Purchased a Nap-300 today

Did the same move myself 2 months ago. Even if many (I can only assume envious…) people name the 300 as a 250 in 2 boxes, it’s a completely different amp. It’s more settled down (where 250 was edgy sometimes), obviously much better at lower volumes, bigger soundstage, better separation etc etc. And that with the stock interconnect, while on the 250 I had the Super Lumina.
Happy I did the upgrade :partying_face:

4 Likes

I don’t really want to ask how much more improvement I’ll find when I switch out the sn3 currently handling pre-amp duties for the intended 282, but I’m sure someone will enlighten me shortly…

Yes, as per my profile. Still happy with it, but well aware that the consensus will be that a 282 would be a big step up!

1 Like

A fair amount!

I sat back when I did that change, lol.

1 Like

Yes it is a huge step i went from 250 to 300 myself and love it…

1 Like

Great speaker i have sopra 2 with 300dr great together.

3 Likes

I am looking to upgrade my SN3 and have home demo’d a few non- Naim brands. Big improvements but big price and any room mode issues get magnified. Did you try any others? Did you have a separate power supply to the 252 given that the 300 comes with one? I plan to try the two so be good to know what to look for from those who have made the journey.

my main system as follows mate. NDS with 555ps, 252 with supercap dr, sopra 1. i had a nap250 dr but changed to a 300dr this week. i always think naim is a complete system, its a bit like lego and all the lego blocks fit together nicely. i wouldnt look at adding other brands to a naim system if you like what naim does. hope thats useful

2 Likes

NDS/555/252/300 make a perfectly balanced system imo. I know cos I owned this system myself.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Hi Stu,
Reading between the lines, you are surely not suggesting that what you have now is unbalanced

Maybe a little. But in a good way!

I went from 202+200+hicapdr to 282+300dr+hicapdr, the 250dr tested and failed on my Dynaudios.
Now I could swap my 282+hicapdr to a 252+supercapdr.

80% of inprovment comes from supercapdr.
Already tested at home.

It’s a superb amp, it really transformed my system, loads of grip and effortless in its delivery. Congratulations.

2 Likes

Thank you mate, and its getting better as the days go by

5 Likes

You have no choice but to use a Supercap with the 252.

Having visited my dealer it was not long into a listen I was Shelling out Upgrading to a 300 Dr which are currently on Sale here in Australia. Having a Nac 272 Pre,was looking for a Matching PowerAmp to Suit. Guys I’ll have too disagree somewhat as I listen to everything from Jazz right through to Hard Rock and Heavy Metal. Exclusions would be Classical and Country,which the Naim Excel at.

Yes it’s certainly powerful, enough to shake the Foundation and even move gyprock from the walls. All that PRAT that is spoken about is in spades,however the 300Dr can not play Hard Rock or Metal, it seems to be quite Shrill, seems to yell at you and gets rather loose in rendering of Instruments.
However play Contemporary Rock or easy Listening music is Fantastic, bass,detail separation is all there and is Amazing.

Iam over 3000km to my nearest Dealer so I can not get a home demo or swap out Equipment.
Iam running Monitor Audio 8i as they are a Cherished speaker for approximately 23 years,thinking it’s probably the metal dome tweeter or the c-cam drivers.
I was running Naim A5 and they were just horrendous had some old A4 and tamed it somewhat.
Still using the Straw Naim supplied to connect the Amp and Power Supply. I’m thinking Upgrade to Morgana XLR when I have funds as this could be a major bottleneck.
I have also upgraded the home power supply from 10amp to 15amp directly to switchboard, so there’s no bottle neck there either and running Russ Andrews Reference Power cable. In Australia we get the freebie kettle power cord, not even the Naim Powerlite which UK receive.

My room is large 9m x 6m tiled floors which probably does not help but a large 5 seater couch.

Upgrades I’m considering Morgana XLR
Witch Hat Spectre or Phantom Speaker Cable
ISO Acoustic Feet on Speakers.
Possibly some ATC or Spendor Speakers but I’d have to Rob a bank for a set in Oz.

However listening to Spotify Currently as it’s Catalog is Amazing, Heard Airplay is atrocious and Tidals Catalog does not interest me considering MQA has gone belly up.

Probably go back to my Musical Fidelity 23 year old A3 Pre Power.

Sorry guys to be a downer on the 300Dr Parade but that is findings at this very Moment.

Cheers

Hi Gavmic, I think this is likely down to the NAC272 rather than the 300 DR. I have the 300 DR on a 552 DR with a NDX2/555 PS and it excels on Hard Rock. I would expect that a seperate source and better pre-amp would improve things dramatically. Cabling can reduce that slight shrill you get with Naim on Hard Rock, but it will only get you so far in my experience, it is really the source and pre that will hold things together when the going gets rough.

2 Likes

Oh, and what power supply are you running with the 272?

1 Like

@Gavmic As someone with a 300 DR (also bought recently due to the Aussie clearance prices) who listens to metal 80-90% of the time, the 300 DR are amazing for the genre. Hell, I was listening to Emperor just earlier and it handled it with aplomb, along with plenty of other wirey, lean music.

It’s not the 300 DR. Something else is the culprit.

3 Likes