Putting the amplifier on iso acoustics feet

Good to know. I apologise as my earlier post was focusing more on sound quality rather than vibration.

1 Like

Not entirely true. They can be used for audio equipment too. Their own website says, “The ISO-Puck series are most commonly used with studio monitors, guitar amps and other audio equipment which are often black in color.”

The Iso-Pucks and Orea are more or less the same type of isolation device, but marketed and packaged differently.

4 Likes

No need to apologize, you made a good point, perhaps the better one since ultimately it’s about how it sounds.

1 Like

SO, they should “sing” ?

1 Like

:large_blue_diamond: IsoAcoustic Orea Bronze works well under my Sean Jacobs DC3 linear powersupply,.which stands on three pieces of Orea Bronze.

NOTE: It is important to stay within the weight limits,.see below…

The boxes and fraim certainly sing, just try shouting next to it and you can hear it easily ring though it all, but then alloy box sections are certainly going to separately when not filled or dampened in anyway.

I think a better description is Ringing. I remember when I got my SN2 how much the case would Ring when tapped. Resonances or Ringing is never a good thing with an Audio product.

1 Like

This is from @Richard.Dane regarding Ringing.

DG…

1 Like

:100:

Also not wanting to be argumentative, but your description of mechanical ground reflection, which I don’t know much about, happens to be the same as electrical ground reflection, which I do know a lot about. Its a common misunderstanding it appears in audiophile circles that ground or earth magically dissipate or channels high frequency voltages to ground… it doesn’t unless carefully designed and indeed then typically for only certain wavelengths and RF energy can indeed reflect back and cause issues… so the two would appear similar and perhaps not so different at all.

1 Like

Indeed Richard, but that is a contentious view. Ringing or resonating based metal cases will interact with close by electrical circuits in the limit. It may well be it adds a certain ‘je ne sais quoi ‘ to the performance of the electronics in certain designs, but other manufacturers prefer to add their magic in other ways and reduce ringing or avoid metal cases altogether. I think it’s fair to say ringing or resonating metal cases is not normally a good thing with audio designs other than with some notable exceptions from certain manufacturers like Naim.

Simon, I can only repeat what others have long heard and reported (including yours truly); plenty of people have listened to the kit where you had a case damper that could be applied or not. In the great majority of cases performance was preferred without the damper applied. Remember that with Naim kit much of the critical circuitry within is of course decoupled from the chassis. Certainly any time I’ve tried case damping on Naim kit or tried materials such as sorbothane feet (as just one example) on the kit, I have preferred it without.

I do wonder whether the nature of the extruded case and its great internal stresses does something here, but not sure how or why.

The New Classic boxes do not resonate or ring, while all the OC boxes I’ve had did. The Nait 50 is of the old case type but resonates little probably because it’s smaller.
Apart from if perhaps the NC case itself, I believe the acrylic middle part dampens the NC boxes (no long metal planes)?

The current LP12 subchassis all ring, Majik good ring, Kore better, Keel best ring :blush:

I use these on my CD player (which obviously has moving parts) - it certainly made a difference , intuitively I would not use them on the amplifier

On the whole pleased with the upgrade they made on the CD player

PS Yes, spot the mistake, funny thing is when I sorted it out, it made zero difference to the sound

This is exactly how i had my amp. The weird thing is that the amp came back without a repair but the humming/vibration sound was gone. Only difference is I forgot to put it on the feet.

It may well be that the thing causing the humming was no longer in use. It’s often stuff on the mains that cases hum, things like hair straighteners, electric blankets and the like. This is more likely if you don’t have dedicated mains.

1 Like

The hum started suddenly. I didn‘t introduce anything new. Is it possible that some neighbour cause it? I live in a big apartment building. I think the electrical system is quite old, but every apartment has own breaker switch in a common electrical panel.

It’s entirely possible.

As Nigel says - it’s entirely possible - particularly if they are on the same phase as you.