfilled expected duties and supported the Queen without question.

I thought the service was very sobering, and showed the unintended cruelty of current pandemic measures.

Seeing the elderly Queen sitting alone and leaving alone without a close family member was both sad but necessary to show that special rules in terms of distancing/mask wearing apply to all. She would have considered this her duty to show I suspect. It was a paradoxically simple affair, yet within that simplicity considerably more complex than other funerals. In some ways I think the scaled down service may have been more personal for the family, and I’m sure the Duke would have approved.

9 Likes

Agree with that.

Also shows the military still know what they’re doing with this type of thing.

6 Likes

All the better for not having politicos and the worlds heads of states grandstanding. Moving, respectful and for the family and British public. Job well done.

9 Likes

Yes, our military are exemplary. They display orgasniational prowess with elegance and grace, perhaps in a different context here, whereas it’s frightening to see military displays from some countries/regimes which are a clear display of force/strength.

7 Likes

Excellent music throughout: bands, soloists, pipers, buglers, and trumpeters.

I wish I still had my bosun’s whistle, and I had hoped for a bit of Purcell. Especially the music from Queen Mary’s funeral.

9 Likes

Wonderful man he had a hard childhood. The way he pulled through. His mother also a wonderful
Woman she hid this family in the german occupation at a great risk.

4 Likes