PS for a Preamp only 272

It gives a perfectly smooth increase from 0 to 100 and really is lovely to use. It’s an analogue control but digitally controlled. When you use the knob or the remote the volume level is briefly displayed. It is all very nice. When I owned manual Naim preamps - the 42, 32.5 and 72 - the volume knob was always fine, especially with phono. But with the remote controlled amps, even the 552, it’s all a bit hit and miss. Maybe one day Naim will remedy it.

1 Like

It’s not hard, but is certainly less easy. Most of the volume seems to come in the first third of the rotation.

The operation of the volume on the 272 is superior to a 2*2. But the quality of the volume controller device is not.

If you want a smooth digitally controlled resister ladder that also outperforms a 282, you have to go all the way to a Statement S1 pre. Even the 552 uses a conventional pot.

I accept the criticism but it’s a bit like choosing a Ford Focus over a Bently because the Focus has a cup holder.

3 Likes

Perhaps steering wheel would be a better analogy.

The volume control on the pre amps is fine, a simple nudge on the remote gives all the control needed.

As far as the way forward goes I agree with @anon4489532 in as much as there seems little point as to keeping both the NDS and 272 each with their own 555. If you want to keep the NDS then the 282 or even 252 is the way to go. If not keep the 272 and sell the NDSand wait for the replacement 272, but don’t hold your breath!

Regards,

Lindsay

I don’t understand this volume pot concern. Since when is it overly sensitive? Works flawlessly for me with infinite control. :man_shrugging:

I think sometimes people don’t about one nudge on the preamps.

It will depend on your speakers, and I suppose room size, to some extent. For me with a 282 and easily driven speakers, a ‘nudge’ did so little that it was difficult to hear any change at all, and a press and hold would be enough of a jump to ensure I got a telling off from my wife even if she was at the other end of the house. There was no happy medium. I put up with it for a while, but in my system it was a complete PITA.
The solution, for me, was a Chord DAC with a variable output, which I could use to dial down the input signal to a level that allowed a wider range of the volume pot to be used. With that in place, the pot was quite easy to use, even via System Automation.

2 Likes

I had a 272/555ps set-up, it’s really good (esp. with the 300DR).

Then i wanted to upgrade the source and go for ND555+555ps and keep the bare 272 for preamp duties. While there was more detail from introducing the ND555 to the party, overall it was a set back. Lost PRAT and musicality.

Then, keeping the ND555 in, I removed the 272 and added in a 252. It was better, more refined but overall less engaging, less energy in the sound, vocals taking a step back (as if someone had turned down the volume on the vocals, to some extent).

Then I brought in the 552 and it is superb. The PRAT was back, very engaging, superbly musical, lots of detail, deeper soundstage, emotions in voices like I had not heard before, etc…

Obviously it was a very significant price tag but if I had not been able to make it then I would have sent back both ND555 and 252 to my dealer and would have stayed with 272/555ps.

I had been told, but i had not experienced it till then : the 272/555ps/300DR is a beautiful system and it takes a lot to improve on it.

7 Likes

Chris - yeah I found a double nudge normally fixed things.

:slight_smile: I’m not sure if I wanted to know that, that the next significant step from a 272 555 300 is 555 552 300. Hmmm…

1 Like

I suppose it’s only good news for the one who has decided it’s his end game … :sweat_smile:

But others may feel differently of course, based on the music they listen to, room, ears, etc…

Totally agree.I had an identical experience.
Need to go to ND 555/552 to significantly improve on 272/555PS

1 Like

No - the next significant step from a 272/555 is X72/555.

The best things in life come to those that are willing to hang out and enjoy their 272 for another year…

Meanwhile, if you’re keen for better SQ, you can hone your digital music library, electricity supply, home network, switches, ethernet cables, interconnects, racks, cable dressing, power amp, speaker cables, speakers, room treatments, etc.

1 Like

After getting bored waiting for the 272 upgrade (I had a 272 + 555ps) combination, I first used the 272 as a streamer to a pre amp, and found that as good as the 272 is, the new preamp improved the sound significantly. (The pre amp is non Naim - buts a different subject).

I then changed the 272 for a NDX which gave further improvements.

My conclusion from this is the preamp section, while very good, is actually the limiting factor with the 272… I am not suggesting its bad, but just that streaming section of the 272 is, in relative terms, better than the preamp section.

But for the time I owned the 272, it was a pleasure to use and listen to. In many ways I think the interface is superior to that of the NDX2. (Selection of attached NAS via the remote, random play, etc. Also much better quality remote).

NDX2 should be better than the 272 as it costs a lot more and does a lot less.

I totaly understand the topic starter.
I have owned a 122 a SN1, borrowed for weeks a 252. All three the same problem. Constant searching with the remote for the right volume.
With the 272 i put it just on the volume number i want.
Why is it so difficult for Naim to integrated it in every pre amplifier.
Also with an analog pot it is possible.
I hope that someday the app wil show the same volume value on the device so that i don’t even have to look at the display on the amplifier.

1 Like

The differences are too small and favor each system in different scenarios.
272+555DR vs bare272+NDS+555DR

Therefore I must agree with HH. There’s no point in holding on to the NDS.

Another route would be to go for a different preamp or integrated altogether, given I’m planning on parting ways with my 250DR for a Moon 760A. While keeping the NDS and the 555DR, evidently.

It took me a little while to get used to it but it’s fine now.

Repeated quick taps on the Naim app volume buttons allow to adjust the volume of the 552 with a lot of precision and predictability (no hunting up or down from desired level). And it works almost as well with the remote.

The only awkward part is that the max volume is probably reached when the dial is still around 11 o’clock (my guess as I haven’t tried, but it’s already very loud at 9)

The funny thing is, other purely analogue pots used in other brand’s amps are often even more non linear.

I remember doing the upsell dems from Arcam to Nait 3 or even 92/90, Power-wise the amps would be within 5w of each other. But the Arcam would be deafening at 9 O’clock in the dem room and you’d have to crank the Nait up to 11 to get a similar volume for a fair A/B test. It often gave the false impression that the cheaper Arcam was more powerful and I’d have to explain to customers it was just different pots.

That’s an extreme example of course. Arcam bought into the whole loudness wars with more gusto than almost any other UK manufacturer. Source outputs were pushing 3v and amps were basically maxed out by 10 O’Clock on the dial.

Back then, smooth predictable volume was one of the many reasons I used to prefer Linn. Although it means nothing to me now, I do understand why people get hung up on this.

1 Like