QNAP NAS waking up too often

And there was me hoping some clever person would say ‘disable X and it will sleep like a baby’! I certainly don’t want to be turning it on and off manually, I just want to be able to play music easily, yet have it snoozing the rest of the time. It seems there is no easy answer.

Not sure if this will have any effect for you, but my Synology does a lot of logging, which of course would require the disks to be spinning to save those logs. Most of my logs seem irrelevant for me, so I’ve turned off what I can (which doesn’t seem to be a lot), so may be worth doing the same on your QNAP.

HH if you would like it silent, there is a facility to have an auto power off between hours you select (once set no manual intervention). It can be daily at your choice, say 22.00 to 07.00 or set different times for the weekend. From the you tube vid from QNAP, if you need it outside the hours you set, you simply push the power button, to power on. At the next off time, it will revert to preset off/on hours. I haven’t tried this, ymmv. Hope that helps.
I’ll post later where to find the settings when I check my nas and os version number.

As I said in my previous post, I found the single most effective change that reduced wake ups to just a few (2 to 5) per 24 hours when my Synology was not in use, was to turn off SMB (Server Message Block)
When loading an album via my laptop (Win) it takes just a few extra seconds to open the NAS & re-enable SMB on (& off again when finished)

Thanks Mike. I’ve no idea what SMB is or does, so I’ll look it up. I’m not keen on fiddling with settings each time I load an album though.

g’morning HH
It’s hardly a fiddle on my Synology, its probably about 5 seconds.
I will already have the laptop open to upload an album, I just open the Synology screen on the laptop, open Control Panel>File Services>SMB Settings, tick the Enable SMB service checkbox & click Apply.

How to do it on QNAP … over to you.

This is the service that allows you to map a drive from your PC/Mac to the NAS drive. You will use this when copying Music to the NAS, plus also use it if you use it to access your files from Windows Explorer.

For example, in an office based environment, it might be your H: drive

These are the only apps active on my Qnap nas.

Miniserve for streaming NAS to Qb.

Squeezebox for streaming Qobuz.

Backup is done from PC.

No auto scanning in Miniserve.

If you can access the NAS easily (or switch), disconnect the Ethernet cable at night. Stops other things communicating with the nas.

Thanks. When I copy files to the NAS, they show up in the Naim app immediately, without me doing anything. I’d always assumed that it was Asset that was doing this, rather than the Qnap, but that may be wrong. I certainly don’t want to stop them appearing automatically.

The settings for scanning music folder will be set in Asset.
Is it possible Asset is performing a full scan, as opposed to scan for changes. I’ve not used Asset for years, so can’t remember how it works, but seem to recall it was continually scanning.

Agreed they do seem to take ages to boot up, my 4 bay QNAP takes around 10-15 minutes to boot and everything be available, but in Power settings is the ability to enable a Start/Stop on a time Schedule, I have mine set to shut down late night then fire up next day allowing time for the boot to complete before I am likely to need/use it, if I want to use before the scheduled start I switch on manually then go and make a brew :slight_smile:
Mine is not just used as a Music Server, it serves as a Video Server, Photo, Document, PC Backup Store, I only use the QNAP apps, so Music Station (my cloth ears cant hear any difference between this and other software ), Video Station, Photo Station,.
I use QSYNC to Sync files between PC’s and the NAS, I have security Cameras that backup their onboard memory daily to the QNAP.
I shut down at night because a) the NAS is not in use, b) power saving, we are all being encouraged to save energy so just thought I would do my little bit.

1 Like

I would agree with Richards comments on the scheduled power down/up.
I did try this a few months back in the effort to save a few pence on the my electric bill and it does shut the NAS down. However I found that this functionality locked up my ND5XS, which needed a power off and on to recover every day, so I abandoned that strategy.

Thanks. I’m not going to schedule a power down, I’m just trying to find out whether any of the things I’ve got running are what’s keeping it awake and which could be turned off without messing anything up.

On the first row you should be able to safely disable the 1st, 4th and 5th applications. Qboost and the SSD Profiling tool can be stopped as well. I would also try disabling the qulog tool as this is optional.

I think you can disable some more but need to check when back home, I am currently in Norway and the QNAP is switched off.

Ooh, Norway, a place I’d love to visit. Thanks for the tips, and enjoy your holiday.

1 Like

Norway is one of my favourite destinations, we’ve never been this early and the scenery has been breathtaking and the weather has been better than at home.

Currently listening to the Stavanger Gospel Choir onboard the ship. Boy can they sing!

I start mine manually and shut it down manually. If i can’t do that then I’ll get a turntable instead.

If that works for you that’s great, but I don’t want to do that. I want to sit down and play music without touching the Qnap. I just want it to wake up when required, and quietly slumber when not. A Nas isn’t designed to be turned on and off.

3 Likes

That’s what subscriptions are for? I don’t find it a big deal with the QNAP. In the grand scheme of things, it’s pretty useless really.

It’s not useless if all your music lives on it!