Protecting speaker wood finish from sun/uv damage

This would be my choice: 3M™ Sun Control Window Film Ceramic Series.

Here’s a photo of the sun being filtered through my sheer drapes. I’d be curious to know how much this slows the fading process (assuming the UV film has no effect)? My living room gets no direct sun during the summer, but lots of indirect light… does this effect the finish too?

1 Like

Chris, looking at your pic, that amount of light will definitely affect the wood finish. It’s right in a corner surrounded by light (direct and indirect). No amount of UV filtering will help that. I’ve been there and tried many ideas and they all fail. You have to block that light hitting the speaker. Aesthetically, I don’t know your ideal answer. Mine at the moment have a sheet of A0 card leaning behind each one blocking the window light behind. Looks ridiculous, but until I sort something attractive, I don’t care. At least my speakers are fine.

1 Like

Aesthetics are paramount. At this point it appears my options are to have custom covers made (not aesthetically great) or add a solid backing layer to the drapes.

Or I could move to a cave.

I’m sure I recognise your name and linked with your pic, I think your room was amazing from memory. Yes aesthetics are important.

2 Likes

Problem solved.

3 Likes

How did your previous speakers cope. I remember some white Ovators and of course the 88s. Did those suffer from yellowing or fading respectively?

The T88s faded… so slowly I barley noticed. I was considering white ProAc’s but was told they’d yellow in the direct sun.

I have piano black speakers, so I don’t worry about it. I had cherry before, but they darkened naturally with age.

Could you obtain a thin sheet of matching veneer, cut to the same size as the side of your speaker and finished along the exposed edges and place it against the side as a screen?

You don’t like my paper veneer solution? :wink:

1 Like

It looks vastly better than my solution of putting a couple of old bath towels over the front and side when I’m not in the house :rofl:

1 Like

Gorgeous looking speaker, photographed well!

1 Like

Really only have two choices. Get windows tinted, have custom covers made. There’s lots of info on window tint. I think I mentioned I have Llumar Pinnacle F1 Ceramic, 30% on my car it blocks 99% of UV A/B and about 75% of IR.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.