Pulled the trigger on recapped nDAC

May need some time to settle as well since it was just serviced. Was this the lovely one at the dealer in the Pacific Northwest?

Yep. Seattle.

Might as well get a HiLine and PowerLine for it…not sure what plug the HiLine goes into though.

I had my eye on that one as well and poof it was gone lol

I had been asking about where to get one and just happened to see it and there was no hesitation! hehe

It’s massive, larger than my Nait XS.

Nicely explained…
Had a similar experience when I added an nDAC too.
Lovely to read someone find the right words to describe the experience.

Enjoy

KR
R

I was missing a LOT of bass guitar, and bass in general. But I didn’t know.

Like when you listen to music in a car or on headphones, etc…you never know how much bass you are missing because…its missing. So listening on my real system is the only way to get a reference.

Today it sounds a bit wooly to me, but I may have overdone the listening because I’ve been listening to everything and may have tired my hearing out. This also could be break-in changes.

Jazz sounds 100% better, omg you can aurally see every musician and the bass is prevalent. The instruments are more defined down on the lower end.

I think my Source is better than my amp now.

1 Like

Some thoughts on an external PSU for the nDAC.

I have both a CDX and an nDAC, but only one XPS (olive variety). Normally, the XPS powers the nDAC, but a couple of days ago, I moved it back to the CDX while testing a new interconnect (CDX to NAC82). The CDX-XPC-IC combo sounded exceptionally fine.

So this evening I started streaming to the nDAC sans XPS, using my ‘goto’ test track (Dire Straits: “Ride Across the River”, my test track for many years)

Hmmm, not good, sound very “closed in”, almost muffled. So I put the XPS back on the nDAC, and played the same track. A significant difference in spaciousness & clarity.

Obviously I now need another XPS… :expressionless:

3 Likes

Isn’t it fun…

Myself, although I hear all sorts of changes when I make some positive improvement on my system, always the most obvious is with the bass notes.

I’ve now got favourite tracks, that I know have beautifully recorded kick drums, or cello’s, or double bass or just bass guitar. My wife thinks I’m mad because I sit listening concentrated to the bass guitar on so many albums, with a big grin.

The better your system gets, the better the bass - attack - energy - definition - control - inflection - tone.

There you go, given you some “words to explain” back :wink:

Hope you’re having fun…

3 Likes

I do so much love my humble Ndac,
The bass goes so much lower than my previous cd sources.
I’m not using it with any power supply. It all sounds so balanced without one, when listening I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything.
But yes, take some time, care and thought over what cables you use with it.
(If using that dc1 cable - you will definitely need a power supply upgrade :star_struck:)

4 Likes

Heard the nDAC a few times and it’s such a well built and great sounding DAC. Every year or two, a new latest and greatest DAC comes along yet the nDAC holds so well after all these years. You’ve made a wise choice. Enjoy.

2 Likes

I’m thinking of using a HiLine and Powerline with it.

2 Likes

“(If using that dc1 cable - you will definitely need a power supply upgrade :star_struck:)”

Why would the power supply upgrade be needed with the DC1 cable?

When I tried that cable, it made the soundstage smaller between my speakers and system.

Not my experience at all when using it between CD5XS and nDAC. I compared it with a couple of Chord cables (up to twice the price) lent by my dealer. In blind testing I couldn’t reliably tell the difference between them, so opted for DC1 on the basis that Naim used it in the development of the nDAC and I reckoned they knew what they were doing!

Roger

3 Likes

I use a DC1 between ND5XS2 and Naim DAC/555DR.

I do not think in terms of ‘soundstages’.

I tune into the music, and into the tone, texture and body of the instruments.

(I almost always listen to instrumental jazz, sans vocals).

Last night, for example, I played this live album by Haden, Bley & Motian and I felt like I was in the front row at this gig.

[Obviously, if I had a Nordost cable instead it would have been much more engaging!]

2 Likes

But what about the HiLine which Richard suggested?

Difference between DC1 and HiLine?

Apples and Oranges; the DC1 being a digital coax interconnect and the Hi-line being analogue. FWIW I think both suit the Naim DAC very well, as you might expect.

1 Like

ah ok I have digital coax right now I think its chord Fire or something like that is red. But I wanted to upgrade to analog. :smiley:

Do you have pictures of how the HiLine connects in the back, or can you describe it?

Seriously?

Yeah, why do you ask?

I mean specifically which port to use for either NAIT XS or SN3…