Pulled the trigger on recapped nDAC

Is that reclocking comparable to what the DAC-V1 does via its USB input?

That USB board being an officially licensed implementation of the Audiophilleo circuit if I remember correctly, perhaps @Richard.Dane kan chime in here.

Sounded wonderful to me at the time, with a Macbook Pro running Audirvana and Amarra (very different). And a humble Chord C-USB cable to the DAC-V1 then into the Nait 2.

iFi Zen has USB-out, so does the latest Bluesound Node (will be switched on soon via firmware update), have been thinking recently if all that might also put the DAC-V1 in the spotlight again here.

2 Likes

Yes, the USB input on the DAC-V1 was an Audiophilleo solution.

1 Like

Interesting why does it perform better

Maybe because there’s no losses in an electric connection ?

I guess because of bandwidth and you avoid the double conversion of electrical signals to light signals and vice versa. There are doubtless other reasons too - remember that Toslink was designed to be very inexpensive to implement.

Hi Andersl, have you had a listen

Had you noticed this …

Looks like something is happening.
Hope that helps for now?

KR
R

p.s. I’m sure several of us are also waiting patiently for feedback :wink:

nDAC has improved again, its much more smooth and silky…more homogenous.

This blew me away about halfway through

Here’s another one from the same movie series…

Yes, the Ndac is a great piece of kit, particularly with a 555 nonDR in my view. I have mainly used it with the HDX via DC1 interconnect and also with USB stick in rear input. At today’s prices even better!

Just added a preowned Hiline and it’s very substantial uplift.

4 Likes

Surprisingly a Powerline also is a nice uplift.

5 Likes

Wish you hadn’t confirmed the powerline is worthwhile lol

There’s another 400 quid gone on a used powerline for our nDAC then. Was always on the cards tbh we have powerlines on everything else :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry about that lol. If it helps I waited for almost a year without one my nDac.

I think I’ve lost the plot here, but is the questioner running the DAC with an XPS?

I once had an nDAC - regretting i sold it reading this thread.
I was looking in the future when funds allow to get an NDX2 - which i will add a 555.

However would an ND5XS2 into a nDAC/555 be better/equal?

One more box yes - but cheaper.
Not too worried about a screen on the streamerr - so how do the nDAC and the NDX2 dacs compare?

2 Likes

Yup.

Ok, I admit, I have never had an NDX2 at home.

Just twice at dealers’ listening rooms, with and without 555DR.

So not a fair fight, context-wise.

But - and it’s a Big Butt - the nDAC wins because:

It’s separates.
It’s got a better DAC chip.

That’s my ha’penny.

Jim

2 Likes

i like this.
streaming changes so much not like dac and amplification.

i was unclear the ndac dac was “better”

so in some ways it s he most future proof solution!

love to hear from someone who disagrees

1 Like

Well, whether it’s a better dac chip is ultimately subjective, but the nDAC has the same dac chip as the NDS and the ND555, iirc.

Of course, the dac chip is literally a small piece of the overall puzzle, and what matters is the system synergy and set up as a whole.

2 Likes

All of this talk of the nDAC lately had me VERY curious, so I did end-up getting a really choice, looked to be barely used nDAC; even the box looked like it was just off the shelf.

Now, unfortunately, there was a mishap in the interim of receiving it, as my SuperCap went sideways and I had to have it sent in. I was afraid it took out my NAC 252, as there was no music, except very faintly in one speaker. That was almost a couple of months without a system to listen to, but it came back and I just got everything back up-and-running this past Tuesday, so not much time with it.

My system now is NAC252/NAP250DR/NDX2/XPS-DR/nDAC/SuperCap. A lot of boxes, but they all fit on my IsoBlue rack system and looks quite nice. I moved the XPS-DR from the NDX2 to the nDAC, as it seems that is the consensus here and the way to go. So far I cannot report anything substantial, as I am just getting a feel of it, but I do see the allure here.

6 Likes

Stir gently and run a bunch of music through it…at some point you should get surprised and then it will happen more and more often. At least thats what has happened for me.

1 Like