Problem with internet radio station on Unity Nova

Hello,
I have a Unitiy Nova and use the internet radio station feature on it. A few weeks ago we have started having problems with one of our favorite stations - it cannot start streaming. When we select it, the Nova shows briefly a “connecting” message and then goes to the home screen and does not play anything.

• this station played for months without problem
  • the same station plays over internet on other devices (through web, TuneIn radio on my phone, etc)
  • all other radio stations that we use play fine on Nova, it is just this one.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to further troubleshoot this, and see if it is a problem on the radio station side or on the Nova?

Regards,
Maciek

Hi @Maciek and welcome. Have you tried the basics and unplugged/reset the Nova to see if that solves it?

It’s possible that there is a problem with the vTuner service that Naim use for internet radio. If you get in touch with support, they can often sort these problems out.
Meanwhile, you can use AirPlay or Chromecast to play it on the Nova from your phone.

Yep most certainly a vtuner issue rather then your Nova, contact support and they’ll liaise with vtuner

Hi @Maciek

What is the name of the station that you have troubles playing? Also can you confirm the country that this station based.

Best

Steve

1 Like

Thank you everyone for responses.

I have tried the basics - restart, remove and add back the station, etc. Does not help.
The station is from Washington State, US - local NPR station at 88.5 frequency - KNKX

What’s the best way to contact Nova Support? I could not find a phone number or email on Naim web site.

Maciek

It’s not working here in Europe either, @Stevesky should be able to help or advise

See Stevesky’s post above, he is Naim’s software director, he is the man to help you.

Hi @Maciek

I’ve had a quick Sunday morning look and this seems to be a stream compliance issue that is being broadcast from the station. The links that VTuner are providing for this station are valid. Based on it used to work, I assume the radio station has updated their backend systems and introduced this compliance issue.

As the Stream can play (for example I put the same URL into VLC and it plays), I’ve had to raise a report to the 3rd party company that supplies this decoder (Jira bug no: NAIMSDCCC-1236), as there is something niche going on. The internal debug trace doesn’t give enough info to focus it in, apart from it feels the server is sending corrupt information.

From our side, we’ll investigate and if we can get it working again, we will. While looking into this issue I see they also have a 256kbit AAC stream, so I’ll ask VTuner to add that to their database.

In the meantime, if you could raise a report into our helpdesk ( uniti-support@naimaudio.com ) with your contact details and reference this thread then the support teams can track this issue.

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director

Hi, same problem for me on Uniti Nova: radio stations logo do no longer show. Started some weeks ago, for all Belgian radio stations. First a reset solved the issue, but now this is no longer working. Radio playing is fine, just the logo is missing. Do I wait for a SW update or is there another way to fix this?
Thanks. Joël.
PS: the Naim Radio logo still shows…

Steve, thank you for looking into this. I will send a report to the support team later today.

Maciek

Hello Steve, trying here again, as my inquires with the support are not getting anywhere. I have filed in a support ticket, but have not heard back much about it. Is there a way to check if this issue can be fixed?

Regards,
Maciek

@Stevesky just drawing this to your attention again.
Best

David

Hi @Maciek @joel1,

Regarding the station that won’t play we have had this investigated and the problem is that the station is broadcasting a stream with a non standard http header declaration, which the playback engine is rejecting. We’ve patched the code to accept it, so the station plays now but this code will only go live later this year as it’s in the Qobuz release. If you contact me privately then I could get your unit updated earlier once we get the code into beta state.

Missing logos - this is now fixed. It took some time to get sorted as a legacy third party cdn provider of vtuner had issues. We’re also adjusting the naim firmware to remove references to this older cdn which are referenced in presets that have been saved in the past.

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director

1 Like

Thank you Steve. I am not sure how to contact you privately. The support team has my ticket and the email address, please let me know if this is sufficient to get the software to me.

Maciek

@Maciek Steve works for Naim so his email address is steve.harris@naimaudio.com

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.