Putting the AI to good use, almost

I started dabbling around writing my own controller for minim-server (especially with the songkong metadata) but more interesting metadata is a sometimes problem.

So I came to think of the old bullsh*t generator, the ChatGPT. I integrated it into my app but you can just install any ChatGPT-client and ask away. Integration just give the slight advantage of automatically indentifying current song and album.

Examples below are with GPT 3.5. There are some problems with what they call hallicunations (ChatGPT inventing its own facts). The claim is v4 will reduce this. I thought Brian Wilson produced Pet Sounds or was George Martin involved?

One classical and one pop example:

Playing a track on a xenakis album I asked: tell me more about this work and list the names of the performers? And got the answer:

“Dikhthas” is a composition by the renowned Greek composer Iannis Xenakis. It is a complex work for solo violin and solo percussion that showcases Xenakis’ interest in using mathematical and scientific principles to create music.

This particular recording of “Dikhthas” features the violinist Irvine Arditti and percussionist Steven Schick. The album with catalogue no. WER61782 is titled “Xenakis: Arditti String Quartet, Schick Percussion Ensemble” and was released by the Wergo label in 1991.

The album features a selection of Xenakis’ works, including “Pleiades,” “Peaux,” and “Rebonds.” It is considered a landmark recording in the interpretation of Xenakis’ music, particularly for the precision and intensity of the performances by Arditti and Schick.

Overall, “Dikhthas” and the other works on this album represent some of the most challenging and innovative music of the 20th century, and continue to inspire and challenge musicians and audiences alike.

Then …

On playing Lucy on Sgt Pepper I asked: tell me more about this song, list all the players, list ten other albums the producer produced. And got:

The current track you are listening to is “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds” from the iconic album “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.” Released in 1967, the album marked a significant milestone in the history of popular music, with its groundbreaking concept and innovative musical style.

“Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds” is a surreal and psychedelic masterpiece that showcases the genius of John Lennon’s songwriting and the band’s unparalleled musical talents. The track features a mesmerizing melody, dreamy harmonies, and intricate instrumentation that include distorted guitars, a swirling organ, and an Indian tambura.

The song’s lyrics were inspired by a drawing that John’s son Julian made of a classmate named Lucy, and it has been the subject of much speculation and controversy regarding its supposed references to LSD. Nevertheless, the song’s enduring popularity and influence in popular culture are undeniable.

The players on “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds” are John Lennon on lead vocals and acoustic guitar, Paul McCartney on harmony vocals and bass, George Harrison on lead guitar, Ringo Starr on drums, and session musicians Jimmie Nicol and Mal Evans on percussion and sound effects.

The album was produced by Sir George Martin, who is widely regarded as one of the greatest producers in the history of popular music. Martin produced numerous classic albums for The Beatles, including “Revolver,” “Rubber Soul,” and “The White Album.” He also produced many other legendary artists, such as Elton John, Jeff Beck, and Celine Dion, among others.

Here are ten other albums that George Martin produced:

1. “Pet Sounds” by The Beach Boys
  2. “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” by Elton John
  3. “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars” by David Bowie
  4. “Tug of War” by Paul McCartney
  5. “In My Life” by Judy Collins
  6. “Rattle That Lock” by David Gilmour
  7. “Living in the Material World” by George Harrison
  8. “All Things Must Pass” by George Harrison
  9. “Don’t Shoot Me I’m Only the Piano Player” by Elton John
  10. “Songs in the Key of Life” by Stevie Wonder.
1 Like

Ummm! Given the two George’s never got on and George Martin was always putting George Harrison down I find this information hard to believe.

In fact looking at the list it all looks a bit suspect.

Sure, it probably is. A hallucination in ChatGPT often seems to happen when it loses track in a new sentence and runs off on a strange tangent by finding a word match that binds harder. They measure the distance between words to determine the binding strength.

ChatGPT is pure language model, it doesn’t know the difference between a cat and a turntable. And it has no idea if the output is true or false. Why they call it AI beats me.

I am going to try GPT 4 later today. Some claim it is much better in this area.

1 Like
  1. Gus Dudgeon. 10. Stevie Wonder himself.
    I wonder from where the data is retrieved? A few others are wrong as well, can’t think he did Dave Gilmours album.
    How do you do the integration, I’m assuming there’s an api?

5 Judy Collins ‘In My Life’ was produced by Mark Abramson. Song written by Lennon McCartney and on the Beatles original George Martin played the piano bridge.

That list is dodgy, but tracing who produced what is more complex and ambiguous than it first appears. The errors will help train future versions, I guess.

Interesting (as in annoying) that ChatGPT mentions “the genius of John Lennon’s songwriting” without according Paul McCartney the same respect. Lennon was one of our greatest songwriters, obviously. But McCartney is better, IMO.

Depressing to see that the wretched and misused word “iconic” is infecting AI.

1 Like

Obviously! Ha.

1 Like

The beta of ChatGPT 4 does better on Sgt Pepper, so maybe I can use it for metadata after all. But there is still a limit how many queries one is allowed each day. It is also 10x more expensive. About 1 dollar for 1000 queries. So maybe one should cache it in CoreData on iOS.

ChatGPT 4:

“Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” is a fascinating track from the Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Super Deluxe Edition) album. This song was written primarily by John Lennon, with contributions from Paul McCartney, and was inspired by a drawing made by Lennon’s son, Julian. The title is often mistakenly thought to be a reference to LSD due to the acronym it forms, but both Lennon and McCartney have denied this connection.

The musicians playing on this track are:

1. John Lennon - vocals, guitar, and keyboards
  2. Paul McCartney - bass guitar, harmony vocals, and keyboards
  3. George Harrison - lead guitar and tambura
  4. Ringo Starr - drums and maracas
  5. George Martin - piano

George Martin, who produced the album, was a highly accomplished producer and had an extensive career. Here are ten other albums he produced:

1. Please Please Me (1963) - The Beatles
  2. With The Beatles (1963) - The Beatles
  3. A Hard Day’s Night (1964) - The Beatles
  4. Beatles for Sale (1964) - The Beatles
  5. Help! (1965) - The Beatles
  6. Rubber Soul (1965) - The Beatles
  7. Revolver (1966) - The Beatles
  8. Magical Mystery Tour (1967) - The Beatles
  9. The Beatles (1968) - The Beatles, also known as “The White Album”
  10. Abbey Road (1969) - The Beatles

In addition to his work with The Beatles, George Martin also produced albums for various other artists throughout his career.

It’s worth remembering that GPT4 has no ears.

One can debate whether it has the equivalent of a brain or intelligence.

But as it has no ears it cannot hear music.

GPT4 may be able to use the word music appropriately in a sentence, but it has no idea what that sentence means.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.