Printer drivers

Unless you’ve already ordered one I think this may still be fixable on High Sierra.

Newer macOS versions I think have more elaborate options, but in System Preferences>Security and Privacy you probably have this designed to stop you installing untrusted software:

You should be able to override this however.

Can you confirm what you downloaded, tried to install and from where?

1 Like

At least we generally don’t have to pay for them these days!

This was my first inkjet from 1994, not my first printer which was a dot matrix Panasonic printer I have in the attic:

https://www.orgprint.com/en/printers/CANON/BJC/600-id1581

I used it with Acorn computers and had to purchase a custom printer driver (maybe from Computer Concepts to use with their Artworks vector package) for around £60!!!

In 1994 I don’t think Acorn had a driver. Amazing nostalgia wise!

http://www.cconcepts.co.uk/products/turbo.htm

1 Like

Well if you are interested in a photo quality Ecotank model, the EPSON ET-7700 series meets that… it even has a separate paper tray for photo paper… we print all our 6x4’s on it. They are as good as regular digital prints from the high street in my opinion… very good indeed… and at the same time it’s the home office work horse, scanner and photo copier… all workable from my iMac over wifi. Probably the best printer we have ever owned. Every so often you come across a product that ticks all the boxes and exceeds expectations… this is one of them… can you tell I rather like it? :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks. Neglected to mention most of my older printers have been A3+ printers, I’ve been eyeing up its stablemate the ET-7750 for a while!

1 Like

Whilst were on about old stuff, Ive got a 1997 Epsom perfection scanner on my MacPro on HS which works a treat, one of the companies I used to work at had a contest for the fastest to strip and re-build of a HP LaserJet5 which were pretty sound printers. I know there are better ones, but the simplicity and interchangeability of parts was great.
</de-rail
Seems like Apple have had problems with printing under BS, Once you work out how to config your security settings to install 3rd party software you could always try the Guten print open source driver http://gimp-print.sourceforge(dot)net/MacOSX.php

Well theres more than one way to skin a cat
I have installed a 500G SSD, bootcamped and installed Windows 7.
All good.

2 Likes

:scream_cat:

3 Likes

An unfortunate choice of quotation. :joy::+1:

:+1:“Last known good”

1 Like

It’ll do what I want and I agree after 7, Windoze just got crazy. 8 never worked properly and 10 is all bloatware.

1 Like

Windows 10 in its latest builds of ‘10’ is a secure and effective OS… unlike some of its earlier incarnations…
Being both MS and Apple user… I do think Apple has fallen behind… I wonder if it’s influenced by the lack of an effective compute cloud service… where much innovation is now being focussed… the world has moved on… and it feels Apple hasn’t fully embraced it… but they do make nice looking computers.

I doubt Apple really care, too many of their target market will buy any old tosh they put out because the Apple logo is seen as a status symbol. My partner’s two grown-up children (aged 26 and 28) won’t consider anything other than a Macbook Pro even though the most taxing (only?) thing they run on it is a browser! Same with phones/tablets, nothing else is even considered.

1 Like

Yes, MS focus is in the cloud as thats where the revenue streams are. I much prefer functionality over features that are usually bloaty tat and I agree that Apples later OS releases don’t offer much to me other than not being able to use our old Epsom scanner anymore as its 32bit.

1 Like

Just so long as the money rolls in for the latest iThingy!

I buy S/H Macs now, I din’t need the latest or greatest so Im very happy with my 2011 MBPro & 2010 MacPro cheese grater style which I converted to a real power house of a machine. I also run Parrot infosec Linux on it and two versions of Windows on it under VM Ware fusion which work very well.

Well all I can say is more fool them… style over substance perhaps.

1 Like

Absolutely!

Apple drive me barmy at times, but I do think their ecosystem, especially on iPhones and IPads is showing fruition in terms of protecting people from installing malware. There will always be exploits and bad actors with malicious intent.

Converging macOS with iOS/iPadOS/tvOS with the ARM based chips will not be as bad as many think, and power users will still generally be able to do what they want.

Apple also seem to be pushing privacy more and more which is good, perhaps MS are ahead of them I don’t know.

Many annoyances just seem like industry fads - my work computer went virtually overnight from XP to Windows 10, and the tiny fonts for many things in Windows 10 without anti-aliasing seem like a step backwards - maybe our corporation has locked down display tweaks. The Cloud based Outlook is poor from a readability perspective compared to older app based suites and much harder to use for me. The number of times I think I’ve sent an email response only to later find it’s been saved as a draft is astonishing. Ultimately user error, but things have changed for the sake of it.

Stability also seems dire, but perhaps that is something to do with our corporate build.

My 2008 cheese grater is feeling unloved but the 2012 Mini suffices for most things I do now and has for a long time.

Oh dear, from your description is does sound like it… I can definitely confirm that Windows 10 / Intune can be extremely stable, and safe… even in a very large corporate estate, where the user population is greater than the size of a medium town. Yes Teams via M365 can have a few quirks, but on the whole is pretty impressive, and I do appreciate how it can federate across corporations, companies and government departments… and in these Lockdown times has transformed the professional working environments for many.

And when it comes to Windows Intune I do prefer the Android implementation over iOS .

1 Like

You might be able to add an NVMe drive on a PCie card as the disc bus is probably sata2 so mounting your disc drive on the PCi-e bus to bypass sata I/O provides an enourmous performance boost.
I used an Aqua Kyro2 card with a Samsung EVO970 NVMe drive (the 970plus may not work unless theyve updated the firmware) There is also a massive thread on MacRumours as well as videos on the tube.

1 Like