Problem streaming FiP via Internet Radio

Hi,
I’ve just developed an issue with the FiP internet stations. The stations seem to be stuck - I get a 2-3 second section of music before it cuts out. Happens on the regular station, electro and jazz. It’s always the same piece of music - probably what was last playing.
I’ve tried turning my Uniti Atom off and on, turned my phone off and on.
Other internet stations such as 6music work fine, and FiP streams fine via Chromecast.
I get the cold sweats when expensive tech throws a wobbly.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for a solution?
Many thanks,
Aidan

1 Like

Paging radio guru @Stevesky

Hi Aidan,

Exactly the same issue here on both my ND555 and Qb2. Started yesterday by playing then dropping, playing etc. Now, just plays a snippet of one song, stops, and displays the following message:

Ah, I see Clare is on the case with Steve!

Hopefully, this can be sorted as FiP Rock is my go-to working from home station!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,
Started yesterday with me now I think about it.
This is my first time on the forum - impressed so far. Let’s hope the guru’s can sort it for us.
Cheers,
Aidan

Is this related to another thread: Internet Radio too slow/too fast

Hi Aidan,

Welcome to the Forum! You’ll find it’s a very friendly and helpful place with lots of experienced Naim users eager to share their experience. It’s also sympathetically moderated by @Richard.Dane and Naim staff, as you’ve already seen with @Naim.Marketing, are usually pretty quick to get the ball rolling when issues are raised.

Enjoy your time here!

Cheers,

Ian

2 Likes

Hi,

I don’t think so; this issue seems to be only affecting FiP radio stations and is resulting in no streams at all.

Currently listening to Radio Paradise Rock Mix and it seems to be just fine.

Cheers,

Ian

1 Like

Hi,

There is definitely something broken on Fip’s side. We just play the FIP URL and it seems to redirect to a 3sec test stream then drops the link.

Will have more a dig of what’s going on and then bother them. This one is a bit out of our hands as a FIP issue, not Naim.

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

3 Likes

The Fip radio app showed images of there main mobile app for me briefly on my naim, its actually the best app to look at on android mobile or mac os.

You get the same fault if you open vTuner in a web browser: vTuner Internet Radio

Hi Steve,
Many thanks. Your efforts are appreciated. Hopefully FiP will be sorted shortly.
Regards,
Aidan

Quite right - I’ve just tried that myself. At least it’s not an issue with the Atom. Wipes cold sweat from forehead.

1 Like

Seems to be a vTuner issue as it plays fine directly from FiP over a browser or via the FiP app. It’s a shame there doesn’t seem to be a way of casting the stream from the browser/app; unless I’m missing something?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi,

Have investigated this and this is a case of that FIP have multiple servers and one of them is broken.

So if a DNS lookup is done on icecast.radiofrance.fr it returns:
icecast.radiofrance.fr canonical name = icecasta.prods1public.radiofrance.fr
Name: icecasta.prods1public.radiofrance.fr
Address: 163.172.145.72
Address: 51.158.104.58
Address: 51.158.117.244
Address: 51.15.134.29
Address: 51.158.102.62
Address: 212.47.251.152 <---- BAD
Address: 163.172.182.190
Address: 51.158.65.164

The one at 212.47.251.152 is broken. For example click on this and get the same broken 3sec stream as played on the Naim product: http://212.47.251.152/fip-hifi.aac

It’s up to the DNS resolver on what one is used, but all servers should be working and they’re not.

I’ll aim to notify FIP of the fault in their system.

Best wishes

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

Thanks for the info.

Please note that issue is not limited to FIP, but to all Radio France radios (FIP, France Inter, France Infos, France Musique…)

Radio France (aka FIP) have got back to me and their engineering team are looking into it.

Best regards

Steve

Much appreciated Steve.

I guess we must be unlucky in that our kit is picking the broken server to draw the stream from.

Cheers,

Ian

Until it’s sorted, you can still get all the FIP stations, in low res, via the Radio Garden app.

1 Like

Hi,

Just had confirmation from FIP engineering that they have fixed the issue. I’ve tried it here and all is playing fine on a Uniti Atom.

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

3 Likes

Brilliant Steve. I’ve just tried again this morning and all OK here now. Thanks a lot for taking the time to get involved and help resolve this. Good work. have a great weekend. We’ve now got our favourite radio station to get us through Covid self-isolation. Music really is the best medicine. Cheers, Aidan

1 Like