ProAcD40R Upgrade to K6 or K8

Thank you all for your contributions. In my former flat in Paris (ancient oak floor) and in today’s house in Burgundy (slab construction), the stone tiles did the job as regards bass control. I do have too much sibilance in the trebles which I intended to correct with some adequate material on one, two or three walls.
Reading you, I will wait to have changed the Proacs and may consider the fitting of Herbies or Stillpoints. Even if I am satisfied with bass control and general precision, any major improvement is welcomed.
I am very surprised that Skip you still live with Nac A5 because I had to abandon for Chord Signature Reference as I moved to more detailed sources. I currently have NDS + PS555DR which could not bear NAC A5. Super Lumina would bring more, however we have made a note that prices are not far from over the top. Probably, with vynil you can balance a whole system in a different way.
Best

@ChrisBell
@timmo1341

I just took delivery of a demo Chord Music interconnect between the CD555 and the NAC552. Has anybody else tried a Chord Music with the K6?

I hear a lot more of everything vs. the SuperLumina. Maybe too much of everything based on what I am used to. If you have a point of view on the Music with this or a similar setup, please reply.

Wow, nice! Afraid I can’t comment Skip. My only ‘interconnect’ is a SuperLumina DIN to XLR between NAC272 and 250DR, which is certainly a distinct improvement over the standard lead. Interesting implication that perhaps it’s possible to hear ‘too much’. Perhaps it may be a question of an extended demo, then seeing how much you miss when taking the Music out?

Timmo:

Thanks for the note. Sounds a little bright, but it has more of everything, so the bass is more, the mids are more, and the highs, even the noxious highs, are more. More of everything. Music sounds great at low volume. At high volume, I am not so sure. I was used to SL on the D40R at higher volumes. Higher volumes are not needed on Music. The difference is amazing vs. the SuperLumina. I am thinking and hopeful that it will settle down.

I tried the SL between the 552PS and the 500 and got a hum that I could not overcome. So I went with the Music DIN-XLR and would like for the Music i/c to work if I can get happy with the sound. So far the sound is way different. For the record, the Music is not a subtle upgrade like so many upgrades are. You feel it immediately: the bass, the treble, the detail. Fingers crossed.

Hi Skip,

Give the Music Cable a few hundred hours of run-in time. I preferred it to the Super Lumina interconnect which I found had too much leading edge/tension. The Chord Music was much more relaxed sounding without giving up on resolution. The DIN-XLR is also highly recommended as is their ethernet cable.

I do use SL speaker cable and I think it is fantastic… and a good value compared to Chord Music speaker cable.

1 Like

Thanks, Guys. I appreciate the replies.

This would lead me to assume it is altering (or voicing to be polite) the signal (sound). Honestly if a cable makes that much difference something is broken somewhere.

.sjb

or something is broken and unable to hear such differences…

Thanks for the feedback.

Resisting Audiophilia Nervosa here.

I don’t think anything is broken. All is under warranty.

My dealer is 900 miles away. Welcome to Red State America.

Break in is my friend I hope.

Recent development:

I had had the factory jumper rod and replaced it by the Nordost Reference jumpers using the Nordost diagonal setup. This worked great on the D40R. Visualize NACA5 instead of the Nordost mesh below.

The K6 has another driver and the crossover is more complicated. My dealer recommended the Nordost straight setup.

He was right. Now all is sorted. Kickass bass. Seamless to 12:00 on the NAC552.

@Sloop_John_B @frenchrooster “Something is broken” got me thinking. Many thanks, Naim Forum.

It is amazing to me how much difference these little set up tweaks make.

2 Likes

Just added the Valhalla2 jumpers ( on trial ) which look much like the mesh cables above to jump from the bass terminal NACA5 to the treble via Valhalla2. Very nice upgrade. Much more high end detail. Imagine the rhythm of Naim with more high end information. I know this is heresy in the “NACA5 F joint extension” world but don’t knock it until you try it. These jumpers have allowed me to keep the base NACA5 (which require a dirty crawl under the house to redo) and tune the sound on a cost effective basis.

I had Chord jumpers (Signature) with standard Epic cable before I upgraded to Epic Reference (F config.). Worked very well, distinct upgrade to the rods, but what I have now is definitely better. Have you considered having the F extensions soldered to your NACA5 leads ‘in-situ’? You may save a whole bunch of money, given the cost of the Valhallas (they seem to be quoted at £2,500 in the U.K. - is that right?).

I have heard them but not on this speaker. I am pretty happy with the Valhalla 2’s at the moment and these demos cost me about half that amount.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.