Qobuz gapless playback via Chromecast built-in

You can also try mconnect. It shoud play gapless.

For me best way is using bubble upnp server and Kazoo with my 272. Work gapless and transcode to wav on my qnap.

How many times do I have to repeat myself. This is all about the new streamers not legacy, None of the old ways work at all for getting Gapless via ChromeCast or UPnP
for Qobuz.

1 Like

Legacy kit that just happens to do what you’d expect it to do!

1 Like

Over the past day or so I have revisited the Qobuz desktop app on a Mac rather than going to Audirvana+ for Qobuz over UPnP, or accessing it via a proxy server. Selecting the Beta DNLA/UPnP for audio output to a new Naim streamer, I’m finding the SQ to be very good, much better than I expected from the stand alone app. Except for one thing, that is, at the end of a song/movement, the music often stops instead of moving on to the next piece in the play queue. When this happens the UPnP connection is lost and has to be selected to restart the play list. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Yep did it for me all the time.

Reverting once again to type, the answer is perhaps Roon when it acquires Qobuz support which if rumours are correct will be while Teresa May is still Prime Minister. This will give full gapless on all new Uniti / ND machines just like it does with Tidal.

.sjb

1 Like

But that adds the cost of a Roon subscription to the Qobuz subscription making it a very expensive option. If, like me, you see no real benefit to using Roon that makes this a non starter.

Yes, just not reliable enough to use to my Nova - ok it’s in beta but my hopes aren’t high. Airplay works well again, but of course you only get CD quality with that.

In fact the whole Desktop app has been a bit of a pain - it lost loads of downloads once for me during an upgrade.

I’m eagerly awaiting the Qobuz integration, let’s hope it actually comes about.

My only issue with Roon is that I’d like to be able to have more than 1 Core installation as I boot different drives on my Mac Mini and it’s annoying that you can’t install several times with a single instance of Core being available at aby one time. It would help if they offered additional core licenses at a discount but they don’t AFAICS.

We also have the problem where some people actually think Roon quality is not as good as streaming from a NAS or local files. I like Roon a lot but don;t use it as often as I should perhaps.

In the Naim universe a Roon subscription is relatively inexpensive, a lifetime subscription for less than a powerline. But if it’s not for you, it’s not for you. It might be an option for others.

.sjb

1 Like

Yes there is a workaround for Android devices.

The there are two API that the people who write the apps can use to connect via Chromecast.
The first is very simple and that is the one they use, but it doesn’t support gapless - it’s not the fault of Google (/chromecast) but the intentional choice of the app writers.
The second is more complicated to implement (so they don’t use it) but it does support gapless.

The work around is to cast the screen on the android device rather than just casting from the app.

I think that effectively doubling the price of the Qobuz subscription makes it a non starter as it’s really not all that different to Tidal - not worth twice the price in any universe. I accept it’s not “all that much” in the Naim universe, but it shouldn’t be necessary- I, and I’m sure others, don’t care who is at fault (if anyone), but just want it to work as Tidal does and without additional products having to be obtained.

If you’re going to make other use of Roon then obviously that’s a different value proposition* but using Roon exclusively as a method to use Qobuz isn’t really the way forward, whatever I think of Roon and it’s use (or lack of) to me; I’m aware there are many who think it’s marvelous and I’d not argue with their choice, I’m happy with that, we’re not all the same. And Qobuz works properly for you too :slight_smile:

*10 bulldroppings bingo points for that one ?

1 Like

Well, this is interesting.

Qobuz integration with Roon - great bonus for me as an existing Roon user.

The really interesting thing is that I played a gapless album and it played gapless - great the Roon proprietary RAAT engine solves the issue I concluded, then realised my Nova appears twice in the Zones - it was actually playing back via Google Cast not the RAAT engine which also gave me gapless.

So, a properly written app can stream gapless via Chromecast built-in on a Mac - question is whether or not Qobuz have the ability to implement it in their iOS app, which they have failed to do to date.

Yes ChromeCast is quite capable of gapless, Google Play manages it. Roon worked very closely with Google on implementing ChromeCast support as endpoints, to get the best SQ out of it and as you have discovered gapless.

The frustration for many is that the older streamers managed gapless playback quite happily using other older protocols whereas the new streamers have changed something and no longer can with those older methods (they never had Chromecast either), unless playing via the Naim app to access local/NAS storage.

So is there something Naim can revert to in a future update for the newer streamers/Uniti series to allow systems to play gapless without all the hoops or using Roon, which I like, but won’t be to everyone’s taste.

That’s up to them, I guess. But it doesn’t seem high on the agenda

No it certainly doesn’t - I think it would be nice to have some clarification from Naim on this - if Chromecast built-in gapless support requires specific methods for it to work it would be useful to know which apps/companies support this kind of playback, and we could then individually request this sort of support from Qobuz etc if they don’t currently support it.

The specs for the new streamers/Unitis state gapless playback for all formats, but I’m not sure that’s accurate if there are qualifying factors.

Cavet is Gapless ( only via Naim App) why would anyone want to use something else than our lovely app. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You wonder if they’re missing the fact that it’s fine for services directly accessed from the Naim app, but not for those provided by 3rd party ‘helper’ apps using Chromecast.

1 Like

Nobody from Naim around here who can comment on all this?

What about a possible integration of Qobuz in Naim streamers via a firmware update?

Is there any hope of solving in a not too remote future the gapless playback issue when streaming Qobuz via the Google Cast protocol (ChromeCast Built-In)?